Now it's my Thyroid!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Now it's my Thyroid!!! Now it's my Thyroid!!!

Unread 02-27-2004, 03:40 AM
Now it's my Thyroid!!!

A week ago I had my first appt. with a new internist. Thought it best to have a medical doctor at the stern of all my healthcare now, and believe me this woman left no stone unturned. During my exam she found my thyroid to be somewhat enlarged on the right side, and scheduled me for an ultrasound to check it out. Had the test the other day, and the tech informed me that my thyroid was full of nodules. Needless to say I freaked. Although she said she was not a doctor, and could not diagnose, she had seen this many times, and to her it looked like a "garden variety goiter", and having lots of nodules was a better sign than just one ?, and thought possibly the radiologist may want to biopsy the largest one. Boy, did I leave that office quite blue. Don't know if I am over reacting to this, but since my surgery, I have been in the mind frame of I have had enough of poking and prodding. So here we go with another wait and see!!! Anyway, just needed to vent this and thanks for listening to my woes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Now it's my Thyroid!!!

Hi,

Thought I'd let you know that you're not alone!! My routine CT scan last June showed a portion of the thyroid, which they thought was slightly enlarged. My GYN/ONC told me to follow-up with my internist, who ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a multi-nodular goiter (enlarged thyroid with multiple nodules on both sides of the thyroid), and I was referred to an endocrinologist.

My thyroid bloodwork is normal (have had three sets of blood taken), and the endocrinologist told me I have a "garden variety multinodular goiter" and he wanted to follow me every four months. I will also be having yearly thyroid ultrasounds to make certain that everything remains stable. They are more concerned if the goiter begins compressing on the esophagus, thus affecting breathing and swallowing. If that happens or if it gets much larger, then they recommend a thyroidectomy.

Like you, I was upset when this got diagnosed, but was told not to go home and worry about thyroid cancer! I also have thyroid issues in my family. I'm pretty sure my mom had a nodule or more on her thyroid, and she had a partial thyroidectomy done when I was a child. My dad was and my sister is on thyroid medicine, so my endocrinologist was not surprised that I had the multinodular goiter.

There's some good information on thyroid conditions at thyroid.about.com. I also had a neighbor that recently had a thyroidectomy for a single suspicious nodule. I guess lots of nodules are good in our cases!!
Unread 02-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Now it's my Thyroid!!!

Hi,

First of all, I am sorry to hear of another problem for your but secondly, I do have a question for you. Are you cold all the time??? I work with a girl who is unusually cold and we are on a constant battle of turn the blowers on, turn the blowers off etc.

Everyone always says that if you are constantly cold, your thyroid may be to blame. She says that her blood work, for thyroid, is totally normal. Maybe she needs further testing.

Any thoughts on this matter.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Now it's my Thyroid!!!

Thank you both for replying to my post. I got the call yesterday from my doctor, and she wants to have this biopsied date scheduled 3/24/04. She told me that both she and the radiologist are not suspicious of a cancer since no calcifications, etc. were seen, but want to be cautious doing a biopsy.

Yes, thyroid disease runs in my family. My mother also a uterine cancer survivor, had a severe case of hyperthyroid which came about shortly after the birth of me some 47 years ago and required a subtotal thyroidectomy. My older sister is currently on thyroid supplements for Hypothyroid.

I guess it all could be worse, but I have just about had enough with illness. I lost my husband suddenly from a heart attack two years ago, and since it has been one medical issue after another, and no time between to catch my breath. Plus, I am a nurse and am surrounded by illness 40 hours a week. I look so forward to the day when I can put all this illness stuff behind me, retire from nursing, and sell sea shell by the sea shore in Key West!!!

Thanks again for lending a supportive ear.
Unread 02-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Now it's my Thyroid!!!

Hi,
Just read your post. I had a thyroidectomy twelve years ago. I had multiple cysts and nodules. In my case it was thought to be cancer. As it turned out, it was not, but I have struggled with hypothyroidism ever since.

At that time, the internet was not around - hard to believe, but true! I went to the library and gathered as much information as I could. Let me just say, if I knew then what I know now, I might have done things differently. I would have at least challenged my doctors more. I felt terrible, and they kept telling me it was in my head because the blood tests showed I was in normal range.

So, gather as much information as you can. Thyroid problems are easily misdiagnosed. The web site Gail mentioned, www.thyroid.about.com, is excellent.

If there is anything I can help with, please feel free to PM me if you'd like.

----Rosalie, your friend may be hypothyroid - feeling cold all the time is one symptom. I am often bundled up when everyone else is sweating. Even after a vigorous workout, my skin, hands and feet are cold to the touch.
Unread 02-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Now it's my Thyroid!!!

I had my thyroid removed about 4 to 5 years ago. It was cancerous. The doctor said there were two places on my thyroid that was cancerous and it was not found out until I had the thyroid removed and they tested it. I had a fine needle aspiration years ago testing for cancer and it was not found. My primary physician told me that if they don't poke the correct area how are they to know. I originally had the surgery not knowing if they would remove the thyroid or not but once they got in there the surgeon said it was in bad shape due to hashimoto's disease. I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling or not but that is a disease where your body produces anti-bodies that attack your thryoid. Weird, Huh? Well, needless to say I am glad my thyroid is gone. I had once talked to a doctor on the radio and he said that if your going to get cancer that is the best place because all they do is remove it and your done. I did go in the hospital for a one night stay to take a radioactive iodine treatment afterwards. That was just a pill and I went home the next day. I stressed out so much that I was a wreck and now looking back it was not really that big of a deal but I do know how you are feeling. I'm just so glad to have had the surgery to remove it. And I'm done!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register