what test to check for adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what test to check for adhesions? what test to check for adhesions?

Unread 02-27-2004, 08:10 AM
what test to check for adhesions?

Hi all. What tests are needed to see if you have adhesions? Is a laparoscopy the only way? Also, can you get more scar tissue from just the lap, or only if surgery is performed within the lap? I'm pretty sure I have adhesions from a hysterectomy 3 yrs ago, but have been putting off checking to see if I do. I'm kind of hoping an MRI or cat scan will be able to tell, because if it's not adhesions, it will show if it's something else. thx. laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 08:59 AM
hey ladies let me give this a whirl

Hi Laura,
my name is Colette and i have been suffering with adhesions for a long time! As a matter of fact i will be in my state news paper as part of an awareness campaign
I can tell you this much no x-ray will pick up adhesions not a ctscan or ultrasound , i'm not sure about an MRI i have one sceduled but not for adhesions but for a liver tumor! I think these scans pick up bowel blockages but not the adhesions themselves!
I think an MRI can see in detail narrowing of the intestines exctra.
This is where it gets tricky the only sure way of finding adhesions is through a scope or a laperotomy. but surgery=adhesions so it is a viciuos cycle. these test show lots of things but unfortantly not adhesions!
You might want to talk to your doctor about this this is just my experience on this issue and i'm very lucky because my doctor understands my adhesion problems! I wish you tons of luck sweetie!! HUgs and Kisses
Colette
Unread 02-27-2004, 10:15 AM

Will a laparoscopy itself cause more adhesions? See, I'm not even sure what a laparoscopy is? It's just going in with a scope to look around, right? Will that cause more adhesions by just scoping around? Or must surgery be performed for more adhesions to form? thx for answering my dumb questions. laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 10:29 AM

Laura,

Not dumb questions, at all. Glad you are here asking.

My understanding is that adhesions form due to injury. That can be from infection, endo or from surgery.

During a laparoscopy, they make a small incision in or right below your navel and usually a small incision around your pubic bone. They inflate your tummy with a gas, insert the scope and look around. It is considered much less risky for forming of scar tissue than other procedures ... if your surgeon is skilled properly. But, just the act of cutting you causes scar tissue and the possibility of excess scar tissues (adhesions being one form).

Really you should discuss all of this with your doc. These are good questions you have and you need to ask him about his experience with the laparoscopy procedure.

Best wishes!!
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
(((( Colette ))))

Colette, I hope you are feeling better. The campagn you mentioned... We are part of the same group. I am REDSAM there... . What a small world! I thought I recognized you...

Laura your questions are not silly. But you definitely need to speak with your doctor. Then and only then can you asses if the laparoscopy is the way to go. Even though the laparoscopy seems of an exploratory nature, in order for the doc to do a good look, they will need to move a few things out of the way, so THAT is also considered to be an irriatation for the tissues, and if you are prone to developing scar tissue, this handling, can also lead to scar tissue formation. It IS a viscious cycle. I had an exploratory laparoscopy in April, my adhesions were cut loose, and 8 weeks later, they were back... So ask many questions, including if a laparoscopy is done, what exactly will be done inside or not done... If there is removal of adhesions, will a barrier be used... Information is power, and when dealing with things like adhesions, you need to know enough of it so you can help your own situation....

Big Big Hugs... Susie
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:39 AM
(((Laura)))

Sweetie, your questions are not dumb! My goodness, we've all been there before, suffering from something and needing to learn about it. Please don't put yourself down like that, okay?

I honestly didn't understand adhesions much until I saw my GI doctor after the hyster. He spent more time with me than my GYN and explained adhesions. We suspect that I have more of them, but I won't have surgery for them until and unless they cause more pain or interfere with intestinal function. Mine are caused by the endo, the cysts (ouch...they rupture!) and the surgeries. I opted to have the hyster to stop my severe pain from endo (or try to) and to reduce how many laps I had done because I was concerned about adhesions. Turns out they caught up to me anyways.

Having them surgically removed is controversial, as in (((Sue's))) case they returned, which is common. My GI doctor has strongly suggested I wait and not try to remove them yet. I will have a lap done soon for a cyst, so I may reconsider the adhesions issue when I talk with my new doctor about the lap.

Anyways...the ladies here gave you very good info. If there's anything more you want to chat about, please feel free to ask. You aren't asking anything dumb...you're being a wise person to learn about your own health. I respect you for doing that!

(((((((hugs))))))))

Rita
Unread 02-27-2004, 01:03 PM

Thanks all you wonderful ladies for answering my questions. I honestly don't know what's wrong. I just know I've had some pain near my groin area, almost where it meets the leg, since last August. I've had ultrasounds, colonoscopies, liver tests, cultures, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but nothing showed up. I don't know what else it could be except adhesions. It only hurts when I'm sitting or laying down. The minute I get up and start walking around (stretching them out?????), the pain goes away completely. I know I need to have it looked at, I'm just a little scared to have something invade my body, and possibly cause more adhesions, if that's what they are. You're all so right when you say its a never-ending cycle. That's why I'm hesitant to have anything done. On the other hand, a very good friend of mine had pain in that area and did nothing about it. By the time she finally went in, she was in stage 3 ovarian cancer. She was dead within 3 months....sad story. I have my annual gyne appt next month, so I will definitely bring up this pain issue again with her. Thanks again everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register