Question about swelly belly or heavy belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about swelly belly or heavy belly? Question about swelly belly or heavy belly?

Unread 02-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Question about swelly belly or heavy belly?

I'm 16 days post op. I went to my Dr. for my first check up after 11 days and He said I could do whatever I wanted by do it slow and listing to your body...pretty great.
I started walking the same day with my DH and the dogs. I went fairly slow and was delirius about being out of the house. But after a couple of days walking for about 1 hour, my belly got really sore and my incison started of ache on the side. I still have some sippage at those sites. My question is my belly is swollen but it feel like it weigh a ton? Like there is something heavy pressing down. Is it what you girl call swelly belly? Or is this heaviness something else. I've been taking it really easy today, did not even vaccum....and I taught I would be back at the gym this wek after seing the Doc? Right!!!What was I thinking?
Maybe it's a good thing we don't know everything before we go in....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 03:19 PM

My surgery was 2 days before yours. I have not been able to walk my neighborhood yet and my Doc. told me not to even drive for 3 weeks so I think you are doing great and probably more than you should. The heaviness is a weird sensation but I am pretty sure it is just part of the swelling. I find that when I walk a lot I tend to swell up more. I still have a lot of pulling and tugging sensations in my incision. Take it easy and see if that doesnt relieve some of the swelling.

GOod luck
Unread 02-27-2004, 03:59 PM

Hi. I don't know what type of hysterectomy you had, but I had a TAH Nov 14 and at my 3 week check my doc told me to start walking the malls. That was so nice to hear since I am use to walking 4 miles 2 to 3 days a week. The first few times I could only walk half that and my stomach felt like it was so heavy, and I felt like I needed to hold it up with my hand. But over time it got better and I could walk faster and worked up to the 4 miles within a couple of weeks. Listen to your body. But walking is good overall for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 04:22 PM

Hi

I,m 15 days post op, and i hav,nt been out yet, i too feel my tummy is swollen and heavy, ur doing well to b out, i,m desperate to go out, but, have 30 stairs to go down to get onto the street and just cannot do it at the momment, ive been told 3 months before i can return to the gym, and the more i walk about the bigger my tummy gets, take care and take it easy, good luck

sal45
Unread 02-27-2004, 08:05 PM

Hi Krystalle .... At 16 days post op it sounds to me like you're maybe doing too much. Did you say you were vacuuming?? Yeegads!! I wasn't allowed to vacuum or do house work until around 4 - 5 WEEKS post op! If you're tired and sore I'd say slow it down. You still have alot of healing to do. Good Luck and Good Health.

p.s. How's the weather in Alberta???
Unread 02-27-2004, 08:30 PM

No, you said you didn't vacuum! Good girl. I agree that you may be pushing it. I am walking every day, but only for 20-30 minutes max. Then I rest for at least an hour before I try to do anything else. In fact, I rest between all the things I do. I have to take a nap after taking a shower and getting dressed! Dr. said I could drive, but I think it's a little early. Don't rush recovery. There's a reason we take 6 weeks off work.
Unread 02-27-2004, 09:34 PM

Your surgery was 2 days after mine and I still have to have a blanket under my belly when sitting and when laying I got to have pillows or a blanket under mine and a heating pad.

I went to Wal Mart earlier and so far I am feeling ok, a bit more tired than normal but ok.

My incision is amlost healed all the way (itching now) but my problems is my belly and this hematoma.
I am not sure if the heavy feeling I have is the hematoma or just general soreness b/c it is like this all the time.

You are doing GREAT, alot better than I am right now. I got a wedding to go to tomorrow and the drive there and back I am dreading but I got me 2 of those hand warmers hunters use to take along incase I get to hurting and I am taking my pain meds and the ibuprofin along LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register