February Challenges - Wrap-Up | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > B.E.S.T.-(Better Eaters Support Team)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

February Challenges - Wrap-Up February Challenges - Wrap-Up

Unread 02-28-2004, 10:41 AM
February Challenges - Wrap-Up

Hi fellow challengers! I hope you enjoyed doing the February challenges together!

Did you even know you had it in you to make your goals? I knew we all did ... and while the challenges seemed easy enough at first, I think we all saw that they were a bit more trickier than we thought.

What I saw each week was a committment to ourselves and accountability to eachother! We said what we were going to do upfront, and they were small little goals.

Week 1 was a smashing success for everyone! As is usually the first week of any plan.

Week 2 life started getting in the way and we found we couldn't always do what we wanted on the days we intended, but we did find that we could make our goal within the week! A struggle to be sure.

Week 3 we did not beat ourselves over the head if we didn't do so great in week 2. We took a step back and repeated a week we knew we could be successful at ... week 1. And as with that first week, we are finding and celebrating success again!

What you might not have seen, was that even if you struggled in week 2 and repeated week 1 in the 3rd week ... what you did accomplish was your original week 1 goal, for all three weeks!

The gals doing the water challenge successfully drank 6 glasses of water at least 3 days each week. In turn it made them more aware of the rest of the days.

The gals doing the exercise challenge successfully exercised 20 minutes 3 days each week! While sometimes it wasn't easy ... y'all made time for yourselves to get it done!

The gals doing the eating challenge, I think, really have the basics of it all down but occasionally like everyone else, need a little nudge to get back on track. Ahem ... even with celebrations and indulgences, when it came down to it, you were OP more days than not.

Do ya get it yet?? On the whole, you were more OP than off plan and you were more aware (or mindful as Marlene is known to say) of yourselves and your healthy targets! the bottom line, we did not let one off plan day or one setback sabatoge our entire week and month! You just don't know how thrilled I am for all of us!!

Use this thread to post how you think you did ... it's time to Celebrate!!

BSQ

PS: I was not planning on doing a March Challenge.... but taking a Month off and following up with an April Challenge.... there is a method to my madness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2004, 10:46 AM

and so, my own wrapup of my eating OP challenge.

I was surprised at how much of a struggle week 2 was for me. You'd not think it would be since I am on the jenny craig program and I have my menus planned for me, and food already in neat little packages to eat each day.

I had been frustrated with not having consistent losses each week, but I felt the challenges helped me to focus better and I do think I was successful.

Why I took the toughest challenge set out in week 3 I do not know. I guess cause it was just that, a challenge for me.

I was concerned that I wouldn't get much benefit from the challenges because, well .. I set them up .. so what would this be any different than me telling myself each day I will be OP?

All of your energy and enthusiasm kept me at it .. so for each of you, I saw Thanks!!

no clue what I think the next challenge should be ... maybe focusing on OP eating ... not sure.

sign me a "feeling successful, BSQ"
Unread 02-28-2004, 02:24 PM

Well, life did get in the way...and at time just plain ol' fatigue at the end of the day when I'd say, "oh, I'll just take a 20 minute power nap and then do my workout." Yeah....

But the real improvement is that I now look at each day and figure where the daily walk will fit in. I'm not a major serious walker, but the short brisk daily walk is something that doesn't daunt me and that I can live with long-term. Same with my short night workout. And since that workout has been part of my life for a year, actually (even with skips) it has definitely made a difference in my appearance, clothing fit, energy, and endurance.

So thanks, BobbySue, for getting us started. Good idea to let us continue to improve our first priority area in March, make it a part of daily life...and then we'll look forward to what you come up with in April!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2004, 02:24 PM

BSQ, thanks for putting it all in perspective and making me realize that I am not a total looser

My challenge wrap-up isn't great: I did wonderful for week one, failed and had to modify the Challenge for the second week, and ended up repeating Week 2. My last week challenge is not finished yet: still have tomorrow to get through, but I succeeded at making the challenge for 2 non-consecutive days, which is a great improvement over last week.

I may just challenge myself over the next month, just for my own benefit. I have a feeling that March will be easier, simply because the weather is getting better and that always makes me perkier!!!

Where an April Challenge is concerned, don't forget to factor in the Easter Bunny
Unread 02-28-2004, 04:01 PM

BSQ, this was such a wonderful idea! Thank you for coming up with the challenges.

I made my water challenge all three weeks. It took a lot of focus the first week and the beginning of the second but this last week I wasn't having to think about it as much. It's developed into a habit. My hardest days are the ones I work. I have a tendancy to get busy and forget about drinking my water until I'm actually really thirsty. I have to work on that.

One thing I did this last week that helped at work was take in all the makings for tea. We've got a microwave - so I can heat up water. Now I can have my two mugs a day whether I'm home or at work. Never thought of doing that before. Duhhhhh...

I'll be eagerly awaiting the April challenge. Bring it on, bring it on!!!
Unread 02-28-2004, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dany
BSQ, thanks for putting it all in perspective and making me realize that I am not a total looser
Ahh Dany ... my pleasure. This very thing you've said was the whole reseason I wanted to come up with something that was both challenging and something we could all succeed at ... I felt like we get in a rut in the daily threads of confessing what we do wrong and how often we "fail" rather than celebrating our successes!

The enthusiasm everyone embraced it with was an added bonus!

April will definitely figure in the EB ... just as February figured in Valentine's day. That's why nothing was ever to be OP 7 days! That's just being realistic to me!

BSQ
Unread 02-28-2004, 06:13 PM

BSQ, I agree! And that kind of realism keeps people from thinking they have "failed" and then blowing the whole week!

Thanks again.
Marlene
Unread 02-28-2004, 08:00 PM

Reporting in on my thoughts on the challenge:

I think I did very well . Like several others, I didn't always do my exercise on the days originally planned or even the expected exercise, but I got in the amount of minutes planned or more. This last week was particularly challenging, but also was a time when I needed the exercise for stress relief the most. I ended up with 5 days of 20 minutes of yoga and I was pleased with that. Before this challenge, I probably would have given myself permission to totally blow off exercise this week and that would have been a real mistake. I would then think that I'd get back to it the following week and probably drag my feet on that and everyone knows how that goes--the next thing you know I wouldn't have exercised in a month possibly. Then that would bring me down in other areas.

I also like BSQ's idea for us to pursue our challenge for March on our own. We really have to have self-discipline to make the whole lifestyle change work for us. But I admit, I'll be looking forward to what BSQ has up her sleeve in April ! Bottom line--I am really encouraged by the success this month and think that tied with my new food plan starting on Monday, I will see a huge difference in my progress. The continuous application I have applied often in other areas of my life will work for this goal as well! (I call it water dripping on a rock--eventually that rock will crack; this is my way of saying that persistence pays off and it always has for everything else I have wanted in my life!)

Hugs,
Shirley
Unread 02-29-2004, 07:20 AM

This was a very interesting challenge... just love the focus on the positives/accomplishments that this brought about.

The 1st week for me was a easy... I was so pumped up to do the OP challenge. The second week found me with too much stress & not enough energy to care about being OP. The 3rd week found me re-committing to do the 2nd week over & being successful. Planning the 3rd weeks menus made it much easier to stay OP.

Even going out to eat during week 3, I found myself not listening to what others were choosing but making the best choices for me. I enjoyed both the company & was happy with my meals...

I also noticed that I have been getting a munchie feeling around 3 in the afternoon at work... I had bought apple bran muffins at Whole Foods & had "forgot" about them -- they are all natural, low calorie... so that became my mid-afternoon snack which was a healthier choice then what's offered in the vending machines...

So to borrow the term "being mindful" about my choices & what my body needs is becoming a habit...

I am looking forward to March and continuing the lessons learned!!! And April... I'll just have to be patient & see what comes next -- BSQ... can you give us a hint?
Unread 02-29-2004, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sueperb
And April... I'll just have to be patient & see what comes next -- BSQ... can you give us a hint?
LOL ... not really. I've not much of a clue, except for the underlying reasons for skipping March. We'll just need to wait and see what I pick up from the daily threads as a troubled area.

BSQ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register