how many of us have or have had chronic pelvic pain post hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how many of us have or have had chronic pelvic pain post hysterectomy how many of us have or have had chronic pelvic pain post hysterectomy

Unread 03-08-2004, 01:29 PM
how many of us have or have had chronic pelvic pain post hysterectomy

Quote:
Besides all my other post-op problems, the pain I kept having has just recently been lined up perfectly (via X-ray) with THREE surgical clips that were apparently left in me. All this time, through all the CT's and MRIs (which always hurt) no one bothered to mention there were clips in me.
(((Lucille))
I made a discovery similar to yours I was going thru all my OP, Path reports from my surgeries along with various tests results, notes ect...
On a CT Scan of my pelvic area, it noted 3 surgical clips in the area my right Ovary used to reside. A friend of mine, who just happens to be Nurse, was looking with me & told me to locate the instrument count that was done before surgery then after surgery.... She wanted to make sure that they were all accounted for & nothing was left inside
No one has ever mentioned these to me either and it's been almost 4 yrs since my RSO. I've underwent at least 10 MRI's since then & more CT Scans & x-rays than I can count...never a word <sigh> If I hadn't requested all my medical records, I wouldn't be aware of them either....

(((Lucille))) I do hope you can find some resolve to your ongoing complications & pain. If you don't mind...would you pls post on what your Dr has to say regarding the clips??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 05:32 PM

I had a few pain free months and then the pelvic pain started again. My DR thinks it's IC and today I had the worse ultrasound of my life! The pain was so bad from trying to hold my bladder that I was in tears. Thursday i'm having a barium enema to rule out bowel or intestinal problems. I have never had one but it sounds very painful. The Dr said it could also be adhesions. Whatever it is I hope I don't have to live like this forever.
Unread 03-09-2004, 04:10 AM
me too

I have had pelvic pain scince my tvh I thought it was because of all the pelvic prolapse problems. Dr.s found some cysts on ovaries, we are going to investagate this further. Yes it feels like menstral cramps to me. Sometimes very sharp sudden pain and I am doubled over, and have to lay down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 11:08 AM

((((Sheri & Lucille)))) How shocking to hear about the clips being left inside of you Please let us know what your docs have to say...I hope and pray you get relief and answers...

Count me in...I've had pelvic pain for 25 years now. It started as severe cramping only during my period, then it got to the point where it was bad every day of the month.

It has been approx 3 1/2 years since my hyst., and I still have severe pelvic pain (docs have called it 'chronic' since the hyst). I am in pain management, and that helps (could not imagine what the pain would be like if I had not found this wonderful hospital), but I haven't had a day without pain for soooo long.

My docs believe that I am still dealing with pain from Endo. I also have nerve damage, and FMS also causes pelvic pain. I know that everything is linked...

S to all of my sisters on the road...
Unread 03-09-2004, 11:55 AM

The doctors I mentioned the clips to since their discovery act like it is no big deal and are not surprised at all that I wasn't informed about them. (I don't know how they can be so easily disregarded since they are in the exact location of my pain.) Apparantly, it is quite common to consider this information the patient doesn't need to know. It just blows me away that no one ever told me, even after years of complaints and all those test. I had to insist on an x-ray or I would still be in the dark about them. But I don't think there is anything that can be done about it now. I sure don't want to go through more surgery to remove them.

I'll let you know if anything comes of this latest discovery.

This makes another good case for getting ALL your medical records and reading them!
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Me too...

I have constant pelvic pain. Mine is (apparently) from adhesions and endo (I have a cyst on my left ovary again).

I have to take at least one vicodin a day to function, but usually take 3 a day. The pain is constant, and it keeps me awake at night.

I felt fine for about 3 months post-op from the hyster...it was the only pain-free time I can recall in the last 20 years.
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Lucille,
I hate to sound weird, but over the years I have learned to ask to see the x-rays, etc. When my son broke his wrist it was me who found the break and not the hospital. I took one look at the x-rays and kept saying he needs to be seen by an orthopedist and when they sent us home with a splint I called my pediatrician and got in to see an orthopedist the next morning. Over time I have learned to take control of my health care and not leave it only up to the doctors, afterall they are only human too. What your doctor did to you was awful and unexcusable in my books. <admin. snipped - please re-read guidelines> Hope I was of some help.
Toni
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:37 PM

Surgical clips are often used to clamp off arteries where the concern is that suture material could slip or cause allergic reactions (my DD has had this, with three intestinal surgeries -- she is allergic to the protein used to coat the sutures, and always has trouble with healing).

The clips are just considered a surer way to ligate blood vessels, and it's not uncommon to find them post-op. You should be told, though, so that if you do need an MRI you can let the staff know about it! It's funny the things that trigger the magnet: certain dyes in tattoos also contraindicate MRI, as it can cause "burns" in those areas .

The thing about your clips, (((Lucille))) is that removing them could potentially cause even more scarring and adhesion formation. I have a suture from my hyst that has caused some granulation formation due to an allergic response -- but there's not a guarantee that if they went in and revised the scar to get rid of this area, that things wouldn't be worse afterward...

audrey
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:59 PM

More and more, the use of surgical clips on blood vessels is being replaced by the use of technologies such as the Ligasure . I was surprised to find out in the surgery report from my colectomy that my (((DR))) had used the Ligasure because he felt it would lessen the likelihood of adhesion formation. Bless him.

However, I have a whole LOT of tiny titanium staples in there where the anastamoses are in my colon. I read about them in the surgery report, too, and immediately asked the DR if I was going to be setting off any metal detectors. He said he used them because they were the best way to get a water-tight seal there, and he told me that they are made of titanium, so no problem with metal detectors; however, I should always let the techs know when I have MRI's, X-rays, DEXAs, etc. so they don't go when they see those little ants crawling around in there

Every once in a while I think I can feel where the staples are, but they haven't <knocking on wood here> caused what I would call "pain", at least not yet.

-Linda
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:09 PM

add another one to the list. I had my surgery in July 2003. Felt like a million dollars until the end of Dec. I have had 2 (that I know of and have been to the doctor for) UTI's, endo pains have come back, sometimes they are as bad as prehyst and sometimes not. I am not on HRT because of the endo and that I still have my left ovary (which I think is giving out on me now) and in the past week have been brushed off by my gyn.

Yesterday I started using the progesterone cream sold here on HS and that has made a difference in how I feel already but this afternoon the endo pain started kicking in again....sigh......

I am waiting test results for a thyroid test done last week and will go from there.

Hugs to all of you who still suffer, its not right is the way I feel, haven't we been through enough already?????

jody

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register