Appt. next week and I'm NERVOUS!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Appt. next week and I'm NERVOUS!!! Appt. next week and I'm NERVOUS!!!

Unread 03-01-2004, 05:38 AM
Appt. next week and I'm NERVOUS!!!

Hi All - next Monday I have my first pap appointment since my tah/bso. I had been referred to another gyn-onc for a second opinion by my own gyn-onc, as she felt that I needed to get input from another doctor to ease some concerns I had. The new doctor called me up and we discussed my case (he had my file in front of him)...and he was shocked that I hadn't received a chest xray prior to my surgery. Now I hadn't thought of that myself, but do remember that at my initial consultation I was told that I would have a chest xray. Well anyway, I went ahead and got one, and it was clear.

My question: at my appointment, I feel I need an explanation as to why I didn't get the xray to begin with - did she change her mind, did it slip thru the cracks? My DH feels that by asking I will put her on the defensive and to just leave it alone - but I think if she has a problem with that she's not the right doctor for me.

Sorry this is so long, and maybe I'm making mountains of of molehills, but I'm really getting anxious about my appointment. Most Ladies I've noticed started out on a 3 month schedule, and mine is 6!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input/advise!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2004, 06:13 AM

Hi, Susanne--

First, let me wish you good luck at your appointment next Monday!! Second, let me say that I agree with you; if you have a question that you want an answer to, ask, ask, ask! I recall when I went to Johns Hopkins before my surgery for a second opinion and the gyn-onc I saw did an endocervical curettage, which my gyn-onc had not done, I asked him why he hadn't done that particular test. He explained his rationale and I was totally satisfied with his explanation.

Another time, I obtained my preoperative chest x-ray. It was almost a year after surgery by the time I thought to get copies of all my pre-admission tests. The report stated that there was a 5 mm. nodule in my right lung, which my gyn-onc had never mentioned. I went ballistic to say the least! I called his office and told the staff that I wanted to speak to him. When they asked the nature of my concern, I said I wanted to talk to him about the "5 mm. nodule in my right lung."

I got a call back within the hour, and I put the question right to him. There was silence on the phone, and after what seemed like an eternity, he said "if it was anything serious, you'd be dead by now." I laughed and told him I figured as much. My gyn-onc then went on to explain that he had gone to see the radiologist who took the x-ray and the two of them reviewed the films and had determined that it was a vessel, and nothing of concern.

My doctors have more than once told me that I keep them on their toes with all my questions. No one has thrown me out of the office yet, and I will continue to ask every question that I want answered. I hope you do the same! I could never trust or respect a doctor who would not be willing to fully respond to all of my concerns.

Good luck and take care.

MoeKay
Unread 03-01-2004, 06:26 AM

Suzzane
MoeKay is so very right. Ask all the questions you have until you have answers that satisfy you. You have in effect hired your doctors to help you improve or maintain your state of health. You are the captain of this "ship". All others involved are your crew. Keep them working and keep them on their toes.

Your life and well being are at stake. Ask away.

Ruth S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2004, 06:32 AM

Susanne,

I agree with Moekay and Ruth.

Your doctors are your healthcare contractors, and you hire/fire them--not the other way around. And who knows? Your question may save someone else's life...keeping our drs on their toes not only protects us, but others as well.

Blessings.
Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register