Football playoffs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Football playoffs Football playoffs

Unread 10-25-2000, 03:23 PM
Football playoffs

I know this is gonna sound absolutely crazy but I have a question. My tah/bso is on Tues. Nov. 7 and my son's football team finally made the playoffs this year. They will be having their game on that Friday. I only live less than a mile from the H.S. and am gonna do my very best to attend this game. I can sit in the endzone in our Blazer. Am I being totally unrealistic here? I have a very high tolerance for pain and had lap/hysteroscopy/dnc a lil over a month ago and it barely slowed me down at all. Had surgery the day of a footbal game and went just fine. My doc says I cannot leave the house for one week after surgery...Am I just setting myself up for a huge disappointment? I am 35 and a stay at home mother...so my life basically revolves around them Any hope for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2000, 03:37 PM
Football playoffs

I hate to go against your doctor's instructions, but I think IF someone else drives you there, and IF you don't move around outside the car and IF you don't stay for the entire game if you get tired, then maybe you could manage to attend the game. I got extremely tired during the first week, and was amazed at the activities that would wear me out. Believe me, your body will let you know if you shouldn't be doing something!
Unread 10-25-2000, 03:40 PM
Football playoffs

I hope there is hope!! I am in the same situation as yours!! I plan on being at the game in the inzone! It is his senior year - I couldn't miss the game. But if unforseen circumstances arrive I guess we will have to handle it. My surgery TAH is the 30th our game is the following Friday! I would love to talk with you - email me at [email protected]
sounds like we have some things in common
Rhonda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2000, 08:41 PM
Sounds just like me!

I am having my surgery on 11/10 and my son plays Pop Warner and my stepson plays high school football and both are going to the playoffs! So I know one or the other will still be playing after my surgery and I WILL sit in the end zone in my Blazer, with my pillow and blanket of course. The only way I would miss their games is if I was still in the hospital! And I may be that first weekend, but it will all be on tape for me! So good luck to you and your playoffs too! And most important good luck on your hyster!
Unread 10-25-2000, 09:45 PM
Football playoffs

Just wondering if you ladies have mentioned this to your doctors? I think they would advise against it. At three days post op I was still in the hospital. At 10 days post op I went to a graduation party at my brother's house 8 miles away. I felt every bump in the road, and even though I sat most of the day, I was exhausted when I got home. Back then, I didn't realize that sitting was an activity. I also didn't realize that sitting should be done with your legs and feet elevated. (Pretty hard to do at a football game.) This keeps undue pressure off the internal stitches and helps prevent blood clots. Wish I had known, because shortly after the graduation party I was admitted to the hospital with a blood clot in my leg. I still wonder if I would have gotten it if I had stayed home instead of going to that party. Maybe, but I'll never know the answer to that. Please rethink your intentions. Have someone videotape the game and watch it at home. It's the smart thing to do.
Unread 10-26-2000, 04:50 AM
Football playoffs

I am glad I am not the only crazy sports mom! I did already talk to my DR about it and he did not reccommend it, but I feel in the end it is my choice what risks I am willing to take. My son is a junior and our team has never done this well before. I scheduled it for when the season was over, never dreaming they would make it to the playoffs hehe. I know it is gonna take an awful lot out of me, but heck...I can catch up on my rest. To me it will be worth it. I am getting antsy about the whole thing now, but I know it is gonna be for the best. GO GREYHOUNDS!
Unread 10-26-2000, 05:40 AM
CAUTION....

Gals,
I am concerned about the notion that within one week of your surgery you will be heading out the door for sports events. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment OR a serious recovery issue and complications.

Follow your docs instructions.

Being "here" for over 2 years I've seen them all.....and this one is dangerous ground.

Your healing on the front end is so essential that it shapes the way your body recovers for the long run. Push it too fast, too far....and you are set up for some problems.

You really do have only one chance to heal right. Err on the side of caution. There will be more sporting events I can assure you. But, will there be another you...?

Take it easy, huh, girlies?
Unread 10-26-2000, 05:44 AM
Football playoffs

It's not a matter of "catching up" on your rest. What you could do is set your recovery back. It might be better to reschedule your surgery if the game is that important to you. It isn't worth the risk.
Unread 10-26-2000, 05:48 AM
Football playoffs

Hi hockeywife,

Yes it is your choice as to what risks you are prepared to take, but are you really prepared for what you are going to feel like after the hyst? I too have a very high tolerance of pain, so much so that the nurses in the hospital said the they have never seen anyone recover so quickly from surgery.

But at one week post op I could not have tolarated being at a game (or anywhere else for that matter) forgive my bluntness but I dont understand why you are going against you doctors wishes, I am at a loss to understand that.

Please listen to us sisters that have been there and done that, none of you really know how you are going to be feeling after MAJOR surgery.

It's not the end of the world to miss one game shurely? is you health not worth that.

If I sound harsh I am very sorry, it's just that I am very concerned about you.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Unread 10-26-2000, 05:54 AM
Football playoffs

Ladies, I too am a full time mom and can relate to your eagerness of seeing your kids play ball!! [red]GO LIONS![endcolor] (sorry, just had to do that!) Anyways, it sounds like you are all pretty set on being at those games no matter what anyone says or suggests. Please listen to me when I tell you that you shouldn't count on anything!! I don't want you to be disappointed when you realize how a simple trip to the bathroom can make you out of breath and needing to rest all over again. I know that sitting in a vehicle sounds so simple and relaxing, but you will see that right after surgery it is a chore to get comfy anywhere! Please ladies, take it from experience, don't set yourselves up to be let down. Have those camcorders on hand to send with the dh's and think of your health first! Talk to your kids and explain to them what you are thinking and how you don't want to disappoint them either. (prepare them too incase you are not there) You only have one chance to heal and if you do too much, beleive me that your body will be sure to tell you!!! The sad thing is that it can really throw your recovery behind and slow it down too! Just Be Careful and Good to Yourselves!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register