Effexor for Hot Flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Effexor for Hot Flashes Effexor for Hot Flashes

Unread 03-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Effexor for Hot Flashes

My oncologist has just given me a prescription for this for Hot Flashes...Is there anyone out there who has taken this and hoe did it work for you.....I had endometrial cancer and a TAH so not much available I'm sure....Ande
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Effexor

I've been on Effexor for several years, but in my case it was prescribed for anxiety.

I've had no adverse reactions, although if I miss a dose or two, I get dizzy.

Good luck. I hope it works. Better than taking the hormones (in my humble opinion : -)
Unread 03-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Effexor for Hot Flashes

I am also taking Effexor for flashing....also was dx with endometrial ca in 2002 stage 1a. My onc gyn said with a low stage ca that I could take ert, but my gyn said she would prefer i not use hormones for two years. She prescribed the Effexor. It seems to be working...the flashes are less. I agree.....I get very dizzy if I miss a dose or two.....It really makes me feel out of it when I mess more than one dose....that is the only side effect I have noticed....I am terrible about taking pills....so this is a real challange for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Effexor for Hot Flashes

Hi, I was on Effexor for about a year for depression/anxiety. I concur with the other sisters about missing a dose. I could tell very quickly. I also had good effects very quickly though too. I am now on Lexapro. I had TAH/BSO in January and just learned on this site yesterday that it would also be of some help with hot flashes. Maybe that's why mine have been so mild. In any event, hallelujah for that!

I don't know how much Effexor you are taking. I understand that the dose for flashes is usually less than for depression. It is something that you must be weaned off of when the time comes. I was able to do it over a period of time when I felt that I didn't need it anymore.

I hope you have good relief!
Unread 03-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Effexor for Hot Flashes

How much are you taking for Hot Flashes...Ande
Unread 03-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Effexor for Hot Flashes

A few years ago I was taking Effexor and then I stopped taking it because I felt better. I started taking it again when I was diagnosed with Ovarian & Uterine Cancer. I can't really say that it has helped with my hot flashes but then everyone is so different. Getting off of Effexor is a little tricky. You have to slowly lower your dose a couple weeks at each lower dose. You will feel a little dizzy and may have some weird dreams.

Hope the Effexor really helps your hot flashes .

Zinzer
Unread 03-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Effexor for Hot Flashes

I decided the side effects and what had to be done to get off of this was just alittle too much as my HF's really aren't THAT bad....so I only took 2 pills...Went to my Gyn on Thurs for my check and asked him about it and he gave me Bellaspas...Has anyone taken that??? It is non-hormonal...and I must say it has worked...I've not had a hot flash since I started them....Any thoughts about these???? Ande

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register