scared about Cone/Hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared about Cone/Hyster scared about Cone/Hyster

Unread 03-03-2004, 06:54 PM
scared about Cone/Hyster

I just found out today that I am going to have a cone procedure done Monday March 8th and after the doc takes the cervix samples to the pathologist he will then decide to do vaginal hyster, leaving my ovaries. I am diagnosed with Carcinoma in Situ(CIN III) . I have never had an abnormal pap and i am 30 . I have 2 lovely children and i not planning on having any more. So i guess this would probably be the best thing to do(not that i have much of a choice). I am just so scared that this could possibly be Cancer. I am hoping & praying that its not. I really appreciate reading these posts here, it has helped me knowing that i am not the ONLY one this has happened to. Thank you all for your posts. This has all happened so fast i cant even think straight.If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 07:09 PM
scared about Cone/Hyster

hi Renee

I was diagnosed with a rare form of cervical cancer when I was 3 months pregnant and 6 months married. It was scary. I can certainly understand your fears as a mother of young ones.My sone is a 29 week preemie and is now 2, he sorsta went through al the treatments and recoveries with me. Once the doctor says "sorry you have cancaer" the cancerhead never seems to stop. Some women it does, not yet for me.

I hope it turns out not to be cancer too. If so , your famliy is with you and you are not alone. God to bless your heart
Unread 03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Cone

CIN III is not invasive cancer. I am assuming that you had a cervical biopsy showing the CIS/CIN III. If your biopsy didn't indicate a possibility of cancer, you have less than a 5% chance that they will find invasive cancer at the cone. I am a couple of years older than you and found out I had CIN III the first of Feb. I had a LEEP cone two weeks ago. They did not find invasive cancer. I was especially worried that I would have invasive cancer because my cervix went from normal to CIS in 11 months. I do not have children so I am trying to do everything I can to avoid a hysterectomy.

From what I've read a hysterectomy (especially for someone so young) is NOT standard treatment for CIN III, unless there are other circumstances (i.e. CIN high in canal, reoccurance). Most of the literature states that the rates of cure are about the same for cones and hysterectomies. I would get a second opinion if your Dr. suggests a hysterectomy when all you have is CIN III. If you do get a hysterectomy, you still need to get pap smears every SINGLE year. You will always be at a much increased risk for vaginal cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 08:55 PM
scared about Cone/Hyster

Just wanted to let you know my experience with a cone biopsy. Except that I had a bad reaction to general anesthesia, the biopsy left no bad effects. A little sore and a bit of spotting, but feeling very much like I could physically do what I wanted by the next day. No post-op pain meds.

My biopsies were consistent with CIS. Most of the time a cone is needed for confirmative diagnosis or to remove the affected area. As long as the affected area is completely contained in the removed tissue and the margins are clear, that is usually all that is needed except for frequent follow-up PAPs for a while. I had a cold knife cone bx. LEEPs, use of cauterizers, or freezing damages the edges so clear margins cannot always be determined.

The vast majority will be removed with a cone, particularly a cold knife cone as it removes the deepest tissue of the various possible procedures.

Cervical cancer is slow growing, so try not to worry. Dwell on things you have control over and leave the rest to God and those He put in your life to help.
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:51 AM
scared about Cone/Hyster

Renee,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this right now. Waiting for results is often the very hardest part of this whole ordeal!

Many times a cone biopsy is all the treatment that is needed for CINIII, but your treatment choice is a very personal decision that you will only be able to make after you get all the information on your post-cone pathology report.

The cone surgery itself is not too bad, recovery's usually pretty quick. Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Beth
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM
scared about Cone/Hyster

Hi, Renee! Welcome to Cancer Concerns!

It's scary to have an abnormal PAP. The other ladies have already posted some valuable information, and I'll just highlight some of it and add some of my own.

I had an abnormal PAP at age 23 (CIS). I had a cone biopsy for this situation and that was all the treatment I needed at that time. The literature shows that a cone is considered curative for cervical dysplasia, and 80-90% of the women never have another problem. That means only about 10% or so will have a recurrence at some point. I had normal PAP's for 10 years. Then I had some moderate dysplasia treated with cryo a couple of times. Then I ended up with CIS again and vaginal carcinoma-in-situ. When I look back at my life at the time the dysplasia started coming back again, well, I had a stressful life and I think it sapped my immune system. I had several children born close together. My cousin died in a car accident. My father-in-law died suddenly from a heart attack. My father died after a short bout with cancer. We were sued over a house deal (that we later won). All of this in the course of 4 years. I think my body just couldn't take anymore. So even though it's easy to look at my case and say "well, I don't want that to happen and have this continue to recur", you have to look at the circumstances.

After you get back the cone results, if you do not have invasive cancer, have a long talk with your gyn before going forward with a hysterectomy. If s/he still recommends it, I would strongly recommend that you go to a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and precancers, and they know all the most current treatment and surgical techniques. And there ARE options out there. As I said, women are usually cured by the cone, and we have seen many come through here that only needed a cone biopsy. A hysterectomy is major surgery. Please consider your options before committing to it. While the majority of women do well with a hysterectomy, others have long-term problems. Ultimately, the choice is up to you, your family, and your physician, and we will be here for you no matter what you choose to do. But make sure you get all of the best information so that you can truly make the choice that is best for YOU.

Good luck! Please come back and let us know how things go!

Unread 03-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Are You my Twin?

Wow, they say everyone has a twin right....you must be mine. On Monday the 8th I will be signing consent papers for my cone to treat my CINIII. I am also in my 30's, done having children and have only normal paps.

I've had heavy bleeding, bleeding after sex, cramping....all the signs/symptoms so I too am a nervous wreck waiting.

I feel your turmoil!

I am a little nervous about the cone. From the way my Dr. described it, they are going to take a very large piece of my cervix....this sounds like a silly thing to worry about but am I always going to be more tender, will sex be painful?
Unread 03-04-2004, 10:41 AM
scared about Cone/Hyster

I cannot vouch for tenderness during sex as it has been years for me, but I was not very sore afterward. I felt like I could do anything within a very short time. Your doctor will let you know when sex will be ok.
Unread 03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
scared about Cone/Hyster

CJ,

Try not to worry too much. They do take a pretty big sample of the cervix, but I have had two cones, and neither of them affected my sex life at all. Just give yourself time to heal.

Beth
Unread 03-04-2004, 11:47 AM
scared about Cone/Hyster

Thanks to everyone for posting, It helps to get other peoples opinion and things they have gone through. I had my biopsy done that came back CIN III W/ dysplasia. I think that i am making the right choice , i just don't want this to come back on me and i have to go through something worse . I will keep everyone posted!
Thanks! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register