stenotic cervix, D & C pre op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stenotic cervix, D & C pre op stenotic cervix, D & C pre op

Unread 03-03-2004, 07:29 PM
stenotic cervix, D & C pre op

Well today my GYN told me that with a stenotic cervix ( this was the first time I heard this term ) she may not be able to do the scope thing and D & C even under general anesthesia.
Then she told me that even with the D & C I will continue to bleed after sex and have very heavy periods, she is sure that I will still end up having a hysterectomy.

Then she told me ( I have a thick uterine lining, fibroids, aden. maybe polyps) that" there is a good chance it is not cancer."
A " good chance" ???? A good chance?????? Just a good chance??

Well until she said that I kinda assumed all along that this was just precaution type thing. I am a 3 1/2 year breast cancer survivor, and the way she said that put me into anxiety mode.
Umm is it just me or is that not a very reassuring phrase she used? With my breast cancer I had a bloody discharge and after initial tests I was told 9 times out of 10 it is NOT cancer, hey I liked those odds, but I was the 1 in 10 as it turned out, so her phrase really alarmed me.
Anyway I have the D and C next Tuesday, in the meantime I am in a funk, I feel withdrawn.

My hubby has kinda been pooh pooing this heavy period hysterectomy thing, told me he read about some gal taking a supplement and it " cleared up everything" yep, bet she was right as rain, sigh.. sometimes they are such idiots.
I guess is they can't see it, they don't believe it.
Anyway I just needed to vent, hubby is not home yet.

I have that same sick to my stomache feeling I had with the breast cancer.
Thanks for listening

trudy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2004, 08:00 PM

Trudy,
I know the feeling! And, yes, men are idiots when it comes to this stuff. Their little bit of knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing. I know that men think they are being helpful, but they aren't.

I know that for the majority of women, their experience is NOT like mine was but I kept hearing things like 'there's no way it's cancer', 'the thing to remember is that it is very unlikely that it's cancer', 'I'm 99% sure this is a fibroid, and not cancer', 'you may have polyps that are causing the bleeding but it is NOT cancer'. After months of this, and 30 years of negative pap smears, 4 sonograms, blood tests, 3 internal exams by three different doctors, I finally went to a gyn/onc who took one look at my cervix and said 'this is cervical cancer, stage 1B2 and this is how it's treated" etc. He was dead on correct. So, if you are asking me, no, I wouldn't be reassured by your doctor's comments. HOWEVER, it probably is NOT cancer but is just what she said. But for those of us who have had cancer,that is always our thought. We can't help it. The good news is that we are usually wrong.

Have you had a sonogram? And have you had an uterine biopsy? I guess not, if your cervix has stenosis. What caused that? I know it's common after radiation and I know also that it can cause bleeding after sex for those of us who have had radiation. But I assumed that was because of the fragility of the scar tissue and the vagina.

What is causing the bleeding after sex? The polyps? I know that many things can cause that and that most of them are not cancer but , as you know, it can also be a symptom of cervical cancer and/or uterine cancer. Did your doctor say what she thought was causing it and why it would continue?

Some women do seem to have some success with supplements. If you do a search here you'll probably find women who found successful alternatives to a hysterectomy. If you want to try those things first.

It sounds like your doctor is just being very cautious because until she does a biopsy she can't be 100% certain of what is causing your problems.

Try not to let Cancerhead take over your life before you have the D&C. Remember that the chances ARE really good that you do NOT have another cancer.

Hang in there!
Janie
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:47 AM

VayCay!

Sorry you are having to go through this, I can only imagine how scary it must be after you have successfully conquered breast cancer! This waiting part is so difficult!

I too had a stenotic cervix--in my case it was caused by the surgery I had but it can also occur if you've had a prior biopsy on the cervix, or even in rare cases due to childbirth.

Try your best not to over-interpret your doctors' words. I can't imagine a doctor matter-of-factly stating "you do not have cancer", when there may be a chance, however small, that you do. I would try to take it now as just a doc making sure all the bases are covered!

Anyway, sorry your DH hasn't been helping too much--men often want to fix things right away (regardless of whether it makes sense or not), don't they?

I'm in AZ too, are you in northern or southern AZ?

Take care,

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 09:59 AM

Hi Jane and Beth,
Thanks for being so supportive! Cancerhead? I have never heard that before but I get it!! I like that expression and that is exactly what was taking over yesterday.
I have no idea why I have a stenotic cervix, I don't know anything about that subject. Both of my children were C section, I have never had radiation ( only required mastectomy) I refused the Tamoxcifin ( sp ? ), never had a cone or cervix biopsy.

I have had 3 ultrasounds, both vaginal and abdominal. My DR attempted 2 biopsys. My uterus lining is not as thick as it was at the first ultrascound, but still too thick to suit my DR, plus I have new symptoms.
I know for sure I have fibroids and ademomyosis. Dr says maybe polyps are causing the bleeding after sex. Now THAT did get my hubby's attention.
So last night I discussed what my DR said, the risks of this surgery , that she may not be able to accomplish this even under a general or that my uterus might get punctured and IF it did and she could not stop the bleeding that she would have to do a hysterectomy on the spot, BUT she has never had to do that before.
And his comment was... " well you KNOW that she is just going to do what she wants to do, you're going to end up having a hysterectomy right then and there, that is what she is planning to do no matter what! "
eyy yii yiii He has never even met this DR, what IS his problem?? Then he asks what if it is cancer, I tell him everything must come out. Then he says well maybe then you should must go shead and do it if YOU want to.

He has really great when I had breast cancer, that took almost 3 years of reconstructive surgeries. Along the way I decided to get fit, I lost 60 pounds, I work out with a trainer and went from size 18/20 to 10/12, had a tummy tuck and a facelift and I have kept the weight off for over 2 years. Lately my aches have pains have become so bad I finally went to a Rheumatologist, I was dx'd with arthritis 17 years ago and 5 years ago my family DR gave me a RX that I took off and on and suddenly even that stopped working. Turns out I have Fibromyalgia too, I just thought I must be really lazy compared to other people!! I am on 3 medications, it has helped the pain a lot but it tends to make my face a little puffy from edema and he is having a cow!! Doesn't care the meds make me feel better, he doesn't like that fact it makes me looka bit fat in the face ( no one else notices!! and it is temporary and I have cut my meds down, my DR adjusted them due to edema)

This just happened 2 weeks ago and then this on top of it. I think he thinks I am just trying to be a couch potato and have an excuse for being fat again. Nothing has changed except that I take more meds now. He is really being rude and unbelieving about everything.

But he is going with me, taking 2 days off work, even though I told him I would be fine the next day, and that I could be back at the gym for a light workout by Friday. Maybe when he meets the DR he will stop being so rude about this. I really chose to try the D and C route first because of his attitude. I just know that if I had the hysterectomy everytime something was not to his liking he would blame my attitude or something on that D-- hysterectomy!!I can hear it now, LOL.

Well now I feel much better, my mind is off the D and C results, and more on my hubby, heehee.

Beth, I live in Gilbert, my youngest is at U of A.
Yeah you are dead on about men, they want to fix everything ( except stuff around the house heeheehee ) right away with one comment or by telling you what to do. And my hubby tells people what to do at 6 production plants in 5 states for a living, so I try to keep that in mind when he is soo bossy
Thanks again for being here, sorry this is so long.
Trudy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register