Operative Report - Scarey!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Operative Report - Scarey!! Operative Report - Scarey!!

Unread 03-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Operative Report - Scarey!!

Asked the Doc for some of my medical records and he provided me with the "operative report". Boy - it is scarey!! Unbelievable what they do while they are in there!! Anyway has anyone heard of "venous vascularity in and around the bladder & paravaginal space". "Has varicosities of the pelvis". I realize that it deals with varicose type veins. BUT WHAT DOES ALL OF THIS MEAN?? Is this bad and what will all of this do or cause in the future? HELP PLEASE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM

Wow.... very technical stuff there. Your doctor knows you have the report and probably is anticipating these questions. So, my opinion as a fellow patient is that you should ask the doc! Call or make an appt - whichever works for you.

I can say that varicose veins in the legs, while not the prettiest site, are sometimes not painful or harmful. My grandma is 87 and has had varicose veins since her 30s and no problems until this last year. She had an infection and it was treated and now she is fine.

Since I am not a doctor, I can only give you my hope that varicosities of the pelvis is just something he noted and that maybe nothing is expected to go wrong.

Hang in there and make that call!

s
Unread 03-04-2004, 06:51 PM

(((ROB3))),
Yes, those Op reports can be quite scary...exp intimidating because of those big medical terms Some of those words alone can result in a huge fear of what you may have going on! I've never been dx'd with that but I have read about it. It is known as *Pelvic Congestion Syndrome*
As ((Michelle)) stated, it is varicose veins but they are in the pelvic region Here are some links that contain some good info detailing exactly what this is, the symptoms along with its treatment options. I took them from our

Resources Directory

Pelvic Congestion Syndrome - What is it?

What is Pelvic Congestion?

I do hope these are of some help in understanding whats going on better at least until you can discuss it with your Dr.
Good Luck & pls keep us posted on how your doing

(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2004, 07:46 AM

thanks for your replies. Now that I have a "name" for this -I can continue to look into it - Boy - it never ends does it?? I sent a copy of the "operative report" to my OBGYN - asking for his input and what now? I see on some of the sights it used to be recommended to have a hysterectomy for this - I have already done that - been there - and ovary removal - done that. So now I have to see what else. I have always been telling my Doc about pain and a kinda "full" "bloaty" feeling even after my Hysterectomy - but he kinda ignored me. thanks for your input - if anyone else has this - please respond. thanks Robin
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:00 AM

I can't really answer your question, however, when I read the op report from laparoscopic surgery I had last year, I was stunned about all the stuff that happens once you're asleep. Geez.
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:03 AM

I hope you find great support from your doc and answers that bring you comfort.

Are you having pain currently? I found that keeping a journal of pain symptoms really got my doctor's attention and gave him something concrete to work with and a basis for our discussion. Doctor's are scientists, they love data.

I printed out calendars and used color coding (used highlighter markers) for different types of pain. And, it gave me something to hand him instead of trying to put it all into words. You might also track the bloating on there as well.

Please keep us posted!!!! We care!
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:18 AM

(((ROB3))),
If you'll do a search for SusanJWalters here on The Road...she was about a yr or so Post-Op & was suffering from pain Pelvic Congestion also You can also use the term Pelvic Congestion/Pelvic Congestion Syndrome both of the entire site & of this Forum. It will turn up additional info & other ((gals)) suffering this condition Post-Hyst as well...
We also have the Resources Directory that contains several links to info an many conditions It is also a searchable database
Hopefully you can find some good info/options that you can discuss with your Dr!!
Good Luck in your Research Pls keep us posted on how things are going.............(((((hugs))))))
Unread 03-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Endometriosis can cause that type of vascularity; the abnormal endometrial tissue creates its own blood supply and even if they remove the tissue itself, those veins are left behind. Engorged with blood, they can be pretty uncomfortable!

My doctor and I are pretty sure that's what has led to my ongoing cramping, etc. -- my op report two years ago said "VERY extensive vascularity and varicosities" and also that they had a hard time stopping the bleeding (hemostasis) due to all the vascularity. When I was "with it" enough to speak with one of the oncologists, he told me that it was one of the worst cases of endo he'd seen ("there isn't a stage V, but if there was, that's what you have"). Just having the hyst doesn't get rid of all the blood vessels that had formed. But cramping is pretty much ALL it has led to; the other problems I have and the pain are from other issues, such as bladder spasms and intestinal adhesions. And I still have SO much less pain than I did pre-hyst that it's OK -- for now.

Audrey
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:24 PM

Thanks for sharing that interesting info ((Audrey)) I was wondering if those *vascularities* showed up on any imaging tests you underwent?
I had some strange findings that have continued to appear on my follow-up CT's that are done twice a yr Thanks for sharing any further info

((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))
Unread 03-06-2004, 10:23 AM

((Audrey)) My doctor told me something similiar about the relationship between endo and the enlarged blood vessels... I think it is called angiogenesis. Also, the doctor mentioned that the hormone imbalances caused by endometriosis wreak havoc on the blood vessels as well.... I think it was the excess prostaglandins.

Anyway, I had enlarged blood vessels on the right and posterior before my hyst. I did have a venogram done several years before the hyst after a pain mapping showed the vessels on the right to be very painful... blood was pooling in several spots. Removing the right ovary and the hyst seemed to help with that problem as the venogram I had last summer didn't show anything abnormal.

((Sheri))... I had a pelvic venogram done by an interventional radiologist. She only checked my ovarian veins but I have read case studies of other IR doctors checking a number of different pelvic veins for problems. I don't think the IR doctor I saw was very experienced with trying to track down pelvic pain problems related to the pelvic veins.... she mostly did UAEs... The IR doctor also indicated that since I didn't have varicose veins in my legs it was unlikely that my pelvic veins were the main source of my problem.... which indeed turned out to be the case since I had the endometriosis and endosalpingiosis found with this last surgery in all the painful spots.

Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register