Operative Report - Scarey!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Operative Report - Scarey!! Operative Report - Scarey!!

Unread 03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Operative Report - Scarey!!

I haven't had much in the way of diagnostic testing, other than the C-T scans, so it wouldn't have shown up on anything I've had done. I've never been through the venogram (but I hear they're no fun, (((Sarah))), ).

I have seen occasional questions on the GYN boards about why endo isn't classified as "neoplastic" -- i.e. a form of malignancy. It meets some of the requirements, one of them being angiogenesis, as Sarah said: the ability to form its own blood vessels. And it's invasive like cancers, as we all know too painfully well. But since it's not considered "fatal" (although my ectopic pregnancy got my attention!) it doesn't "count."

Having the hyst doesn't necessarily eliminate these blood vessels, either, (((Rob))). The hope is that, deprived of estrogen, that the endometrial tissue they are attached to will wither away and the blood vessels eventually close themselves off, since there's no tissue left for them to feed. Plus, of course, the theory is that if you've had the uterus removed, that abnormal endometrial tissue will no longer be sent into the pelvis with every period. Endo can grow due to other factors, though, and the blood vessels may not always collapse and waste away, thus leading to pelvic congestion.

I hope, Rob, that this answers your questions (and you, too, (((Sheri))) ) and that this surgery is the start of an off-ramp for you!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 08:05 AM

Boy - you all have been very helpful. I did have Endo show up when my ovaries were removed back in 1998. Had no idea that the two may be connected. So what now? Are these things really bad - except for being uncomfortable? Do they possibly do something down the road - like explode or something? Could one break or open up and I not know it? Do they do that? I guess my gyn is going to have to contact this other doctor and see if Endo was spotted in there also - though he doesn't mention it in his report except that my retropubic space was "quite fibrotic and the bladder had adhered to the surface of the pubic bone". What basically is "fibrotic"? What tests may my gyn request? His is a "test" doctor!! He likes to do things!! Or will he tell me to forget it - and don't worry about it? I don't know - this is getting to be too much to think about!! HELP!!
Unread 03-08-2004, 08:31 AM

Everything I have been told indicates that the enlarged veins are potentially a pain problem but nothing else... There is possible treatment by an Interventional Radiologist... if they can identify which veins are the problem, they can embolize them... from what I have heard it can provide relief for a while. It really depends on what the cause is... (ie. endo, or a tendency towards varicose veins).

My "vein" problem was identified with a pelvic pain mapping... then I had the first pelvic venogram which showed blood pooling in the areas of the veins that were so painful. I have had two different typs of venograms... one where dye was injected into the veins in question and a series of xrays taken to determine how long it took the dye to clear the area. THe other venogram was done by inserting a catheter into the femoral vein and threading up and over into my ovarian vein(s)... then dye was injected and the doctor watched to see if it stayed in the pelvic area or was cleared.... It was my impression from the IR doctor that the ovarian veins are usually the most problematic because of the anatomy.

Best of luck finding an answer.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 08:50 AM

Fibrosis is a particularly dense form of adhesion; one of the markers for stage IV endo is where the vagina and rectum are fused, or fibrosed, together (which is what I had).

You may not have active endo at this time, but the results of your report seem to indicate that you did have significant endo at some point; even with the hyst, the scar tissue and vascularity remain. They could do the sorts of testing that (((Sarah))) had done, but only you can weigh your symptoms against the benefits you might gain from further procedures. The varicosities aren't really "dangerous" -- you shouldn't feel that they are some sort of time bomb just waiting to cause some sort of emergency. So worrying isn't really necessary, and can make your pain perceptions much worse.

Did you get relief from this latest procedure? That's what counts. Endo is a nasty beast :cry:, but if you can get a level of comfort that keeps you able to live your life, with severe endo, that's the goal!

Good luck, and hope you're feeling better soon!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register