pelvic pain 2 years post | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pelvic pain 2 years post pelvic pain 2 years post

Unread 03-04-2004, 08:09 PM
pelvic pain 2 years post

I had my tah 2 years ago. For the past six months I have been experiencing left sided pelvic pain. I was told that I have diverticulitis and this pain is associated with it. The other day I was in so much pain that I had to go to the er only to be told that the pain was not caused by diverticulitis. My blood work and ct were fine. What I am wondering is what adhesions feel like? When I had my tah the dr told me that the adhesions were so bad he had to chisle away at them. Can adhesions cause pain even if I have had everything removed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2004, 06:20 AM
pelvic pain 2 years post

any type of surgery can cause adhesions, especially gyn surgery. I had my hyst 9/03, and 4 months later, I had to have another exploratory lap during which they found tons of adhesions, and endometriosis. My gyn told me about 90 percent of women get adhesions, however, some are not symptomatic. I was in severe pelvic pain, very localized to one spot in particular.

I would have it checked out by your gyn. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose adhesions is through a laparoscopy. They can't be seen on CT or ultrasound.

Good luck

Laura
Unread 03-05-2004, 08:10 AM
pelvic pain 2 years post

I'm sorry to hear your having problems exp. from an unknown source :-( You asked:
  Quote:
Can adhesions cause pain even if I have had everything removed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, yes they can! We still have our Bladder, colon, Intestines, Vaginal cuff ect in there & Adhesions can adhere to these along with many other places & cause for some, severe pain... pulling, burning, stabbing ect... I am 4 yrs Post-Op TAH & do have my left Ovary remaining and I suffer quite a severe amount of pain. Mine is said to be in part from my Intestines being plastered together as well as attached to my vaginal cuff...about everything pretty much glued together *yikes* The problems & pain come in when these organs are not able to move freely as they are supposed to. Our internal organs are coated with a slippery substance that allows that movement w/o any friction. When the organs are *touched*or*disturbed* either by surgery, trauma, Endo, Infection they react by forming a fibrous, protective coating in a sort of defense mechanism. That defense mechanism is Adhesions....the slippery coating is removed by any of the above instances & the body's way of protecting itself from further *damage* is the formation of Adhesions. These prevent the movement of organs as Adhesions are like cobwebs at first in both consistency & substance...they attach & stick easily to what ever it touches first, once attached it's hard to UN-attach w/o surgical intervention. The pain may be caused by the organ being *pulled* out of place...such as an Ovary <the most commonplace for Adhesions to form> being attached to the Vaginal cuff & being pulled or twisted downward.
I experience some very sharp pains if I twist or turn suddenly..I can no longer bend certain ways due to the amount of pain it causes me!
Other examples can be Bladder issues...the Bladder being pulled exp. disturbed by Adhesions. It is very temperamental & doesn't respond well to being moved. The Ureter(s) can be constricted, as can other things, causing a disruption in the passage of fluids.
Many times Drs will refuse to operate to relieve the pain/symptoms of Adhesions. The most common complication of this is Bowel Obstructions, which can prove fatal if left untreated
The bowels/Intestines are also a commonplace for the formation of Adhesions, these can cause Gastrointestinal upset, constipation, diarrhea, pain with BM's/food digestion, rectal pain ect...
What happens is theses Adhesions wrap around the Intestines. They can be pulled tighter either by movement or most often thru time. Older Adhesions tend to *Shrink* not that they get smaller so to speak but they draw up/tighten & cause the pulling pains to increase. In case of Obstructions, it becomes more narrow until it is blocked off totally. In this case b/c nothing can pass, contents will back up & out the opposite way Left untreated, the pc of intestine will start to die-off because the Adhesions are preventing blood-flow, this is turn can cause gangrene, peritonitis or sepsis which can all be fatal.

There are products available to help prevent/reduce the formation of Adhesions though many don't carry a big success rate. The Surgeon using them must be very skilled to manipulate some of these products into place. Exp. when it's being performed via LAP > the preferred way to take down Adhesions & apply the Prevention Products <
There are tons of Resources available here that can help explain the symptoms, risks, treatment options ect in more detail. Several are located on the following page:

Adhesions Resources

Adhesions Prevention Products

I do hope this was of some help! I tried to explain it the best I could in a way that was understandable..I hope it was anyway
Good Luck in finding some answers & relief to your continuing pain I do hope you will keep us posted on how things are going for you..........((((((hugs)))))))
Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register