enlarged thyroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

enlarged thyroid enlarged thyroid

Unread 03-03-2004, 12:17 PM
thyroid enlargment

It has been almost two years since my total, (everything out) hysterectomy. Have been feeling pretty good. I still have an achey left side. Have had every test known, it seems, and am going to leave it alone for now. But, now, I have a problem with my thyroid. Had an ultrasound, blood work, and now have to see an endocrinologist to make sure it is my thyroid that is enlarged, and not a lymph node. Am now sure what to think. Has anyone experienced anything like this. Would really appreciate some light on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 09:08 PM
enlarged thyroid

Hi Serafina--I also have problems with my thyroid enlarging at various times, esp. when I have tried to take birth control pills and when I've had ovarian cysts.

I just had my total hysto on Feb. 20, and my thyroid was enlarged at that time and still is. My dr did a sonogram of it when he did my pelvic and found at least one cyst. He's referring me to an ear nose and throat doctor in two weeks.

My thyroid panels have always come back normal, but I lean toward hyperthyroidism in real life. I'm thin, very hot natured, very energetic, and eat a lot. I really hate to mess that up b/c I get a lot done!!!

I was hoping when my hrt gets regulated that my thyroid might settle back down as well.

Are you thinking the pain in your left side is related to your thyroid?????
Unread 03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
enlarged thyroid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
enlarged thyroid

I'm so glad I found this post. I was just about to post a similar thing. My hyst was also a little over 2 years ago and was just diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid. I had blood work that came back with a TSH of 0.11 and was told normal TSH was between .4-4.0. I was also told that a low TSH meant hyperthyroidism but I don't have any symptoms of hyper. My other lab T3, T4, and thyroxide or whatever it's called came back normal. I'm always cold. I will ask my endocrinologist when I see him next week if it had anything to do with my hysterectomy. I also had an ultrasound that showed goiters and don't exactly know why. The dr. never talked with me about the results even after I asked to speak with him. I will find out more with the endo next week. Here is a link or two with some information that may help. This one lists the symptoms of both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Notice the difference between the letter "o" and "e" in the word. They both mean different things. Hyper can mean overactive thyroid while hypo means underactive thyroid. http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyroid.html

http://synthroid.com/1_testing.cfm

Any idea what your blood work said and did your dr. recommend an ultrasound and have you see an endocrinologist?
I got a recommendation from my gyn's office for an endo. He's always checked my thyroid gland on my yearly visits so I know this was caught early. I saw my primary dr. in Dec and he never notcied my thyroid enlarged and then again in Feb when I thought I had an ear infection and it was then he said something about my thyroid.

When I asked about the difference of symptoms and treatment I got this response.
"Some symptoms of hyper are:

Intolerance to heat - you feel warmer than others, hot at times (hot flashes)

Light periods or periods cease altogether

Frequent bowel movements and/or diarrhea

Eyes are dry and/or tearing (watering)

Eyes sensitive to light

Eyelid retraction producing a "staring" look

Anxiety and/or panic attacks

Irritability

Hair shedding and/or breaking off

Fingernails grow fast

Hair grows fast

Racing thoughts

Mood swings

Fine tremors of the hands

Muscle weakness (especially in the arms and legs)

Shortness of breath

Fast pulse

High systolic blood pressure

There are 3 treatment options for hyperthyroidism.

1) Anti-thyroid medication
2) Surgery to remove a portion or all of the thyroid gland
3) Radioactive iodine to ablate (kill) the thyroid gland

It is important to know the CAUSE of the hyperthyroidism before you choose a treatment.

With autoimmune hyperthyroidism there is only one treatment which addresses the cause...which is the autoantibodies which stimulate the thyroid into overproducing thyroid hormone. The only treatment that lowers these autoantibodies is the anti-thyroid medication."

I read in one of my medical books that iodine is not one of the best ways to treat hyper because it usually can result in hypothyroidsim in which the person has to take thyroid hormone for the rest of his/her life. If it's hyper medication can be tried or can be totally cured with surgery. I am interested to see what exactly is causing my thyroid to be enlarged. I read that a low TSH alone isn't enough to diagnose hyperthyroidism. It depends on what the actual cause of the enlarged thyroid is that will determine how it can be treated.

Here is one link that said..... Endocrinology of Aging, The Postmenopausal Women
... prevalence of "subclinical" hyperthyroidism (a biochemical diagnosis characterized by a low serum TSH with normal serum ... studies suggests that T4 therapy alone is not a risk factor ...

http://www.endotext.com/aging/aging8/agingframe8.htm

If you haven't already, I would get some thyroid blood work, maybe a thyroid ultrasound, and see an endocrinologist based on what your dr. says. It was my primary dr. who ordered these tests and wrote on my thyroid blood work "refer to endocrinologist". The nurse gave me my results and said it meant hyper but again a dr. has to diagnose it because I read somewhere else that someone had all the symptoms of hypo and had a low TSH.

If you have you results I may be able to find you a chart that says what the normal lab values are and what each means but in the end it depends on the actual cause.
Good luck to you.
Unread 03-05-2004, 07:13 PM
enlarged thyroid

Just responded to your other post. This post answers my question as to if you had blood work, ultrasound, and are going to an endocrinologist. Do you have an appointment with one? I was able to have my lab results and ultrasound results faxed to the endocrinologist so he has them in my chart before I see him. I guess the next step would see what your endo dr. recommends. My ultrasound said towards the bottom...."Inhomogeneous lobulated appearance of both lobes of the thyroid gland suggesting multi-nodular goiter. No discrete nodules are identified. Thyroid nuclear scan may be performed for correlative imaging if deemed clinically advisable."

I'll let you know what my endocrinologist says when I see him on Thursday. I will ask him if hysterectomy can have anything to do with enlarged thyroid. My husband told me to ask him this. Glad you posted and that I found a search on the word thyroid. I didn't know there was such a recent post on the topic. Thank you so much. s

Here is a list of the state board directory. You can click on your state and actually look up your dr. I was able to find out a lot about the endo I will be seeing next week.
http://www.mhsource.com/resource/board.html
Unread 03-05-2004, 07:33 PM
enlarged thyroid

Wanted to add that I kept both my ovaries. Here is another post I found on this site. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hlight=thyroid

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html
"Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

Fatigue
Weakness
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
Hair loss
Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
Constipation
Depression
Irritability
Memory loss
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Decreased libido"

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hyper1.html

"Common symptoms and signs of hyperthyroidism

Palpitations
Heat intolerance
Nervousness
Insomnia
Breathlessness
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fatigue

Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze"

Like I said I'm always cold but my TSH came back low which could indicate hyperthyroidism. I haven't lost weight, but I am fatigued and have some insomnia. So I guess I could have either. My libido is definitely not decreased but I do have muscle aches probably related to my neck injury.
Unread 03-11-2004, 08:30 PM
enlarged thyroid

I saw my endo today and he said narcotics could have an effect on the thyroid but said the only way to eliminate the possibility of the narcotics causing the thyroid abnormality was to have me go off the narcotics for two weeks but also said that wouldn't happen and I agreed. He said unless I have surgery to get rid of my pain there may not be any way to determine if the low TSH could be due to my narcotic pain meds. By the way I have lost six pounds in the last month. We have this neat scale that's pretty accurate and I weighed 138 and 1/2 about two weeks ago but at the dr's office today I was 133. I confirmed it on our scale that I did loose weight.

Another possible cause of low TSH could have been due to a virus at the time I had my thyroid blood work so he rechecked it today to eliminate the possibility of a virus causing an enlarged thyroid.

He also soad that I could indeed have hyperthyroidism, but he is not going to treat me for it at this time because he doesn't know the cause of why I have a low TSH and My symptoms aren't severe. He said if I felt worse to go in. The important thing about treating thyroid problems is determining the cause. He mentioned something about a pituitary MRI but that would be way down the road from now if needed.
He did specifically ask if I kept my ovaries so those that didn't keep their ovaries may want to ask their endo about this.

I have an appointment with an O.S. next week and will discuss thyroid issues with him as there is only one dr. that has been telling me to avoid surgery because I was too young. Five other dr's have said my discs in my neck were causing my pain. The endocrinologist said if I have surgery to remove the pain and get off the narcotics, that could completely eliminate my thyroid problem and I may never have another problem with it again. I never thought other narcotics could affect the thyroid. Stean, thanks for looking up the info about the valium. I will still continue taking what my dr. ordered as my endo specifically told me not to go off the meds. It was a very nice visit, the dr. was very proffessional, nice, and the office staff was very caring and nice. I'm so glad I got the recommendation from my gyn to see this endo. I still don't know what's causing my TSH to be low and thyroid to be enlarged but if it's the narcotics, I will just have to hope surgery can get me out of pain or there is a better way to keep my pain under control so it doesn't mess up my thyroid.
Unread 03-11-2004, 08:33 PM
enlarged thyroid

Well I was wrong. I have lost six pounds in about three weeks. I saw my endo today and he said narcotics could have an effect on the thyroid but said the only way to eliminate the possibility of the narcotics causing the thyroid abnormality was to have me go off the narcotics for two weeks but also said that wouldn't happen and I agreed. He said unless I have surgery to get rid of my pain there may not be any way to determine if the low TSH could be due to my narcotic pain meds. By the way I have lost six pounds in the last month. We have this neat scale that's pretty accurate and I weighed 138 and 1/2 about two weeks ago but at the dr's office today I was 133. I confirmed it on our scale that I did loose weight.

Another possible cause of low TSH could have been due to a virus at the time I had my thyroid blood work so he rechecked it today to eliminate the possibility of a virus causing an enlarged thyroid.

He also soad that I could indeed have hyperthyroidism, but he is not going to treat me for it at this time because he doesn't know the cause of why I have a low TSH and My symptoms aren't severe. He said if I felt worse to go in. The important thing about treating thyroid problems is determining the cause. He mentioned something about a pituitary MRI but that would be way down the road from now if needed.
He did specifically ask if I kept my ovaries so those that didn't keep their ovaries may want to ask their endo about this.

I have an appointment with an O.S. next week and will discuss thyroid issues with him as there is only one dr. that has been telling me to avoid surgery because I was too young. Five other dr's have said my discs in my neck were causing my pain. The endocrinologist said if I have surgery to remove the pain and get off the narcotics, that could completely eliminate my thyroid problem and I may never have another problem with it again. I never thought other narcotics could affect the thyroid. Stean, thanks for looking up the info about the valium. I will still continue taking what my dr. ordered as my endo specifically told me not to go off the meds. It was a very nice visit, the dr. was very proffessional, nice, and the office staff was very caring and nice. I'm so glad I got the recommendation from my gyn to see this endo. I still don't know what's causing my TSH to be low and thyroid to be enlarged but if it's the narcotics, I will just have to hope surgery can get me out of pain or there is a better way to keep my pain under control so it doesn't mess up my thyroid.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register