That darn hole! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

That darn hole! That darn hole!

Unread 10-26-2000, 01:00 PM
That darn hole!

I am now 8 weeks post-op from an abdominal hysterectomy and 2 weeks post-op from bladder repair to repair a fistula I somehow obtained during the hysterectomy surgery. Anyway, today I went back to the urologist so he could perform a cystogram and see if everything was healed and remove this catheter. Well, much to my dismay, there is still a small hole and I have to keep this catheter in for another 2 weeks!! I am totally bummed!! I had just about recovered from the first surgery then had to be cut open to repair a problem and now have to recover all over again. As one person told me, it sucks to be me!! Can anyone tell me if they've had this experience and if there is a light at he end of the tunnel? In 2 weeks I will have another cystogram and if it's not healed I'm not sure what I wlll do - I guess just hold another pity party like the one I'm having today. Thanks for letting me sound off - it helps a little (as will the shopping I plan on doing tomorrow!). Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2000, 07:46 PM
That darn hole!

{{Sharon}},
Vent anytime!!! I know it always helps me feel better to know there are other women out there reading and understanding our frustrations. Hang in there, hopefully it will heal on its own before the next test. You've been through so much already. I hope all goes well with the Cystogram. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you can feel better soon
Unread 10-26-2000, 10:26 PM
That darn hole!

Hi, I am 7 weeks post op, having some bladder woes of my own, I was just curious as to what the symtoms of your fistula were? Can you tell me if they were there from day one or gradually appear. Thanks so much. It has been mentioned to me and I am trying to find out all that I can about it first. I really hope you start to do better. Penny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2000, 01:43 PM
That darn hole!

Just wanted to wish you luck in your recovery and hope your fistula heals up on its own this time.

I know what your going through, and there is light at the end of the tunnel! (((HUGS)))
Unread 10-28-2000, 04:19 PM
Hang in there Sharon

Sharon,

Boy when it rains it pours. I know how you feel, My bladder plus the bonus ureter tube problem has gotten me down too. I had to wear that catheter for 5 weeks! One Dr. told me to look at the catheret as a friend who is trying to help you heal. I know it is hard, but it just may do the trick with the other hole. Now is this a new hole, or a hole the Dr, missed?? I have to have another procedure this Nov 20th to get the stent they put in me out. and we talk surgery for the bladder after that. Hang in there Sharon, things just have to get better soon!! I'll keep you in my prayers!

Barb
Unread 10-29-2000, 05:09 AM
That darn hole!

Sharon,

My fistula reared its ugly head on Feb 25. I had to wear diapers from then until Sept 19 when I Finally had surgery to correct the 1cm hole that had developed. I wore 2 catheters for one week following surgery, then the suprapubic for another 3 weeks. One thing I did do while wearing the cath was take L-Lysine, my One-A-Day, and an anti-oxidant tab. I drank plenty of water so that the urine was fairly diluted. The biggest thing I did was to make sure my bladder was drained to let it heal. And rest - lots of rest! Your body will heal itself pretty well when you give it a chance. The day the cath came out, I felt so free! You will feel this too! I am surprised that they didn't see the 2d hole while they were in repairing the other, but pin-sized things are hard to see! Take good care and know that this will pass. I didn't think so at the time myself. Carrying around a bag does nothing for the self-esteem, but it sure beats diapers! You are in my thoughts, sister.
Unread 10-31-2000, 08:54 AM
That darn hole!

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I am trying - really hard - to keep a positive attitude and to convince myself that next week that hole will have healed.

{Penny} The symptoms of my bldder problem started one week after my surgery. I stood up and had a gusher - thankfully I had a pad on. I thought I perhaps had a bladder infection, called the doc who put me on antibiotics. This did not help so from there had my gyno schedule me to see a urologist who discovered - through a couple of tests - that I had a fistula or hole in the bladder. The symptoms consisted of urine running out of my vagina shortly after I had anything to drink. I eventually had to revert to using Depends untl my surgery. If I wanted to do anything during the day, I planned on doing it in the morning and didn't have anything to drink until I was done. I hope this info helps.

I will let you all know next week if the extra 2 weeks with the catheter has helped to heal me for good. Keep you fingers crossed!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register