Abnormal PAP with HPV | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abnormal PAP with HPV Abnormal PAP with HPV

Unread 03-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

Thanks to everyone for all the information/support/advise/listening on this thread!

I just got my PAP results: LGSIL - then in the write up it says the results indicate positive for HPV inthe High/Intermediate risk groups.

I had to make an appointment for my colposcopy, but the GYN staff say they may not do it at my appt in 3 weeks, they may do an evaluation first then schedule it for later, as I have not been seen there before. (was going to family practitioner for pap)

So - I have 3 weeks to wait to get in to the GYN and they may not even do the test! Talk about anxiety, stress, etc!

My question, basically, is what am I in for now? If they don't like the look of the colposcopy, how quickly do they do surgery? Is it something that can typically wait a few months?

I know everything depends on the individual, but I would be interested in knowing how long between diagnosis and surgery, if any was required, or intermediate steps, or, I don't know, (because I have just started on the path) just what else do I need to know?

I am thinking also that maybe stress was a factor in triggering this. I had one abnormal pap about 8 years ago, but on retest was normal.

Now, I am trying to start a divorce, my brother is in legal trouble, and everything seems to be happening at once!

I am so glad I found this site!

Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

What they will do from here will have a lot to do with what they found. I had a cone biopsy and they found too much of the corcinoma in the margins (edges) of the sample so chose not to put off surgery and my hysterectomy was 19 days after the results came in. Later my gyno was very cavalier about my surgery actually forgetting the fact he had already done it when I went in for my post-op appointment so I don't know if the ruch had been as necessary as he made it. I know this doesn't help but it does teach one thing. Ask A LOT of questions. Make sure you have a clear understanding of what the doctor has found so you can make an informed contribution to the decision.

I did take my biopsy results to another doctor AFTER the fiasco post-op appointment because I needed to know if in my numb shock I had been a total fool in letting myself be rushed into the operation. The second doctor, one who has earned my trust over many years, said he too would have had the hysterectomy done right away. That put me more at ease. You are asking these questions at the right time, BEFORE an irrevocable decision has been made. If nothing else, learn from my niavety. I went through a lot of grief and stress after the operation because I trusted too blindly before it was done.
Unread 03-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

I agree with hopeseeker, ask TONS of questions. Be sure to write them down because when you get to the doctor, if youre like me, youll draw a blank.

I had an abnormal pap in August, a colposcolpy in Oct , a cone and diagnosis of cervical cancer in Nov, and a TVH in Dec.

During my appt for the pathology reports following the cone, my doctor told me that a hysteectomy was necessary, but if i wanted more kids, they could wait the 9 months for that (not an issue). My cancer was so small size wise and was staged at 1A1. Since having another child was not an issue, we sheduled the TVH for 12/23.

I can totally relate to the stress. My husband left for Iraq in June, I broke out in Shingles in July, abnormal pap in august, etc....just one thing after another. Thats just my health, thats not to mention the drama with work, the kids, life, etc.

Hope this helps
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

Oh - one more question -

When a colposcopy is done, how painful is it? Would I be able to go to work afterward?

Same question for cone biopsy - I understand this requires a hospital stay maybe ? but same question - pain, and resuming normal activities ..

I like to have at least a good idea what I am talking about before I consult with any "experts" whether it is medical, or about my car, computer, garden, etc. (Knowledge is power)

Thanks!
Unread 03-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

Hi Rainflower,

Are they taking biopsy samples with colposcopy or just taking a look? If they are just looking, in my experience, there is a little discomfort but no pain.

Both my cone biopsies were done as outpatient surgery on Fridays and I was back to work on Tuesday. I could've gone back on Monday, frankly, but decided to give myself an extra day! The doc should give you some painkillers as there can be quite a bit of soreness and cramping afterward. Overall, it's not too bad!

Good luck to you,

Beth
Unread 03-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

I had my culposcopy and drove 30 miles home in Los Angeles rush hour traffic . It wasn't painful at all; they did some poking and prodding, and the biopsy caused some cramping, but I found that pressing my hand over my bladder area relieved that for the few seconds that took. I had also taken some ibuprofen prior to the procedure at my doctor's recommendation. It wasn't that hard!

I also was able to drive home after the cryo with no problem -- the only restriction there was no sex for two weeks. It too was uncomfortable for a little while (no more than an hour or so). I did have to wait some time to get in for both procedures, as my doctor's office has a procedure room that books up quickly, and the culposcopy can take 45 minutes start to finish. Since cervical cancers tend to move slowly (not always, but usually), my doctor felt that this wait wasn't a problem for me.

I had a hyst, keeping my cervix only, for other reasons, and this new "stuff" has popped up as a surprise after years of normal Paps. There is no question that stress will take any latent virus and "activate" it -- that's why, (((Jen))), your shingles may also have re-activated at this time. There was a relatively recent thread about diet and HPV -- there is evidence that upping folic acid intake, in particular, may help fight off the virus.

As far as whether or not to jump directly into surgery on the basis of one "bad" Pap, a lot will depend upon what is found with biopsy. A lot of ladies have had LEEP, cone, or cryo with no further incident; you just have to be REALLY faithful about those Pap smear appointments and trying to keep your immune system strong. If you're a smoker, that does increase your risks considerably -- quitting when you can would help in all sorts of ways!

Good luck; I had my cryo a couple of weeks ago and have my repeat Pap in April (keeping fingers crossed here). If still positive, we're discussing a further surgery to remove my cervix; with my history of endo, adhesions, etc. the oncologists aren't in a real hurry (nor am I!!). However, if this cryo didn't eradicate the HPV/CIS, then I'm not willing to keep going through cryo after cryo -- not a risk I wish to take with young kids and a friend with advanced cervical cancer.

Odds are, though, that this cryo did it for me -- not everyone goes on to cancer (most don't, in fact). I hope it does the same for you!

Audrey
Unread 03-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

As a veteran of numerous colposcopies, I can tell you they are painless. It's like a regular pelvic, except that the doc is looking at abnormal cells with a fiber optic device--kinda like she's looking at your cervix with a pair of binoculars. In my case, a biospsy usually follows, which I DO find painful, although briefly. A cone biopsy does require anaesthetic, but I believe it is usually an outpatient procedure, and the side effects are usually cramping, bleeding, etc.

You have low-grade lesions, which I had, and which were eliminated with a LEEP procedure. This may not be a cause for hysterectomy for you.
Unread 03-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

Thanks to all of you!

<taking a deep breath>

I am much more calm, and not quite as anxious as I was, waiting for the next appointment.

Audrey - Great photos! I am just down from you, in SD - we check out the "panda cam" at work each day!

Jan
Unread 03-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Abnormal PAP with HPV

Jan:

Good luck with the appointment -- deep breaths are good! They're useful for getting you through all sorts of unpleasantness...

I'm glad you like the pictures . We have memberships both in San Diego (and we don't get down near often enough) and Los Angeles, which is where I got the lion and the giraffe, as well as some of the foliage. Just never enough time to take as many pictures as I would like!

Hope it all goes well, and that the culposcopy and possible biopsy are the last step for you. Do take care of yourself in this stressful time, OK? It can make all the difference in the world in fighting off any viral infection.

Audrey
Unread 04-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Thank-you

Colposcopy/biopsy completed last week - final result - - - mild dysplasia. (The Dr. said that the test for hpv on the biopsy was negative - hmm)

Anyway - one more biopsy (LEEP) inside the cervix, and then she said I am done, then just have the 6 month paps. (I hope this turns out to be true!)

It really was a lot easier than I had anticipated!

Thank-you all for your words of support and advise!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register