Called Doctor re: emotions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Called Doctor re:  emotions Called Doctor re: emotions

Unread 10-26-2000, 03:58 PM
Called Doctor re: emotions

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 10/3/00. Ever since then, I have been experiencing hot flashes, night sweats and crying. I finally gave in and called the Doctor this morning. He is putting me on climara patches. I've never heard of them, but its some kind of estrogen. Just thought you guys would want to know! He seems to think that if my ovaries aren't working, they won't end up working. I guess 50% of people who have vaginal hysterectomies that keep their ovaries, end up having their ovaries quit working. Hopefully this will take care of my symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2000, 04:56 PM
So glad to hear you called

Karen,
I was so glad to sign on and see your post I was happy to see that you called and that they are putting you on something. Climara is a estrogyn and I have seen some info. in the hormone jungle. I hope that this will solve your hot flashes and night sweats. Hang in there hon, I am cheering for ya
Unread 10-26-2000, 05:05 PM

Karen & Mary

I had a TAH/BSO on 10/3. My doctor put me on Vivelle patches that day, and I've had no problems. I'm sure that your emotions will start leveling out soon! These patches are great! Just change twice a week and no worries about remembering to take pills daily. I notice both of you had surgery that same day. Hope you are recovering well! I started feeling much better after two weeks, and getting better each day. I'm ready to go to work after my 4 week check-up. I'm starting to go stir crazy. I think I'll be exhausted, but I'm sure that too will pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2000, 09:33 PM

Hello everyone I had my TAH/BSO on October 19th and I also use the climera patch. It is working great. I change mine 1 time a week and So far so good.
Lea
Unread 10-27-2000, 10:08 PM

Hi Karen,

I have to ask you, did your doctor say that 50% of women who keep their ovaries end up with ovaries that don't function? Reason I ask is that I read that on this website, but couldn't find any research or evidence in medical journals to support that claim. I asked my doctor if this was the case and he said he never heard of that statistic. He said it was possible that it might happen to some women if they had some other contributing factors. And he did say that some women's ovaries shut down temporarily for like 6-8 weeks after surgery out of shock, but he maintained that it was unlikely for my ovaries to shut down for good due to the hysterectomy.

I ordered a recently updated copy of the "Encyclopedia of Women's Health and Wellness" and it also says that a hysterectomy, with ovaries left in tact, usually results in the ovaries continuing to function normally. Who knows what kind of statistic they have in mind when they say "usually", but the group that issues this book is ACOG (the American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists), and they represent the 40,000 OB/GYN doctors in the United States. So, it's just makng me nuts that I've heard that statistic (50% of women with ovaries lose their funtioning) but that I can't figure out where it's coming from. Just wondered if you knew...

Also, if you just had your hyst. on 10/3, I don't know if it's been long enough to tell if your ovaries are shut down for good. A lot of Sisters here have mentioned that their doctors wanted them to try & get throught the first 6-8 weeks post-op before deciding if the ovaries are shut down for good or just out of shock. I am obviously not a doctor, and if he is helping to aleviate your symptoms, then all the better. But if you have any worries about getting on HRT pre-maturely, maybe get a second opinion about what's happening to you right now...

Also, I'm thinking about snooping around in the Hormone Jungle with this issue, maybe we can get some scoop on this over there...

Best Wishes,
Unread 10-28-2000, 08:32 AM
Thank you

This hormonal issue is so confusing. I read on here about the 50% of women's ovaries quit functioning and I did find it in a book I just bought. They said the same thing. My Doctor seems to think if they quit working, they won't start back up, but maybe I'll have to ask him to clarify that. I go in for my 4 week check up on Tuesday. I just started on the patch yesterday and it takes a week before I'll notice anything. I'm only 38, so am nervous about osteoporosis setting in on me when I'm so young. I will have to research more on this subject though too. Are you having the same symptoms I am or are your ovaries working now??? I have asked several of my friends who have had this done and they had no problem with their ovaries working right away. They never had the hot flashes, etc. Well, thanks for your input!
Unread 10-28-2000, 09:59 AM
my humble opinion (opinion being the keyword)

I also have read in these posts time and time again about that 50% statistic. I just sort of chose to ignore it. It really doesn't matter to me what the statistic is if my ovaries don't work does it really matter if 50% of the other womens ovaries have, or vice versa?
I think like alot of other things, it's a wait and see issue. There are LIW who concern themselves about this issue, and none of us can give the answer, everyones body is different.
OMG now I'm reading this and I see it is coming across really arrogant and in a "scoulding" kind of tone. That's not how I mean to come across.
What I'm trying to say is that no one knows how this surgery is going to affect the ovaries afterwards. I don't want any LIW to come and think that they have a good chance of their ovaries shutting down permanently.
I am 2 1/2 wks. post op and have been battling with the hot flashes. Emotionally I notice I am a little more sensitive than usual but not to the extent that Karen has described. Reading that it sometimes takes 6-8 wks. for ovaries to start working again, I opted to wait it out a little longer before calling the Dr. But like I said, I do not have the magnitude of symptoms that Karen is having.
Unread 10-28-2000, 01:03 PM

I understand what you're saying, it is so confusing. I just called my Doctor last week to see if this was normal and he prescribed estrogen. I wasn't looking for estrogen, just wanted to know if this was normal. I have read on here that it is and I am hoping that it is, but I go by my Doctor's word when I am in doubt. Like I said earlier, I have talked to several friends who have had this done and they had no problems at all with their ovaries not working. They experienced no hot flashes, etc. They said this surgery was the best thing they've ever done. I agree. I don't mean to be whining about it and to scare people off, because it is such a relief. As I approach 4 weeks postop, each day gets better and better for me. I actually feel like I have more energy than I've had in years. I can't wait to start becoming much more active. I'm going to my Doctor on Tuesday for my postop checkup, so I am going to ask him to clarify on this issue. I do think you're right in that everybody's body is totally different. Just because my ovaries aren't working, doesn't mean they won't. However, because I was having some problems with this prior to my surgery, I am wondering if perhaps they were shutting down anyways. I'm young for that, but one of the nurses seemed to think that that's what was happening to me. I'll let you know what my Doctor says after Tuesday.
Unread 10-28-2000, 01:20 PM

Karen-
Again I want to make sure you know I wasn't trying to be offensive when posting (I'm paranoid about this now, lol).
I didn't realize you were having hormonal problems prior to surgery. Did your mother or any other family members go through early menopause? I have a g/f that went through menopause at 32 years old. Her Dr. said sometimes it happens when you are young, but couldn't give her any real reason why (other than genetics. she was healthy up to that point, no female problems).
I agree that you have to trust and go by what your Dr. tells you. And I certainly did not think you were whining in the least! The little bit of experience I have had with heat flashes was no fun, and it's nothing compared to what you have been going through.
Unread 10-28-2000, 03:23 PM

Don't worry, Kat, I didn't find your post offensive at all! I've been glad you read your posts on here, I find them very informative, actually. Its very nice to be able to talk to somebody who has gone through this too. People don't understand unless they've been there. I am adopted, so I have no idea when my Mom went through menopause. Maybe that's why they seem to think my ovaries were shutting down. I was having hot flashes as part of PMS before and also lots and lots of bleeding. These hot flashes are different though. I did think they would be worst, they're not really that bad. The worst part of this for me is the brain fog and lack of motivation. I need to get so much done and have no desire. The crying gets kind of humorous actually. Well, thanks for listening to me!

Best Wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register