Stomach poochy..from fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stomach poochy..from fibroids? Stomach poochy..from fibroids?

Unread 03-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Stomach poochy..from fibroids?

I am considering a TVH (for two years now), I have numerous fibroids (too many to count). I am about ten pounds overweight (like most of the female population) but my belly has seemed to be getting larger lately. I was told as of my last vaginal ultrasound in Dec. 2003, that my utereus is the size of a 10-12 week pregnancy. I had been moaning to my hubby about going on a diet when he looked at me an went "WOW", I was standing in my bra and panties. His "wow" was because he said, from the side I looked pregnant, not because I looked sexy. Has anyone noticed a difference after surgery and healing and surgery swelling has gone down, that your belly is normal again?

Thanks for any in-put. This site is so great and informative. I have learned more here than from my doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 02:34 PM

I can tell you what is was like for me...prior to my surgery the fibroids I had made my tummy about the size of a 4 month pregnancy (about 16 weeks). After surgery I had quite a bit of swelly belly for about 4-5 months. Once my body was completely healed the swelling went away. I am now 2 years post-op from a LAVH and my tummy is normal again.

s
Unread 03-08-2004, 02:44 PM

Hi Jeanette,

I was in the same boat as you, my tummy looked 5 months pregnant and was hard and uncomfortable and I had little interest in sex. I was at a loss to explain it because the only thing showing up on my ultrasounds was a lime size fibriod which was partially removed a few months earlier.

My Dr scheduled a TVH which was supposed to take an hour, mostly I was dealing with watery discharge, scar tissue and heavy bleeding issues. Surprise Surprise he found a grapefruit size fibriod outside of my uterus pressing on my bladder, the surgery took 2 1/2 hours.

If Dr had known I probably would have ended up having a TAH. I lost 3 lbs that day alone. After a few weeks I had lost another 7lbs without trying. Tummy looks so much better, still a bit remains but I am trying to stick to a low carb diet and just ordered a "sit up machine" from QVC. My life has improved 100% since my surgery.

I don't want or mean to scare you but you might want to consider getting things under way while the Dr is still able to do a TVH before your fibriods get bigger.

Take care,

Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 03:07 PM

Jill:

I found your post very interesting. I have two fibroids the size of walnuts and edno and adeno. In my opinion the fibroids are small, my uterus is the size of a 3-4 month pregnancy and that all seems mild compared to all of these women. I have terrible cramps and what struck me funny about your post was the water discharge. I have been to a urologist, and he said just a slight prolapse nothing that should cause that. Did you have it some days and not other days. I have not desire for sex at all. I pee all the time. Was the watery discharge from the fibroid?

Thanks
Tina
Unread 03-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Hi Jeanette. I had an SAH two weeks ago and they removed a number of fibroids - one grapefruit sized and the rest smaller. The whole thing was the size of a 20 week pregnancy and weighed 4 pounds.

Even with some swelly belly, I'm already noticing my stomach is flatter than it's been in years. I tried on a pair of trousers today that used to be pulling at the seams around my midsection and now they're loose. I also put on my jeans with the same result, but had to take them off right away because it's still uncomfortable to be in anything other than sweatpants right now.

Now that I'm walking a bit more (just 15-20 minutes at a stretch), I have a bigger swelly belly, but it's still not as big as my old fibroid belly (yet, it's still early days post-surgery).

So, I'm happy with my results so far!

All the best with your surgery,
Trish
Unread 03-08-2004, 04:47 PM

i can go up at least 4 sizes.and last month i gave up and bought used preggo pants.........when i stand up its like a realy bad head rush to my tummy and then POW its huge.weired hu
Unread 03-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Watery discharge

Thank you all for replying, it really helps to know that it's not all in my head or I'm just getting fat in my stomach. What I found interesting is that I also have absolutely no interest in sex for quite some time now and some days I have a watery discharge. I don't know if it's urine. Also, some days more than others I have a constant urge to pee and I only pee a few drops. I have always had vaginal discharge but it's alot worse now, sometimes I can feel it coming out of me. Thank God for panty liners. Any other insight would be helpful.
Unread 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM

Hi Janette and TeenaB

Regarding the watery discharge.

Mine started out as a mild mucousy discharge I started noticing during the summer of 2002 I would have trouble with it around ovulation.

By the time I had my myomectomy in March 2003, it had gotten watery and would start a few days after my period ended but was still manageable and would quickly end when I ovulated.

After my myomectomy it came back with a vengance, soaking numerous pads a day. My Dr said it was caused by high estrogen early in my cycle and the reaction of unhealed uterine tissue from the failed myomectomy. Some sisters call it "fibroid aide".

By the time I had my TVH, I was also passing some pretty good size blood clots thru out the month.

The worse part was instead of having 3 bad days a month like you should have while menstrating, I was averaging 3 good/dry days a month after ovulation and before the PMS started.

I was also running to the potty constantly, was up 2 or 3 times a night and never much more than a trickle.

I wish you all the best,

Jill
Unread 03-08-2004, 06:50 PM

I think most of your questions have been answered, but I wanted to add that I too never had a good night's sleep while I had my fibroids. Easily each night was 3-4 trips to the bathroom to pee. I could not sit through an entire dinner at a resturaunt and usually had to use the ladies room 2-3 times. (and we eat pretty fast).

For me, it was because my fibroids were pushing against my bladder and crowding everything inside of me.

The first thing I noticed after each myomectomy and since my TAH/LSO is that I can sleep through the night! I forgot how wonderful that is!

Good luck to you all.

BSQ
Unread 03-09-2004, 03:28 PM

Bobby Sue:

I hear you on the potty trips, a good night for me is 2 times and a bad night is 8-9. I also am away from the table at dinner. We go out with friends and I have one beer and you might as well just leave me in there. Most of my friends have had the same problem and do understand, but want to know when I am going to get it fixed. LOL. Its very reassuring to know there are others out there with the same problems.

Tina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register