I give up... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-08-2004, 07:05 PM
I give up...

Back to the dr for me today... They are now saying that I am having bladder spasms... I don't think they know what is going on. They gave me some meds to numb my bladder and dextrol la to stop the spasms then told me to come back on Friday and let them now if it helps. I swear I am ready to scream the pain is so bad.
I have never heard of bladder spasms but if this is it boy I don't wish them on my worst enemy.
Just wondering if any sisters have had this experience.
In love and light...
by the way the blood is still in my pelvic cavity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 07:54 PM
I give up...

Dear ((Dabearzz))

I am sorry that the doctor didn't do anything about the blood. I don't think that is unusual if you are not actively bleeding. Like I mentioned, my doctor wasn't inclined to clean it up until he talked to the Mayo doctor and I had such horrendous pain. It will eventually absorb on it's own with time... but it does seem a high price to pay. The risk for infection is high with another surgery and that is one reason why my doctor was worried about cleaning it up...

The doctor had given me pyridium and detrol for my bladder pain. The detrol did help a little. The pyridium did not... I think because it numbs the inside but the problem was on the outside.

I am sorry you are dealing with this and having to go through so much pain during your recovery. Did you ask about the Fleets Phospha-soda for the constipation problem? It was the only thing that helped me.... and still is... I had to take it again last night.

Keep us posted.

Sarah
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Well, it isn't working

Well, I have taken four of the six numbing pills and I am still in major pain. I finally did have a bm today but my goodness I felt like it was razor blades. It hurt so bad. I started sweating and shaking and got sick to my stomach and I have been hurting from it all day. My cramping has gotten worse since then. I am hoping that this is the worst and tomorrow will be better. You know the old saying" it always gets worse before it gets better." All I know is if this doesn't stop my dr is going to have to find out what is going on... I know that they have done an x-ray and catscan and ultrasound but he has got to give me some answers you just don't have pain like this for nothing.
Something else that struck me as funny. Yesterday at the drs. I had to see a different dr because mine was in surgery well, he at first said that the x-ray and catscan showed +or- the same amount of blood or fluid in my pelvic cavity that the original ultrasound showed the first time.... Then upon further questioning he says that there was no fluid in my pelvic cavity. That the pain is from my bladder only... I am confused... I am still in pain and it really isn't getting any better I know Friday isn't that far away but it feels like an eternity when you are hurting.
Thanks for listening.
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Bladder spasms real

Dear DaBearzzz, i have a disease to my bladder called "IC" (Interstitial Cystitis). This causes lots of bladder spasms. And yes they really hurt!!!!!! I'm not saying you have this disease, but bladder pain is as bad as bad menstrual cramps!!! I ask the dr just yesterday if I could be having phantom pain and she said no it was my bladder. Sad to say but your pain is real. Get your heating pad back out!! I wish you all the luck!!! Let me know how you are feeling in a couple of days.

one yellow rose (Jenn)

TAH AND RSO ON 2-19-2004
Unread 03-09-2004, 05:22 PM
I give up...

Dear ((Jen))

I am sorry you are still feeling so badly

I had a few thoughts for you.... why don't you request copies of your records/tests so that you can see for yourself what has happened. I think I mentioned that the blood in your pelvic cavity would eventually be absorbed... I have absolutely no idea how long that takes (3 days or 3 weeks... I don't have a clue). My doctor did tell me that even after the surgery to remove the blood I would still have alot of extra pain from the inflammation to the peritoneum... It just seems you are getting some mixed messages and ...if it were me... I would just want to know the bottom line (ie. did the last doctor tell me it was gone because it really is... or did he just make a mis-statement).

If the blood is really gone your insides could definately still be really inflamed from the whole mess... or perhaps you have something else going on... I guess that is why it would be good to have all the test results.

I hope everything else you are experiencing is just recovery pain made more difficult by the "blood problem".... and not something else going on (like the IC ((Jenn)) mentioned)... I am almost 5 weeks post-op and finally feeling sort of normal although I am still tired and I still have pain in the spots he operated on.... and my bowels are still messed up (PSN and Cecopexy side affects) but my bladder seems to be working OK.

Keep us posted.

Sarah
Unread 03-09-2004, 05:58 PM
I give up...

Hello,
I can tell you that bladder spasms hurt really bad.I would rather chop both of my feet off than go through that again. I had to go to the ER after having cath removed and was having bladder spasms that wernt allowing me to pee. They drained over a liter of urine out of my bladder that night.I think they are more painful when the bladder is full.I still have them when I urinate but I can handle the ones that I am having.As soon as i pee they go away. I am not taking anything for it though.my dr did give me oxytocin for the spasms but i dont find that it helps.So I dont take anything. It does hurt when I try tto pee at first but it beats still having a catheter in. I just had my cath removed Monday. I had it for over 2 weeks so Im just happy that its gone and I can pee on my own. Try not to let your bladder get to full maybe it will help the severity of the spasms that you are having.But, I find that all bladder spasms hurt. also try and relax when trying to pee. I have found that if I start to have one, I will try to keep from peeing,Ill tighten the muscles, like doing a kegal and it goes away,it does come back but doesnt hurt as bad as it did when it first started.Try it and see if it helps you and let me know. Let me know how everything goes...........Glory
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Well, I am still waiting

It has been four days and I am still in pain... I don't think that it worked. I am so disappointed. I don't know what I am going to do. I just put a call into the dr for him to call in some more pain meds because I don't think I can wait till tomorrow. Plus it is an hour drive to see him. That is going to kill me... I am beginning to feel so hopeless. This pain is just consuming me. I am trying not to let it but everytime I begin to do something else I have to stop because I feel like I am going to faint... I have been able to sit and read with my children so that is wonderful and we have been watching alot of disney movies. But I want to be able to play with them agian I was alway the one to play baseball and football with them. Now I can't .
I know it has to be taking a toll on them. My oldest one is really starting to act out. His temper is becoming a real problem. The middle one and the baby are so clingy they won't let me out of thier sight they are afriad I won't be here. I am really losing hope that this pain will ever go away. And I know hubby has got to be getting sick of taking care of everyone including me. He hasn't said anything but he has a very demanding job then has to come home to me and three kids. I try to make dinner and keep the house clean but I can only do so much...
I know I am whining I am sorry I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening I will stop now and go have a good cry that always helps....
In love and light.
Jeni
Unread 03-10-2004, 10:05 AM
I give up...

Dear ((jeni))

This is just to remind you that you are only 2 weeks after a complicated surgery... and since you have had complications with your recovery all ready I think you need to try to be patient and remind yourself that you just had surgery with complications from bleeding so it may take more time that normal.... I know it is hard to be patient... I am still having pain from my left ovary and from the place on the right where he excised the endo (5 weeks post-op). Based on my past experiences with pain relief from surgery I am not going to say it didn't work until I am at least 3-4 months post-op and still having the same amount of pain.

Sometimes Laparascopies are hard because you only see the small incisions on the outside which don't look like much... but you forget all the work done inside... I couldn't believe what the tissue looked like 9 days post-op...all the areas on the pelvic walls and bladder where he did work were all bumpy and blistered and icky looking.

Please try to consider the amount of time required to heal... hopefully what you are experiencing is not how it will be long term. After the surgery that I had in 1999 for the pain that ended up helping quite a bit, I actually felt much worse for the first 6-8 weeks before I started feeling better.... I made several trips to the ER for shots of Demerol during that time and thought I was doomed.... but it finally got better and I did end up having alot of relief.

Sarah
Unread 03-10-2004, 10:55 AM
I give up...

Dear Jeni:

Don't give up hope. Give up worrying about house cleaning, cooking dinner and the burden on DH.

Be a good princess!!! You should be resting and recovering right now.

You're oldest might be feeling a little helpless. I'm sure he knows Mommy doesn't feel good and hasn't for some time. I found that with my sons, it helped to give them ways to help me. Something realistic that they can do ... like bring you the remote or an extra pillow or to sit beside me for a moment and give a gentle hug.

Hang in there, sweetie!!!

Unread 03-10-2004, 11:38 AM
kids

Oh dear Jeni,

I know how you feel about the negative effects of your pain on your family and inability to do things with your children. I don't know if this will help or not, but one thing that makes me feel better is to realize that it is not all bad for them -- they are young, yes, but illness and pain and infirmity are a part of life. A part of every day life that our culture glosses over far too often. If they don't get to see human suffering firsthand, they will not have a chance to grow in compassion and empathy.

I know I would never wish for my own pain again, if I had another life to choose, and I hate what I have missed out on with my own kids. But the truth is, they are both gentle and compassionate and way ahead of their ages in terms of their empathy for others (8 and 3). So there is something that they are gaining, in the midst of the anger and acting out. I think that I read somewhere that the problems don't happen with the illness or sickness and infirmity, but the way we show them how to get through it -- if we teach them to be compassionate and face their feelings (of anger, helplessness, fear), they will do that their whole lives when faced with similar circumstances. If we are hard on ourselves and try to hide our illness, or mask our pain or beat up on ourselves for something we can't control, well, we are teaching them to do that when they are older, too.

I am so sorry you are having this crisis and pain and stress. But I do think your children will be OK. Please be gentle with yourself. You will never recover, otherwise! And it is way to early in your recovery from this last surgery to know if you will end up having chronic pain -- yes it is possible -- but follow your doctors' guidelines about when the pain should be lessening.

About your DH: I think it is really important to know where he is at. If you feel signals coming from him about his stress in dealing with the situation, ask him for honesty. And if he is angry, be ready to accept his feelings, but don't take the blame for them. 'Kay?

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
In love and light,
Loretta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register