Adominal pain back after 3 pain free months.....any suggestions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adominal pain back after 3 pain free months.....any suggestions Adominal pain back after 3 pain free months.....any suggestions

Unread 03-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Adominal pain back after 3 pain free months.....any suggestions

I am four months post abdominal hyst, ovaries left intact. I had an unremarkable recovery and for the past three months can honestly say that I have never felt better. A couple of weeks ago I started to have a little "twinge" in my right lower abdomen. The past few days it has become a "sharp burning" pain that is worse when I am sitting or lying down. I had a pelvic ultrasound today with "normal ovaries". My doctor had commented that she had encounter and lysed a lot of adhesions from previous surgeries. So I am scheduled for a CT scan, to assess the adhesion damage. I never knew I had adhesions before the hysterectomy. So now I am wondering if anyone else thought that the worsed was behind them, enjoying life again, and then gets "hit in the abdomen",so to speak, with this. Let me know how you dealt with the burning pain and is there anything that can be done about it???
Thanks a Bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 08:11 AM

I am sorry you are having some discomfort. I am glad you and your doctor are trying to figure out what is going on.

I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago and have just recently begun to have some lower pelvic pain. I have had 2 vaginal ultrasounds which have detected some ovary problems. My doctor also suspects adhesions. I have been told that adhesions typically cannot be detected by ultrasound, CT, or MRI - the only way to positively detect them is by doing a lap procedure to view the inside of the abdomen. You may want to discuss this with your doctor further.

I hope that you figure what is causing your discomfort. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I will keep you in my .

s
Unread 03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
post operative pain

I am so bummed to admit but after six months (my seventh month anniversary is in 2 days) I am experiencing a lot of pain, to the point of considering pain killers. I was good, I am a gardener/come bit of a 'farmer' with lots of lifting and I stayed off work for 5 months. The first month was fine. Now it is not and I wonder if this is usual - you know the year thing. I have had 2 admoninal massages which were wonderfully painful but shifted a of junk and the pain went, and I am having more but I am wondering how common this is....if the year recovery is part of this. Any feedback welcomed, I am after the truth!

And, I feel for others like me who thought it was going great and then, wham. I do take comfort in feeling so much better in other ways though. But I do want to do my job pain free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 11:10 AM

hello Winterscastle,

I was doing seemingly ok too and at 9 weeks post-op the same type of pain(s) appeared (shooting down the left leg - pain is on the left side of the abdomen; SHARP BURNING PAIN YES!!!). I was running all around looking for the reason.

After blood tests and a cancer test (all negative) the conclusion is that I have adhesions (most likely many) being the surgery was so extensive.

I am now at ~16 weeks post-op and the pain that came on at week #9 is still there but not as intense.

However, I'm still afraid to lift anything very heavy and the pain is made worse by overextending myself physically and sometimes gives me a twinge or two after a bowel movement.

My doctor said the option is laproscopic surgery, but this surgery can create more adhesions. It sounds like a viscious cycle to me.

At least the pain isn't as bad.

I've had to take pain killers too. When the pain was at its worse I couldn't get in or out of bed or the car without letting out a scream it was so intense.

I decided to rest a lot. That was the best RX for it as now it is at least tolerable.

No one ever mentioned the word "ahesion" to me before and I never knew what it was but now I sure know!

Take care and try not to freak out.

SueF
Unread 03-12-2004, 04:16 AM
Adhesions

I have been having stomach massage done which helps a lot. this is abdominal stretching seems to help and keeping my bowels happy. I know a lot of it is down to me and being committed to stretching and gentle exercises, and eating right. I trust the woman giving me the massages, she has found no major adhesions and can massage them away, which is better than surgery. Also she tells me that during surgery there is this film like stuff (can't remember the name) which surround all the organs, very fine, sheath like but with blood vessles and often it is not stitched back but rather left to do its own repair work. This sheath adheres to all sort of bits, especially the bowel and can 'pull' everything downwards. She recommends lots of stretches and trying to 'open' out the belly rather than keeping it closed in, sitting, squatting (which I do loads of as a gardener). Anyone else have similiar experiences or ideas?

I find it frustrating because in so many ways I feel so much better but not in other ways!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register