Information on cervical cancer staging and treatment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Information on cervical cancer staging and treatment Information on cervical cancer staging and treatment

Unread 03-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Information on cervical cancer staging and treatment

From the UC Davis medical center:
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ucdhs/h...ionstages.html

There are more links on the bottom of the page that also pertain to cervical cancer.

Hugs,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 03:44 AM
helpful web-site but still confused

Hi Janie,
Thanks for the web-site. I'm still confused though. I know that I have glandular cervical. From the cone biopsy(Dec/03), they found it to be 2 mm in depth with microscopic vascular invasions. My gyn/onc said that there was a low, low, low chance it had spread since they'd found it early but they said I should have a radical hyst. to be sure. After the radical hyst.(Feb/04), they found nothing anywhere on my cervix, uterus, ovaries, tubes, or any of the tissue surrounding all of that BUT they did find two lymph nodes (out of six that they took) to have cancer although the pathology report described it as "microscopic and extremely limited". My gyn/onc told me that they were literally shocked because for it to be in my lymph nodes -- it should also have been found on the cervix, etc. but it wasn't. She described it as having "skipped" and said that although it wasn't something she had never seen, it was something that she had rarely seen. So what do I have and where do I fit with the web-site descriptions? Do you know what my prognosis would be? I am confused and scared....and I desperately want the prognosis to be in my favor.
Unread 03-09-2004, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info Janie. It's unfortunate that they don't include trachelectomies as an option for early-stage cancers, as I know that they do these surgeries at UC.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Connie,
I am confused about your diagnosis as well. If you had a cone biopsy, and they found cancer, 2mm, I am not sure why your doctor said it 'skipped'. Or are they now saying that really wasn't on your cervix? Am I reading that right? I did a quick google search for glandular cervical cancer and it looks like that is called adenocarcinoma, the kind that Chicklet has. Squamous cell cervical is the most common, 80% to 90%, adenocarcinoma is found in about 10% of cervical cancers. (Different websites have slightly different percentages.)

I don't know how they would stage your cancer if it really was only found in your glands. Doesn't it seem that it would had to have been in your cervix also? What did your doctor say your stage was? Usually cancers that are only found in one spot are stage 1, but I am NOT a doctor and don't even play one on television. Staging probably doesn't matter for you at this point because treatment would be the same if it was stage 1 or stage 2, chemo plus radiation. But it sure sounds to me that with tumors so very very small, you'd be up in that 90+% cure rate.

I am so sorry that you have all this confusion to deal with. It's bad enough when we get a straight diagnosis and treatment plan. When do you see your doctor again? I am surprised she didn't tell you your stage and your prognosis. When I was diagnosed by doctor wrote everything down along with a diagram of a woman's pelvis, showing me exactly where the cancer was. He wrote down stage, treatment, and prognosis including the percentage of patients alive after 5 years. It was totally overwhelming and since I did not expect a cancer diagnosis, because all the other doctors had assured me that it wasn't cancer, I was alone. Without that paper I would have been lost. I doubt I would have remembered a thing after he used the 'c' word. But I had that paper and must have looked at 100 times in the next few days, trying to make some sense of it. The next day after diagnosis I met with the rad/onc and she too gave me paperwork explaining what I had and what would happen during treatment. It still seems like I was walking through a dream. I began treatment within a week. I was diagnosed on Tuesday, saw the rad/onc on Wednesday, had the planning session on Friday and began treatment on Monday. I was on the radiation table when the biopsy came in confirming the diagnosis!

Make a list of all your questions for the doctor and write down her responses or make sure she writes down everything for you. She should not have left you hanging, not knowing your stage and your prognosis! If you don't have an appointment scheduled very soon, call and ask for a consultation appointment to go over everything with her. You should have some more concrete answers that what you have been given so far. Cancer is scary enough without all of this added uncertainity and unnecessary anxiety!

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 03-09-2004, 01:26 PM

Connie,

It sounds like you already have a copy of your pathology report from your hysterectomy. I would check the entire report carefully for staging information. Although I had endometrial cancer, not cervical cancer, my stage was listed at the end of the pathology report. I do have two different stages--one surgical and one clinical--so I would discuss your staging issue with your gynecologic oncologist. Actually, my gyn-onc only gave me his clinical staging after surgery (2B) endometrioid adenocarcinoma. The way I learned of my surgical stage (1C) was from reading a copy of the pathology report.

Take care.

MoeKay
Unread 03-09-2004, 01:41 PM
skip lesions

Hi Connie, Moekay, and Janie

Here's what I know about this situation. Cervix adenocarcinoma, or glandular cervical cancer, is sometimes thought be able to manifest itself in "skip" lesions. This means that the cancer doesn't spread in a continuous pathway, but may "skip" tissue and pop up in another part of the cervix or in the lymph nodes. This is an extremely rare phenomenon.

Glandular cancers are staged very similarly to the way that squamous cell lesions are. I don't know how one goes about staging a skip lesion though, as it hasn't "invaded" through the tissue, per se.

Connie, it sounds like you are in very good hands--your doctor checked very thoroughly and found something that may have been overlooked without such a careful doctor. Take good care of yourself and let us know how your treatment goes.

Beth
Unread 03-09-2004, 01:49 PM
thanks

Thanks for helping me out again!

At each step in this journey, the doctors have been great about drawing and explaining what is going on but in some ways I am in the dark. For now though, no one has been willing to discuss "prognosis" as they were waiting to see what my radical hyst. pathology said. Since I am 550 kms away from my gyn/onc., I didn't have a chance yet to have a face-to-face meeting with her (since the spread to the lymph nodes) to talk about staging and prognosis etc. When she called me to tell me it had spread, I was completely unprepared with any questions.

I don't have a copy of my pathologies but will certainly be asking for copies this Thursday when we meet the "team" out at the Cancer Clinic. I am armed with a list of 50+ questions to ask them too....

With the colposcopy, they identified that it was glandular cervical cancer (adenocarinoma)...."early stage", whatever that means.

With the cone biopsy, they confirmed it was adenocarcinoma (early stage), 2 mm in depth on the cervix and with microscopic vascular invasions.

With the radical hyst., they found no cancer anywhere except two lymph nodes. No trace on the cervix or anywhere else. Almost never happens I was told.

Perhaps I'm dealing with two un-related cancers? I'll definitely be asking.

In the meantime, thank you for trying to help me sort this out!
Unread 03-09-2004, 01:54 PM
ah hah!

Beth,
Looks like you hit the nail on the head for me! That is pretty well what they've told me....glad to see that someone has heard of it before....wish I knew what it will all mean for my prognosis.

You are absolutely right that I have an amazing doctor -- this might not have even been found if it hadn't been for them being extremely thorough and cautious.

Thanks for the hugs....I need them. Hugs right back at you!
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Giant back to you Connie!! Hang in there. I think it's going to be difficult to find information on prognosis because it is so rare that there is probably very little information. The good news is that all of your cancer from the cervix is gone, so they just need to get the stuff in the nodes now!

Because you are such a rare bird and there is little information on skip lesions, I vote that we decide here and now that your prognosis is excellent!! Take care,

Beth
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:31 PM

Now I am confused! I didn't think that it was rare for cancer to be found in or on the cervix and then also found in lymph glands. I thought that was fairly common.

It sounds like the cone removed the cancer from the cervix but it had already spread to the lymph glands. Could that be what happened?

Connie, I am so glad to hear that you will be able to get your answers on Thursday and that you won't have to wait any longer to know your diagnosis and prognosis.

By the way, how far in miles is 550 kms? Will you have to go there for radiation? Does that mean a 6 week stay in another city? I hope not.

Hugs,
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register