Ovarian Cancer Question/scare (long, sorry) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer Question/scare (long, sorry) Ovarian Cancer Question/scare (long, sorry)

Unread 03-09-2004, 03:19 AM
Ovarian Cancer Question/scare (long, sorry)

Hi,
I am getting a little nervous tonight. I had an ovarian mass removed 6 months ago. I had spent the better part of a whole year bloated, constipated, gaining weight,(despite a vigorous exercise program and diet I gained 28 pounds) and just feeling sick and miserable. I went to over 10 different Drs who all said I was a stressed out mom, what ever tests they did run all came back clear. Finally found a Dr who found that thing. The mass was supposedly benign, but I never found out what type it was, it was solid. Once the mass was removed, I felt awesome, lost 18 pounds in 5 weeks. Had great hopes to lost the last 10 easily and get over it all. Then I woke up one Sunday, about 6 or 7 weeks post op and felt miserable again. The weight loss stopped, the abdominal pain was back. Have a really nice GI Dr who ran tests for about everything you can, and finally a cat scan and all that showed was a new cyst appeared on the remaining ovary. So, went back to the gyn, he prescribed BCP for 3 months. Well, the 3 months are over and along with the pain, 16 pounds gained back, bloating and swelling, I now have not just one, but 2 tennis ball sized cysts on that ovary. He had mentioned before the US I had today, that IF there was still a cyst there, I would need a hyster. because that would be a very "abnornal" cyst. Do you think he meant cancerous by that? And now there are two! They grew so fast! I will see him tomorrow, but I wondered what some of you might think about this. One of those things that I'm thinking too much about, and it's making it worse. Glad I only have to wait til tomorrow!
Puppet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 05:55 AM

Puppet --

You need to get the pathology report from the first o peration and then go to a gyn oncologist. If there is any suspicion of ovarian cancer, please have a gyn onc do your surgery.

Dorrie
Unread 03-09-2004, 06:24 AM

Puppet,

So sorry that this problem has re-surfaced!

I agree with Dorrie--a gyn/onc is probably the best way to go.

Keep us informed of your progress!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 07:33 AM

s Puppet

Just to second Dorrie's excellent advice!
Whenever the slightest hint of ovarian cancer exists, it is soooo
important to have a gyn/oncology surgeon perform the surgery.
They are the experts.
Best wishes.

karenann
Unread 03-09-2004, 08:39 AM

i have a fast growing abnormal cyst that is now grapefruit size on my left ovary. i think knowing why it is not normal is important. mine has a wall in the middle which is enough for concern and a ca125. so far all tests are normal but im told no gaurantees until its removed. operation grapefruit in 2 days. ca125 relieved a lot of my concerns. hope it goes well.
Unread 03-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Definitely get first pathology

and then see a gynecologic oncologist about this new situation. You've had the US--have you had a CA125 and maybe also a CT scan? Those all put together form a picture that will be helpful to the Dr. Good luck!
Unread 03-09-2004, 10:02 AM

I am seeing my gyn today to schedule surgery on a complex mass on my ovarie. He said we are removing the ovarie and all. I know what you are going through, its tough. I had a CA 125, he said my numbers are in normal range but you just never know. He sounds very concerned. Its big, and I can sure feel it!
Good luck to you. Thankyou to the girls here, i am going to ask him about having a on/gyn there also.
I can say from experience that cysts come and go, the only way to really get rid of them is to remove the ovarie they grow on.
Shelbytoo
Unread 03-09-2004, 02:05 PM

Hi Puppet,

Everyone is correct in telling you to see a gyn/onc. He or she will serve you the very best. I had a huge tumor on my ovary, but at the time it was finally discovered it was thought to be a fibroid tumor. I saw a gyn/onc and it was decided he even thought it was a benign fibroid tumor. After surgery i found out otherwise. I had OVCA. I have done well...chemo trials...and my tumor while it had spread somewhat was a solid tumor...and all of the pathology on the lympth node spread said the same. So even if the worst is found out it is all very survivable. I have been in remission since Oct. My Ca-125 numbers have been very good...even before my chemo. You can always hope and expect that too. Good luck to you and much love and prayers.

Sally
Unread 03-09-2004, 03:24 PM

Hi Puppet,,

It has all been said and the results are in.....and an oncologist/gynocologist is the person you definately need to see as soon as possible.

Please keep us up to date.

Rosalie
Unread 03-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Hi Puppet

My CA 125 numbers were 691 with two large tumors on my ovaries. Came out of it with boarderline cancer of the ovary with no treatment necessary just monitoring every 4 months.
Don't let the numbers scare you. They just don't know for sure until surgery. (I had a gyn/onc).

Good Luck
Patty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register