Bacterial Vaginosis~really bad! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bacterial Vaginosis~really bad! Bacterial Vaginosis~really bad!

Unread 03-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Bacterial Vaginosis~really bad!

Hi all. I just saw the doc yesterday afternoon. I started to have some symptoms of a vaginal infection late Friday night/early saturday morning. I deceided to wait until yesterday to see the doc. Wish I had gone in right away!! I was put on Flagyl and told to use an anti itch cream on the outside of my vagina. I was also told no pantys until infection starts to show improvement. When I get an infection, it isnt a small thing. I have a huge amount of swelling down there, and lots of discharge. and the discharge is irritating tissue that is not infected. Even on the insides of my thighs!
So, how long does it usually take to see improvement in the infection?? I am so sore and irritated, it hurts to sit, it hurts to have my legs together. I am hoping that I can get back to normal life soon!!!

Oh, and my doc also said that I am pre menopausal?? I am only 33 and still have 1 ovary. Is it possible for that to start?? I am only 1 year post op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 08:01 AM

Hi ((Jennifer)),
I'm sorry to hear about your recent dx's I have no experience with the BV but I did find a link that contains some info on it's symptoms, causes, treatment & prevention:

Bacterial Vaginosis overview

Perhaps something in there can help you with your questions & concerns...
As for the Menopause, unfortunately, yes it is very possible for you to be experiencing it. When the Uterus is removed, sometimes the blood flow to the Ovaries is altered/damaged resulting in our Ovaries having diminished function or to shut down all together <sigh> The good news is that they will still continue to produce small amounts of those much needed Hormones Which, for some, can be easier to supplement for what is lost than to totally replace them!
I am 4 yrs Post-TAH in which I retained both Ovaries at the time opf my Hyst. Due to some complications from Adhesions, I lost my right Ovary at 12 weeks Post I underwent an emergency surgery for Bowel Obstructions about 7 weeks after the RSO. During one of my surgeries, the blood flow to my left Ovary was altered to the point of it being nonfunctioning. So I was anywhere from 3-5 months Post when mine occurred. Here are a couple links that I thot may be of some further insight to you on how/why this happens:

Ovarian Failure Following Hysterectomy

Premature Ovarian Failure

There is also some good info in our Resources forum:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?s=

Good Luck with everything I hope that infection clears up soon...Pls keep us posted on how things are going...(((hugs)))
Unread 03-09-2004, 08:06 AM
question about your diagnosis?

Not to be nosey but what test did he do or how did he come to the conclusion you are premenopausal? Are you having symptoms?

I too have only one ovary but I am 36 and feel like my ovary has shut down. My gyn told me to have a thyroid test which I have done and am waiting for the results....

BV is a nasty thing, I have had it 2 times and yes it is very uncomfortable. I noticed a big difference in a couple days, just make sure you take all the medicine that they prescribed and hope you don't get a yeast infection on top of that! I just got over one caused by meds and it was nasty!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 09:14 AM

Well, The doc said that the lining of the Vagina was thinned out and extremely dry. and also that the left ovary was really small, like it had shriveled up. I have to get some hormone tests done once this infection is cleared up.
I have found that when the itching is getting the best of me, a hot sitz bath really helps!!
As for the yeast, I have that too right now. But I have a chronic problem with that. It is responding to the meds. and I think that the BV is responding too. Still really sore, but not as swollen. THanks for the info!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register