One year post-op, back for more surgery (rectocele) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One year post-op, back for more surgery (rectocele) One year post-op, back for more surgery (rectocele)

Unread 03-22-2004, 02:51 PM
One year post-op, back for more surgery (rectocele)

Hello Ladies,
I had cystocele and rectocele repair done the same time I had TVH. I am only 24 and have had to have this procedure done so I dont see how he can say you wont have to have it done till your 50's, some people just have to have it done alot sooner. I also had 4 children, but only 3 pregnacies...had twins. All vaginal deliveries....so needed a good bit of repair work. I think last delivery is what damaged everything. But I can say it was all worth the damage. Also if you are having repairs get donut they have them at drug stores. Get the one that you can blow up. That one is more comfortable to sit on. I still use mine and Im 4 weeks post-op, its became my best friend.......lol.......Glory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 05:20 PM

Louise,
Did you have your rectocele and cystocele before your hyst? If so did it get progressivly worse, or just all of a sudden? My last couple of bm's have been quite difficult, and my vagina is sore afterwards from "helping' myself go. I am really worried I may have to have it repaired and I am just not ready for another surgery.
thanks
chele
Unread 03-23-2004, 05:38 AM

Hi chele,

I think I had the rectocele (undiagosed) but the cystocele came on suddenly last fall.

I had my pre-op yesterday and everything is a go for March 29th -- wish me luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2004, 08:20 AM

Many folks have asked me why my doctor didn't repair my 'celes with my TVH. Often they go hand in hand. My concern would be that hysts can make the prolapses worse and you'll be dealing with a lot more than you are now.
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:52 AM
rectocele

s giving birth. (my body sis this by it's self) the nurses kept yelling at me but nobody offered a solution until an angel of a nurse joan came on on saturday she taught me how to breath and stop the urge to bear down and everthing became easier, although the doctor is very concerned by all the bearing down and i'm seeing some stitches in the toilet paper and it's making me very nervous.also has anyone still has oosing from the insicion 6 days post op? can anyone tell me if there doctor told them there would be a lifetime maximum on the amount you can lift? he told me for 6 months i can't lift more then 5 pounds then after that i can gradually increase it a pound a month up to 35 lbs. i'm extremely upset over this since my profession requires me to lift 3x's my body weight all day long....... i' m feeling lonely, scared, in so much pain and depressed, i didn't feel this emotional after the first surgery. anyone slese out there been there and can show me the light at the end of the tunnel??????? abandoned
Unread 04-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Post Cystocele and Rectocele

Well, I had my surgery on March 29th and it's now April 1. All went well -- the doc did both cysto and recto on Monday. Pain afterward is nothing like the hysterectomy and really not a big deal. I'm off work for 2 weeks but don't see any reason why I won't be completely ready to return at that time.

Very little bloody discharge -- they gave me a Sitz bath to take home and I use that 3x a day. They offered Tylenol 3 but I declined -- have taken a few Extra Strength Tylenol but not many. Today I walked about a mile outside -- that was enuf but not really a problem.

Nothing to fear.
Unread 04-01-2004, 07:40 PM

Louise,
Thank you. My surgery is scheduled for April 21st and I've been dreading it. You made it sound so easy and has helped to ease my mind. I look forward to feeling "normal" again and getting rid of my backache.

A couple questions: Did you have to do a bowel prep before surgery? How long were you in the hospital? What restrictions do you have?

Thanks,

Trish

TAH/BSO with bladder repair
Unread 04-02-2004, 01:19 AM

Louise,
Congratulations and thanks for posting & lettling us know how it went. I'm hoping to be feeling well again after my cysto & rectocele repairs on April 26. You have certainly encouraged me!
Unread 04-02-2004, 08:25 AM

good to hear your feeling better, and it was so easy for you.... i guess i'm in that small percentage were if something could go wrong it will. i'm now 2 weeks post-op running a temp for a uti, my hemogoblin is 8 and feeling extremely fatigued and i still can't sit. the scar is still oozing but surprisingly that doesn't bother me. my knees buckle after walking only a few feet and i get very woozy.... the doctor says i'm being to hard on my self... he said he did 2 major surgeries and 4 procedures 10 days ago of course i should be feeling bad but i thought this would be easier the the tah in june. it's not. i guess i'm being a baby
lusiene
Unread 04-02-2004, 05:53 PM

lusienne, everyone is different and you obviously have to take it much more slowly than you would like. You have to listen to your body. I'm sorry that you have had so much trouble. Was your surgery cystocele and rectocele or did they do something else? I couldn't really tell from your post.

Trish,

I had no bowel prep. The surgery was at 11:30 and I was told no eating or drinking after midnight and no water after 5:30 am. I forgot to take my vitamins etc. and I normally take Metamucil every night --- I did take them at 12:30 although I should really not have. I did have a BM in the morning but if I hadn't, I would have done an enema anyway because I don't think it's a good idea to have a full bowel for this kind of surgery since it is so close to the bowel.

Post-, the instructions were to walk and perform activities as tolerated except nothing over 5 pounds to lift for 6 weeks and also no driving for 2 to 3 weeks. I will definitely drive before 2 weeks is up. Tomorrow, probably, but not far. Sitting up straight is painful, but reclining and lying flat are painfree. I am a church organist and have to be on a hard bench for Good Friday and Easter Sunday -- and I am not arranging a sub for me so even the pain of sitting up is bearable. I am not playing this Sunday.

I think one of the best things to do is the Sitz bath with salt. This keeps the wound clean, helps with comfort and decreases the chances of infection. I think I had 5 Sitz baths today!

The one thing I would highly recommend is starting on a stool softener right away. My first BM after surgery was terrible (worse than after the hysterectomy) and I even took Metamucil the evening of the second day. It happened on Wed. I think I should have started something the morning of the second day. They didn't tell me this in the hospital.

I had the surgery on Monday and was discharged at 8:30 Wednesday morning. I didn't see the need for the second night there but I guess it's for observation just in case.

Hope it goes well for you and for not sitting !! Post here afterward and let me know! and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register