endometrial hyperplasia with atypia anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial hyperplasia with atypia anyone? endometrial hyperplasia with atypia anyone?

Unread 03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
endometrial hyperplasia with atypia anyone?

I just got back from my dr. appt. 2 wks. after D&C. He said I have EH w/atypia. He explained that the cells were not right and I should have the ut. removed. He did say I could try some drugs first and then have another D&C in 3 months. I agreed to this. I was on provera for about 15 days before the D&C and then I was on premarin for the last 2 wks. He said the estrigen fuels the fire so to speak and to quit taking it. I was have athritis symtems with it anyway. I'm glad I don't have to take it anymore. I seem to recall getting headaches and not being able to sleep good at night when I was on provera. I hope this doesn't happen again. I also hope and pray that the bad cells will go away. Has anyone had the same thing and it went away? Thanks for any help. By the way I'm 51 and have 4 children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2004, 03:42 PM
much of the same for me

Puppy,
Yes, I have had the same diagnosis. I am currently taking Prometrium for the problem.

I was on Provera, but I just could no longer take the side effects. You may know of the mood swings and such. Mine were so disturbing and I felt out of control. I also never quit bleeding either..that's always a joy.

I like this new drug. My moods are more steady and I do not bleed as much. In fact, almost normal. The pain with my periods is still there, but that was with both drugs.

I am 35 and did not want a hyster right off the bat, so we are trying this drug therapy method. I have a few more weeks of this and I will be doing a second D&C, (3 mos. from the first), in April. For me, I figure it's worth a try.

I wish you luck. Feel free to send me a PM if you need to talk or vent.
Unread 03-10-2004, 03:51 PM

I took the provera for 6 or 7 days I HAD to stop I was a mess I hurt ALL over felt like I was hit by a truck & I became a raging Bi***H!
I freaked out at my hubbie for no good reason i mean I FLIPPED! cussing yelling drove off tires screaching like a mental case!
The pain has eased up for the most part but I still dont feel right & its been 5 days since I took it last, my thinking is off, hard to explain! but I just feel weird. The pharmacist told me I may feel "off" OFF is not a good word for it mental case fits better LOL

could also be the stress about surgery I am so scared I just cant get in a good mind set over this all.

ya know whats funny is I had bleed for 9 weeks non stop stopepd the day before my uterine biopsey and now have not bleed agaiN! I did spot after the BX but thats normal but none since!!! makes it hard to accept having a hyster but I know if I dont it will coem back full force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2004, 09:35 PM
thanks for the reply

I thought I did not need a hyst. and opted for the D&C and hystoscopy. I had only two long periods. One for 2 wks and one for a month or until the D&C. I had no idea I had the edo-hydro with atypia. When he told me that it really crushed me. I don't beleive in a hyst. unless absolutely nessesary. I would love to hear from someone who took the meds. and got the cure. Anyone? I haven't started taking the provera again and I am thinking about calling the doc. to see if I can change it to something else. Thanks again for the info. By the way the doc. didn't say (complex) endometrial hydroplasia with atypia so does that make a difference? He just say it was pre-cancerious cells.
Janie (puppy)
Unread 03-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Megace worked for me

I was diagnosed with well-differentiated adenocarcinoma almost two years ago and opted to try the hormone route and it worked. I'm now on Prometrium because the hyperplasia came back but without atypia. I don't know what the future holds but I'm definitely glad I didn't rush to have a hysterectomy. I took megace to get rid of the cancer and hopefully the Prometrium will hold it at bay. The Mirena IUD is also another option that I might try if the Prometrium doesn't work.
Unread 03-11-2004, 04:00 PM
more info please

Laura,
I am interested in this Mirena IUD. How is this different from the BC type of IUD? Or is there any? If my round of prometrium does not work, I would like to have another option...other than a hyster, I mean.

Please give more infor or a link. Thanks so much!!!
Unread 03-12-2004, 12:28 PM

Hi --

Just wanted to let you know the meds can work. I had a d&c in October to remove a polyp and they found that I had complex hyperplasia with atypia -- the most severe pre-cancerous stage of hyperplasia. Because I am still relatively young, we wanted to avoid a hysterectomy, so I took Megace (megestrol acetate -- synthetic progesterone) for three months and had another d&c two weeks ago. Just got the pathology report yesterday -- all normal tissue! So the megace worked for me, at least for now. I am now going to take a lesser dosage of Provera for two weeks every month to make sure it doesn't return.
The megace, by the way, had pretty awful side effects at first -- I wasn't sure if I could stand it. Constant nausea, headaches and horrible mood swings. But it got better after a few weeks, and by the end of my time on the drug, the only problem I had was that the thought of eating oily fish or nuts made me sick. A small price to pay. So hang in there.
Unread 03-12-2004, 01:42 PM

I talked to my Doc yesterday about alternitaves to a hyster. he spoke to me for over an hour going over everything

He said we can try the drug route tho the meds they give you made me sick as heck I cant even handle them!!! I went off on a mental rampage on my hubbie LOL he thought i had lost my mind also i hurt ALL over felt like I had been run over by a truck could not move without crying it was not good..
And he said the prob is that with other treatemnts becides surgery hyperplasia usually comes back,

and if they burn it off? not sure what he meant by that, anyway ...if they do that he said it can seal cancer cells inside and make it spread out from the uterus

And if they do a D/C thers a higher risk of hemeraging because of the fibroids & polups and then I am in for an emergency hyster
so after thinking of it very hard I am going with the hyster. I am terrified of the surgery but I feel its the best long term solution for myself.
What ever you decide please be well informed! if it is pre cancer cells and the treatments dont work you are in for a lot more treatment than the hyster. in the future! so As always its a very individual choice so long as we all know what we are in for!! and our options!
Unread 03-13-2004, 06:03 AM
Thank you for you reply to my post.

Tiffany, Thanks for your input. I have been told by friends that they could freeze the cells and be done with it. Now that you metioned it, it makes sense. The bad cells could come back unharmed by the meds. because they were protected in the frozen state. As far as the hyperplasia coming back that is a chance I would take. I am 51 and I don't plan on having anymore children, but if I can avoid a hyst. I will. Ofcouse if the 2nd D&C in June comes out the same I will go ahead and have the hyst. I was on provera for 15 days before my D&C and it gave me headaches and kept me awake at night. Also I was moody. So when the Doctor said I need to start taking that again I protested and asked to be put on prometruim. I hope that is better. I was taking premarin after the D&C for 2 wks. When the Doctor told me what I have he said to stop taking it. It would only fuel the fire. Estrigen makes the bad cells grow faster?
Janie (puppy)
Unread 03-13-2004, 06:51 AM

yes the high estrogin levels cause the endro. to over grow.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register