MRI Tuesday....(Another Cycle of Pain) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MRI Tuesday....(Another Cycle of Pain) MRI Tuesday....(Another Cycle of Pain)

Unread 03-12-2004, 03:44 PM
MRI Tuesday....(Another Cycle of Pain)

I woke up durring the at 1 am this morning with pain on my lower left side again. Tried to fall back to sleep, but at 3 am when I realized the pain was hear to stay, got up and took 1/2 pill of vicodine. Still no relief, just laid in bed until 5:30 when the alarm went off. DH was so kind & carring, he held me the hole time. Went to work until noon and asked to leave because I needed to go home and rest.

Came made my self some lunch & snuggled on the coach w/my dog. Took some more pain med to see if it would help & took a sort nap. Woke up w/pain in my lower back on the left side. The vicodine just seems to be numbing the pain not taking it a way completly.

I have been dealing with this pain for years now, and no relief. The pain almost seems to be getting more & more unbarable each month. Last month my Family doctor did a utra sound but not until I had been in pain for about 10 days & did not see anything. Called her back & she ordered a MRI, wanted it done now, but they can't get me in until Tuesday. Does not sound like they quit know what they are looking for just some awnsers for my pelvic pain.

I have a few questions hoping some one can help, sorry if some of them are stupid questions. DH & I are just so fustrated.... Any one know what and MRI w/contrast could show? What can they show that a Ultra sound cant show? (never had a MRI before) They did a CT in Oct but again the pain was done by the time the did it. Can MRI's show endo if the endo is back? What causes an ovary to have pain, my understanding is that an ovary just kind of floats, does it have nerve endings? DH is conserned that it may be stuck to something that is why I am in so much pain so low in the pelvic area, sometimes it hurts so bad to walk.

Also what would cause the pain to be some what on a cycle of about 21 to 26 days of almost pain free with a few days of pain, then pain for a solid 10 or so days? Endo, Cysts??

Don't know if this could have any effect on why I have so much pain & getting worse each month, but I took fertility drugs about a year ago and I was over medicated & my left ovary hyperstimulated to the size of a football. Could that of done permit damage?

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts... I am at my witts end, and like I have stated I have completely gave up on my GYN.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 04:25 PM

I'm sorry I won't be much help, just want to say your not alone. I also have this weird sharp pain on my left side, ct showed some cysts. Big ones, but negative. I'm waiting to hear from "new" Gyn what were going to do. Sometimes it is so overwhelming, it's like does anyone really know whats wrong with me? Most of us have more than one "thing" going on at a time. I just had a Bladder tack surgery on Monday. But I am having this pain on my left side. It seems a lot of us have it on the left side! What does this mean? I had a ruptured appendix last year and a tvh too so maybe it has something to do with that. Pain meds don't help my pain either, just dull it like you said. I have lots of low back pain on left side too.Anyway I hope they find out whats up with you ,we are all in this together. I am so thankful for this site, everyone here understands. Looking for answers
Unread 03-15-2004, 07:46 AM

Although I'm not in the same situation as you are, I do know that an MRI with contrast can show some things that an ultrasound cannot. An MRI can show things on the inside, an ultrasound just shows the outside. Not sure exactly what the contrast does but in my case it seemed to make the MRIs clearer. With an ultrasound, my initial diagnosis was fibroids, because my uterus looked like it had a lumpy area. With the MRI, the doctors could see on the inside, two slightly different layers of contrasting tissue in the uterus, swelled up on one side, no fibroid in sight - if I had asked for a myomectomy based on the ultrasound I would have gotten a surprise TAH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Left sided also

Hi! This left side is a mystery to me. It has hurt for years.But mostly before and during my period.I thought the hyst would cure it,boy was I wrong. I go tomorrow for colonoscopy and now am taking these huge pills.Hope i find outsomething. I have had several mris with and without contrast because of my scoliosis.They are not bad just loud.First time I went I ate sardines for the first time in my life and that just wasnt a smart thing to do. haha I pray we find some answers for this. My thoughts are with you.Judy
Unread 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM

Thank you all for the responce... Hopefully I will be getting some sort of awnsers this week in regards to this pain... I hate to say it but I pray they find something anything... I just don't want to deal with this pain anymore.

I was feeling crappy last night but was not taking my pain pills every 4-6 hours. DH yelled at me. Only had to take two today. I did call the doctor to let her know that my pain is a bit diffrent this month. That I can also feel some discomfort in my right side, and that my pain was making the turn for the better again this month. I wanted to see if they still wanted to do the MRI and she stated yes. If I have had any sort of pain in the last 3 days & took any sort of pain relief even tyonel that MRI is on.

Anyone know how long an MRI takes? I forgot to ask... Need to give my boss some sort of idea as to when I will be back. Also anyone know will my doctor receive my results yet tomorrow? My MRI is set for 9:45.

Part of me is so afraid the endo is back... The only time I have any pain on the right side was with endo... I know my left side has to be or at least I think it is dirrectly related to the ovary... My pain right know is just very acky & dull anoying pain. That makes me pretty uncomftorbale.

Judybo, good luck with your colonoscopy... That was one of the first test my family doctor ordered when I started complaing about this pain to her... She has put me through a colonoscopy, CT, lots of blood work, Ultra sound last month & know the MRI...

Silverbird... Hopefull this will help them see something anything... Just need an awnser. Thanks for explaining a bit more about the MRI.

Kim
Unread 03-15-2004, 06:33 PM

Dear ((Kim))

Best of luck for tomorrow's MRI!! I know exactly what you mean about "hoping they find SOMETHING"... that is how I felt about this last surgery I had... that the doctor would actually find something to explain why I still had pain (even though I totally understand the nervous system aspect of it... I think it just *feels* better when they actually SEE something.)

I have had two MRI's and I think each one lasted about 45 minutes.... some of the length depends on what the doctor requested as far as imaging. I was given headphones so I could hear the instructions and also listen to the radio to pass the time. Both times I have had the MRIs I never open my eyes once inside the machine... that is just my way of coping with the enclosed space.

It was several days before the results were to my doctor because a Radiologist needs to review the results and write up a report.

My experience with MRIs was that the endometriosis did not show up... or maybe it is a case where Radiologists don't know what to look for... I know my Adenomyosis showed up on the MRI but the Radiologist said there was nothing... later another Radiologist said I had the classic signs and that did indeed turn out to be the case... Diagnosing Adeno via MRI was relatively new when I had the MRIs.

Sarah
Unread 03-15-2004, 06:34 PM

Kim,
I'm sorry that your pain is getting worse. Whenever I've had an MRI the test itself lasted less than 15 minutes. How long you're there may depend on the wait time and how backed up they are.

Good luck! I hope you can find some answers.
Unread 03-15-2004, 06:52 PM

Sweety,
Sorry you are continuing with the left pain. So am I. Although mine is not cyclic in nature. It is constant, but not the same quality or intensity as your's seems to be. Good luck with the MRI. If you aren't having an open MRI, I suggest you let them sedate you before the procedure (which you will have to be early for) or let them place a wash cloth over you eyes. I am claustrophobic and I literally sang to myself in my head so I wouldn't freak out. The wash cloth keeps you from the temptation to open your eyes and see how closed in you are. We lefty's have to stick together.
Unread 03-16-2004, 05:05 AM

Thank you all... I will make sure that I keep my eyes closed... I don't like being in extream small spaces either... I don't think anyone does... I plan on arriving early so I will let them know that I'm not to keen on small spaces...

Sarah, you are so right on wanting to know what is going on. I have been dealing with this type of pain for years and to me it seems like it is getting worce or I am just not able to deal with the pain the way I use to.... So it is very important to me that the find out what it is... So far my preivouse GYN has gone from cysts to endo & back to cysts... But when my family doctor did an ultra sound last month she did not see any cysts... SO I really feel like I was just getting the run around from a doctor I had trusted when the pain came back so forst full after my LAVH...

I am so thank full my DH overall is very suportive. Don't like taking the pain meds, because I don't like the feeling of feeling foggy and not with it. Last friday someone made a rude commit to me at work about the hole ordeal. DH said don't let them get on you. They have no idea what kind of chronic pain you deal with.

I also would like to say thank you all for your support. I will keep you all updated!

Kim
Unread 03-16-2004, 09:37 AM

Kim, endo will not show up on any tests that I know of just like adhesions won't show up.

good luck keep us posted and prayers that you get some type of answer!!!

and I have a question for Catlau???

You and I have similar issues it seems as well. You just had a bladder tack, how is that healing and if you don't mind sharing your experience with me you could email or pm me. I have been having terrible bladder issues on top of my left sided pain and also had my appendix taken out last year (at the same time of hyst - had some rare type of appendicitis going on while I had the other issues, my appendix had already ruptured!!!!).

I just found a new uro/gyn at a medical university in Charlottesville Va but have to wait unfortunately until April 13th or if they get a cancellation. It is worth it to me to go to another city as I refuse to go back to the urologist center I went to prior to hyst (they were ready to schedule me for kidney stone removal) and I am too afraid of what they might want to do with me this time, plus I am very picky and will not see a male dr unless I absolutely have to. So its wait again and hope I don't go off the deep end with my issues until then. I am still running this low grade fever off and on and for the past several days my "ovary pain" as I call it is getting the best of me. I now only take pain meds when I can't bear it anymore, don't like the way they make me feel for one, doesn't really take away the pain and only makes it harder on the bowels where I have issues there too. I am a mess!!!!

Thanks to all of you here, I am not glad that others are going through the same thing, I wouldn't wish all of this on the enemy but it sure does help to be able to vent and communicate with others that know "its not just in our heads" as so many doctors try to tell us. Pain is pain, our brain does not generate pain!!!!

Hugs to all of you!!!!!!

jody

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register