Question About Precancerous Cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question About Precancerous Cells Question About Precancerous Cells

Unread 03-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Question About Precancerous Cells

Ladies:
I just had a TAH to remove precancerous cells in the uterus. The biopsies did not show any cancer so I won't need further treatment. Doctor removed my cervix but left my ovaries. I am so worried that I could have precancerous or cancerous cells in other places: breasts, ovaries, etc. I guess it's normal to worry but I am wondering if I need to have further testing. I am so scared. I am 38, married with one young child. Please let me know about your experiences. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2004, 07:07 PM

Hi Val,
From what I have read, once the uterus is removed, all the cancer is gone too and no need for further treatment. All the bad stuff is usually contained. In your case it was the pre-cancer.

I believe there is a blood test to check for cancer, seems like I have read some about that, but do not know what it is called.

If you are concerned, I would talk to your doc. about it and put those cancerhead fears to rest once and for all.

I am sure there will be someone else along soon that is better versed on this issue. In the mean time, hang in there, girl!
Unread 03-13-2004, 08:54 PM

It is possible they got all the t=possibilbies of cancer since it did not yet turn into cancer. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer dhsen I was 3 months pregnant. They did a radical hyst after delivery. /ten U i had radiation treatments. Yes there is a small chance the cancer can spread to other parts of the body. However, since your cells were contained in the uterus and they took out the uterus you should be fine. Just regular check ups. Cancerhead has a wayof rearing its head just to make us nervous and find fears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2004, 05:00 AM

Hi Val.

I'm not a doctor, but my impression is that precancer, and even cancer, in the uterus is often "cured" by removal of the uterus. If there were actual cancer in the uterus, they would probably have also taken cervix, tubes, ovaries, etc. just to be on the safe side.

The best thing is to speak to your doctor with all your questions prepared and if it makes you feel better, get a second opinion. Gynecological oncologists are the experts and perhaps you may want to find one of those.

But also remember that any cancer or even pre-cancer diagnosis tends to give us "cancerhead", and then we assume that every ache and pain is cancer...it's a normal reaction! I get it all the time and it's turned out to be sinus infections, pulled muscles and inflamed nerves, etc etc.

Others will no doubt come by with more info for you....take care, and continue to let us know how you are doing.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-14-2004, 01:38 PM

I think that especially after having cancer or precancer it is good to make precautionary changes in our lives.. like changes in our diets, better new habits, and maybe taking a few extra exams here and there.

I think it's nice to be able to relax and feel good about things, and to know that many people in a similar situation have had wonderful outcomes. At the same time, I dont think it's really best to go forward and never look back.

I'm a pretty optimistic person or I would never have dared my treatment.. having no surgery. I see the side that says, once cancer is gone it is gone. At the same time, I think.. was there an imbalance that caused the one problem and may not cause a different problem next? I also remember my mom who was deemed "cured", only to pass six months later. (She had an advanced problem).

Jmac, I believe that the test you are referring to is the AMAS test, and I am trying to gather the guts and insurance to try it though as you may know, some people think it is an incredibly accurate thing, while others will tell you it's total phooey.

Optimism is a beautiful thing, but in this environmentally everchanging world, I think it's good for all of us be at least a little cautiously vigilant.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register