just found this website | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just found this website just found this website

Unread 03-13-2004, 02:53 PM
just found this web site

Hi everyone

I just found you all. After sitting down and having a good cry. because of the relief of being able to realize that there are others like me who want to take their life, hormones, and libido into their own hands and try to get back to where we used to be. I might even settle for half way there.

I am thinking about changing doctors because I feel that mine lied to me when he told me that estradial patches do not cause cancer.

I am so afraid of getting breast cancer that I have stopped with the patches. I am going through a sea of symptoms that are almost unbearable. I am on the over the counter pogesterone cream but it is like nothing at all in controlling the hot flashes. When I was on the 1 ml vivelle dot I had libido but since going to the .05 it went away. I only used it for 2 months then stopped.

I read a book by Dr. John Lee (What your doctor dosn't tell you about menopause)who says that there needs to be a balance between the progestrone and estrogen.
Since being on the cream the idea that I might be getting alzhimers has disappeared. That is the only thing I noticed that was a positive. I have only used it for one month. maybe it takes longer to work than that. I like the idea of getting a blood test to see where my hormone levels are.

All of your experiences have given me hope and ideas of things that I can try.

Maybe if someone who is getting a complete hysterectomy like I did reads this they will have their hormone levels checked prior to the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2004, 07:32 PM
just found this website

Hi (((matcatameba))) and welcome... I'm glad you found us. I've moved your post over here into a new thread because I felt it was important for you to get the support you need.
  Quote:
I am thinking about changing doctors because I feel that mine lied to me when he told me that estradial patches do not cause cancer.

I am so afraid of getting breast cancer that I have stopped with the patches. I am going through a sea of symptoms that are almost unbearable. I am on the over the counter pogesterone cream but it is like nothing at all in controlling the hot flashes. When I was on the 1 ml vivelle dot I had libido but since going to the .05 it went away. I only used it for 2 months then stopped.
I think that if you don't feel comfortable with either your DR's knowledge about hormones and HRT's or the attitude he has when talking with you, then switching is appropriate. But I don't think he lied to you in telling you that estradiol patches don't cause cancer.... there is absolutely no evidence that they *cause* cancer. What they can do is fuel the growth of existing cancers.

I just had a lumpectomy for breast cancer... and I am on HRT (patches and creams). I'm in the process of working out a treatment plan for the next 5 years which may include Tamoxifen but which will almost certainly also involve some form of HRT... for me, the risks involved in going without HRT outweigh the risk of a recurrence, at least the way I see everything stacking up right now. That is just MY decision... other ladies may look at the risks and benefits in view of their personal and family histories and see them stacking up a different way.

You hit on a very important thing...
  Quote:
All of your experiences have given me hope and ideas of things that I can try.
That's what we're here for.... keep reading, and posting, and somehow we'll all get there together!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
just found this website

Hi and welcome to Hystersisters....and you are a fellow Coloradoan

I know it's difficult as we start this new journey after hysterectomy...and there is so much controversary out there about estrogen replacement. I have settled on using a low dose of bio-identical estradiol (Vivelle Dot) to help with my menopausal symptoms. I really am not that worried about breast cancer risks, as I know the amount of estrogen my body is being supplemented with now is much less than what my ovaries used to manufacture, and I do not have a family history of breast cancer. For me, it boils down to quality of life issue. I am miserable without a bit of estradiol replacement.

It is a very personal choice however, depending on family history, and especially your quality of life going without hormone replacement. If you do not feel comfortable with your current doctor, you can always seek out another who is up to date on HRT concerns.....and surely having your hormonal levels checked will give you a good idea as to what you may need.

Glad you found Hystersisters...keep reading and posting your questions and concerns.

z

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register