desperate for info!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

desperate for info!! desperate for info!!

Unread 03-13-2004, 09:05 PM
desperate for info!!

my doctor has told me that i need a hysterectomy. i am 35 years old and have had two c-sections. reason i am having are unstoppable periods and anemia. doctor thinks that it will be the best thing for my future health. been reading the message boards and now i am scared to death. everyone tells me that this will be the best thing that i have ever done. i know very little information about my hysterectomy except that i have a enlarged uterus. no other problems after lots of test. doctor informed me that they will be going in the same incision used during both c-sections and i know nothing else. anyone who has experienced this any information would be greatly appreciated. i am freaking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2004, 09:36 PM
desperate for info!!

Freak out for awhile, it is normal. Then have the surgery, and you will be so happy you did! I had an enlarged uterus, horrible periods and awful mood swings.
I am nine months post-op and I have not regretted it for one minute.
Keep reading this site, it saved my sanity. I had only ten days from the decision to the surgery, and the ladies here were angels from heaven.
Unread 03-13-2004, 11:19 PM
desperate for info!!

i had a SAH (everything removed except cervix) for the same reason your having your hysterectomy. I also had two c-sections. They went in thru the same incisions from the sections. Recovery is similiar to the section in regards to the abdominal incision but it feels different because of all the internal stitches. Are you keeping your cervix? I think my recovery was a little easier because I kept mine. If your interested ask your Dr. Its not that bad, honest. I had general anathsegia (know I spelled that wrong! lol). Pain management after is important, I had demarol shots, just like I had after the sections. Recover was a full 8 weeks for me. I then was able to go back to work and doing everything I did before. Its true what people tell you, at least it was for me. I feel soooo much better. Its really unbelieveable.

Good Luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2004, 11:24 PM
desperate for info!!

Hi Lynn! It's an out of control feeling, isn't it??

Seek a second opinion to help relieve some of those doubts.
Unread 03-14-2004, 08:57 PM
desperate for info!!

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!! While I'm awfully sorry that you may be facing surgery, I am glad that you found us and posted.

It's pretty normal to be feeling nervous and scared about surgery, and a hysterectomy is major surgery. Have you talked with your doctor about alternatives? Have you seen another doctor to confirm your doctor's diagnosis? If not, I'd like to encourage you to obtain at least one other opinion before making your decision. Yes, for most women, there are no complications, and surgery and recovery go well. But, as with any kind of surgery, there are no guarantees, and if you are one of the unfortunate ones (and I sincerely hope that you are not) to have a serious complication, then you will at least have the knowledge that you researched and tried everything else that was viable for you before making such a serious decision.

I hope that you'll continue to read, research and to post any questions you may have.

S
Unread 03-14-2004, 10:55 PM
desperate for info!!

Hi Lynn,

I feel for you(hugs) and want you to know I was just as freaked out as you are now. I has some stong days and some teary days.

For me the waiting was the worst. I had a TAH, kept ovaries on 02/27/04. At times, I don't feel like I had anything done. I did seek a second opinion and it put me at ease that the TAH was the right thing for me. I also did some research to help me understand the types of TAH that can be done.

You need to go into surgery with all of your questions answered so you have a positive attitude to help with healing yourself. My doc was great and answered three pages of questions I had after I did my research. If your doc won't answer questions, then find one that will.

Also, you are only 35 and need to know whether or not you will keep your ovaries. My doc wanted me to keep mine since I will need the hormones for another 13 to 15 years until menopause. There is a chance that they can fail, and if they do then we have a plan in my file to go onto the patch HRT.

Good Luck and God Bless!
Darlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register