Hair Going - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Hair Going

Dear Nancy,
For me the hair loss was pretty traumatic, but I did get over it. Just before I started chemo I had my shoulder length hair cut short, but even that didn't help when it started falling out, so I had my hairdresser shave my head. I chose not to wear a wig, just caps, but it was winter and not having hair was cold. I wore a little cap to bed at night that always managed to slip down over my eyes by morning. LOL!

My advice: take good care of your scalp. My hairdresser, who by the way is an angel, gave me weekly scalp massages. They were wonderful and made me feel so pampered. I washed it daily with a mild shampoo and then used a little leave in conditioner. I used Nioxin products which are formulated for thinning hair. They are bit pricey, but you just need a tiny bit, so a bottle lasts a long, long time. I am a big aromatherapy enthusiast, so I also massaged my scalp using jojoba oil with a few drops of rosemary or parsley essential oils. Smells heavenly, stimulates the hair follicles.

A couple of web sites to check out: www.chemochicks.com and www.headcovers.com.

However you choose to handle your hair loss, remember, it is a badge of courage. Wear it proudly.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Hair Going

I didn't think I wanted to wear a wig either, but after a month of tugging on my scarf, I relented. I got one the day before Valentines Day. It's short,I've always had long hair, It's reddish, I'm a brunette. It's relly been kind of fun. I don't wear it every day, it does get itchy. The lady at the wig shop told me to wash it once in awhile. mild soap. hang to dry. Mine is synthetic hair. I could never do much to my own hair so I didn't want to have to style a wig. I've had 3 chemos and now my eyelashes are getting pretty sparse. I carefully brush them out before I put mascara on. Can't afford too many to lump together! LOL
I hate not having nose hair anymore. My nose runs (Always at inopportune times) and sneezing.
I haven't shaved my head yet. I have a small amt of 2in long hair allover my head. More came out 2 weeks after my 3rd chemo. DR upped mine this last time. Hate that first week after. Good luck on your next one. My next one the 24th.
Unread 03-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Nancy,

Just wanted to let you know that I think you are doing so well with all of this. I never wore my wig or a cap - but it was summer and the warmth was nice. I liked my bald head. The eyelashes and eyebrows were the last to go - far along in my chemo. They came back in fast. I did wear eye makeup as long as I could. I loved not having to shave my legs and all! There is some freedom in all of this.

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and praying for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Hair Going

Dear Nancy,
My hair started coming out 3 weeks after my first chemo. It did not all come out but in patches. The rest of it became so dry and started to break so I shaved my head. For some unknown reason my hair started growing back after 4 chemo's I have had 2 more chemo's since and the hair on my head is now about 1/2 inch long. It came back in black and gray. normally my hair was medium brown with auburn highlights, natural ones!! LOL. My eyelashes and eyebrows started coming out last month. The rest of my hair - legs, armpits and everywhere else is still gone!! LOL. I love not having to shave my legs. I just wear baseball caps. Wigs are too itchy. I hope all goes well.
Bertha
Unread 03-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Hair Going

Dear tsalagi,

I know what you mean about hair falling out! It can be traumatic at first, then I just decided to go with the flow and found myself laughing even (once in a while!).

I had 3 cycles of chemo so far and my hair is very thick so it just started falling out after 2nd chemo, a few strands at a time at first. No clumps so very happy about that! I decided to get it cut at a barber shop just down the street. The barber I talked to had recovered from Stage III colon cancer via treatments from the VA hospital of all places. He did a beautiful job of cutting my hair 1.5 inches long all over so it wouldn't be so messy!

I eventually got tired of the itchy scalp and shaved the rest of my head myself at 4 AM one morning! Before that I went to the American Caner Society in Denver and found 2 great wigs. Some of them have never been worn. They are directly donated by shops that are clearing inventory. I have a somewhat strawberry blond wig with frosting and bangs. This fit me without any adjustments and have had many compliments. I was lucky because I spotted it while the ACS person was looking at auburn wigs. I used to frost my hair. I also have a little bit longer medium auburn wig that I'll need to get thinned and trimmed. Both were never worn before and they looked great! I also ordered 2 wig liners from ACS's tlc catalog. This kept my scalp so warm! It gets cold here in Colorado through April! It helped to stop the itching to shave my head and use the liners. I even throw a fleece cap over my wig when I get a little colder. I think the wigs are monofilament and look very realistic. They also shake right out after being covered by a hat!

It has made a big difference in how much better I feel having "hair" again. Now I'm glad I shaved my head because no more using masking tape to clean out my sleep cap that I bought through tlc. By the way, I noticed that the ACS's tlc caps when bought at the right size fit snuggly all night long. I love mine!

I also pamper my scalp with Eucerin or Curel lotion. No itchies and I'm happier although shaving my head by myself that morning was a challenge!

Hope some of my experience sheds (sorry for the pun!) some insight into what you can do to deal with hair loss.

I went to the Look Good .... Feel Better seminar and really the only thing the volunter showed us is about lining the eyes was to stay close to the base of where the eyelashes would be (this is really close to the eye itself) and to use a softer color (I use soft brown) and draw liner (a small line) from one end of the eye to the other on upper and lower. If you smudge a little bit that helps too. Be careful of bacterial infections though! On chemo our immune systems aren't quite up to par. On the eyebrows she showed us how to feather them (NOT draw a straight line!) and use a pencil to figure out the shape of the brow relative to the eye. If you have'nt lost all your eyebrows yet then getting a picture of yourself will help greatly.

I also brought in pictures of what my hair used to look like when I went to pick out wigs. It seemed to help the ACS volunteer immensely!

Hope my suggestions help!

Tenacity
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Early Stage IV small cell uterine cancer. Just completing 3rd chemo cycle with Carboplatin and VP16. Staged and complete hysterectomy on 1/19/04. Got OK from Doctor to start running so I'm mixing a little at a time with mostly walking. Avid runner so I'm phasing it back into my life gently!
Unread 04-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Hair Loss

Hello, hugs to all of you nice ladies. I am 7 months post op from a LAVH and was looking for hair loss on the hyster sisters site and came upon this thread. I would just like to say how much the thread helped me. Here I am boo hooing about my long hair breaking off due to LAVH; worrying about it being 3 inches long, and you ladies are really going through something I can't imagine. My hats off to you!! This site is just wonderful, what a great support for women.
Thank You so much and I will pray for all of you
Dorene
Unread 04-03-2004, 12:59 AM
For Tsalagi

Next week I am having my second chemo treatment. Yesterday, my 14th day since the first one my hair started coming out in my brush. Shaking my head causes more hair to fall out. The back top of my head has been sore. Is that normal? I wore my wig today. Ouch! My first chemo went really well. Will the next ones be the same or worse? Does anyone know? LilyLulu

Stage 2C Fallopian cancer, metatisized sp? to cervix and uterus. Microscopic cells in the pelvis. Taxol & Carbol-------
Unread 04-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Hair Going

LilyLulu, that's exactly what mine did on the 16th day after first chemo.
The soreness, and how it began to come out.
I messed with it about a week and then had Hubby clipper it down to about one inch all over. Made it much easier to deal with.

I still haven't lost it all and I go for my third chemo next week. But you can see mostly scalp. Reminds me of a new baby losing its' 'baby hair'
nancy j
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Hair Going

LilyLulu- For myself the first chemo was the worst. I was surprised by the scalp pain. Little did I know at the time it was a precursor to hair fall-out. The back of my neck hurts to the touch now a couple days after chemo. It's probably the bones. I wonder if it's because of the marrow?
I went to a cancer survivor walk yesterday with my girls (3 & 6) and there was a lady with short curly black hair. I told them that mommy's hair will look like that. (Someday) It's funny, when I am around people I really notice their hair. Is that weird or what? It's probably like when I quit smoking I noticed everyone who was smoking a cig.
Unread 04-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Legs

I was just reading back over some of the messages and you all are so great. Such great advice and ideas.

Now, is this unfair or what?
I am going to have to shave my legs today!!! Yes! It's still growing there!!!!!

I was just a little bit insulted by this. No hair on my head, well, not much anyway.....but those blasted leg hairs just keep on growing!!

nancy j

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register