Hair Going - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Hair Going

I found this thread by searching "hair loss" on the site as I have found that since my surgery in January 2004 I have lost a lot of hair! I just wanted to say that I am absolutely humbled by you ladies who are going through chemo with such grace and humor and strength. God bless you all and I admire you more than I can say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2004, 04:01 PM
hair going

Hi,

I had my first chemo treatment on 6/22. Today is 2 weeks later, and when I shake my head, my hair falls out. Kinda fun for a few minutes, wondering how much comes out in one shake..til I realized I better preserve what I have! <>G<>

So, I wonder how to make this a slow process. If I wear a kerchief over my head, for instance, will that help keep my hair?
If I dont touch my hair, or wash it as much, will that help?

Any ideas of how to manage this? I was soo hoping I'd be one of the few that dont' lose hair, but it looks like that's not going to happen. maybe I'll just be a "thinner', like some of you.

I go for a wig fitting on Friday, it was a back up idea and looks like it might have been a good one.

Any suggestions on making this easier to deal with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
<~~~ bald me???
Unread 07-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Hair Falling out

I just finished my chemotherapy with the same drugs they are giving you. Two weeks after my first treatment my hair started coming out too. I was told that the Taxol is the drug that causes the hair to fall out. Some chemotherapy drugs do not cause this. I think baldness is a small price to pay for life. I know it isn't pleasant and I hate it.

Waiting for my hair to come back and not the cancer,

LilyLulu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2004, 09:41 AM
It will feel like forever...

..but it does come back.
My last chemo was May 19. I actually didn't start counting the days until 4 weeks after that date. (Your body doesn't know if it's going to get zapped again.) It was about 2 weeks after that, that I noticed my hair was growing faster than it did when it grew when I was getting chemo.
My eyebrows are coming in, eyelashes too. I can use mascara now!! But it looks silly cause they're short and it comes off on my eyelids. I'm hoping to go topless! No scarf or wig come Aug 17.
My hair is longer than the shortest crew-cut but still too thin to me. Why do the white ones come in all screwy and they are longer than the dark ones. At first i noticed an awful lot of white ones, that was scary. The dark ones are the majority now, thank goodness.
Good luck to you all just starting chemo!! That woman you see in the mirror is just a vessel. You will be made stronger and you will be a winner regardless.

Love to you all,
Laura
Unread 07-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Hair Going

Unfortunately hair loss with taxol is almost guaranteed.
Don't fight it, you will just upset yourself.
When my hair started to free fall at abut day 16, I shaved my head. I couldn't stand to watch it go clump by clump. My action made me feel more in control of the situation.
Your eye brows and lashes take longer to leave, but will return very quickly.
I had a human hair wig all set to go, but wore it only once.
I was a hat/cap person.
You will get through this time!!

karenann
Unread 07-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Hair Going

Thanks guys,

I'm actually "OK" w/the hair loss issue. I've been prepared for it, but still it's kind of ...shocking?..no, that's not it...kind of a slap of reality?...maybe...when it actually does happen to you.

I've had a wig-fitting appt set up for weeks, it is for tomarrow..err, today, actually.....and I"m glad I will be ready w/a wig should I decide to wear one. I'm actually thinking I too will end up being a hat/scarf person but since I deal with little kids all the time I was thinking a wig would be easier on them! <G>
I guess I'll just have to play it by ear and see how it goes. I picked up a bucket hat today in Target that was just too small; it didnt' have enough coverage. oh well. I have tons of baseball caps and stuff so I"m sure I"ll manage.

Does anyone know how long it takes to lose your hair, going from shaking and falling strands and running your fingers thru your hair and pulling out several strands at a time? What's the next step in the progression????

Laura, I love your encouraging words: "
That woman you see in the mirror is just a vessel. You will be made stronger and you will be a winner regardless." Thank you so much!

I feel like a shedding !<G>
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Hair Going

Exactly two weeks after my first chemo treatment (6/2) my hair started falling out in clumps rapidly. A friend suggested I try having it cut short but I had it all taken off. Now it seems like getting it cut short might have worked for me, since I still seem to have some, but it probably would have been messy.

I thought I would be a hat and scarf girl but, very unexpectedly, my wig (synthetic) has turned out to be a big success. I like to joke that I look better than I have in years. (True!) Last week a man on the street asked where I got my hair done.

The wig was a lot more comfortable after I washed it for the first time. Wearing an unwashed wig is like sleeping on unwashed sheets. Baby Shampoo worked really well and I just let it dry on the stand. I ordered a few products from TLC (lustre, conditioner, styling stuff) but they haven't arrived yet - delivery takes TWO weeks!!!

Good luck with your wig. I hope it works out really well for you.
Unread 07-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Hair Going

It took about a week for my hair to fall out so bad I had to wear a scarf. i wear a bandana, even now. My wig was great when it was cold outside, but now it would be unbearable. I was sweating like the proverbial pig. It gets hot and humid here in Ohio.
I volunteered in my daughter's elementary class and I'd alternate between my wig and the bandanna. Only 1 asked me anything about it.
For anybody's reference in the future, it has been (almost8 wks) since my last chemo and I have my eyelashes back(somewhat, but you can see them!) All the body fuzz is back. My moustache, I hate!!! I'll probably have to shave my legs before my surgery on Tues. Who knows how long it will be when I can shave them again. I'll have a mid-line inc.
Good luck and when it gets tough remember you are loved!

Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register