TAH/BSO - My Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - My Story TAH/BSO - My Story

Thread Tools
Unread 03-15-2004, 11:01 AM
My story (kind of long)

My journey really wasn't that long......in November 2003 I became ill which I thought was the stomach flu. This involved pain in my lower abdomen, vomiting, cold sweats and pain when urinating. In the middle of this episode Aunt Flo visited and after another day or so the pain and symptoms went away. After this happened 3 months in a row this princess figured out that I should see her doctor as something was wrong. After an exam, many tests, ultrasounds and a CT scan this princess was told that she had a cyst on each ovary that was the size of an orange which was most likely caused from excessive endometriosis. The doctor felt a hysterectomy was the best option and after much research, thoughts and prayers, this princess agreed.

On 2/2504 my DH and myself took the children to school, said our goodbyes, hugs and kisses with many tears in my eyes and headed to the castle. We arrived 15 minutes early at 9:45 a.m., checked in and were immediately taken to the floor I would be staying on. A nurse came and took me and DH to the room I would be staying in after the surgery and had us settle in while she went over the doctor's orders. I had a room mate who was recovering from surgery so DH and myself were trying to be as quiet as possible. The nurse returned about an hour later to have me model my lovely gown and to insert my IV. This made my arm a little sore, but nothing bad. Then my DH and I just sat and visited and watched TV. My nerves had kicked into overdrive, but I was trying to pretend to be calm. The nurse had informed us that the OR was a little behind so I would go in at 12:30 p.m. instead of noon. The OR transporter came to get me and had me get on the gurney. I was afraid they wouldn't let my DH come with me and I started to panic, but was told he would be in pre-op with me until I went to surgery....what a relief (I love this man with my whole being). I was given warm blankets and off to pre-op. My doctor was waiting for me when I arrived and the tears started. I just couldn't make them stop. I have never been so afraid in my whole life. My doctor assured me again and again that he wouldn't let anything happen to me (I adore my doctor) and he would see me in the OR. The Anesthesiologist then came to talk to me tell me the procedure and let me ask questions (tears still falling). The Anesthesiologist also assured me that he would take good care of me. After about 15 more minutes and 20 or so tissues they came to get me. I had to say goodbye to my DH which is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He was so sweet and reassuring. I was rolled into the OR, given another heated blanket and then scootched onto the operating table. My doctor was there and started telling me what was going on and that the Anesthesiologist would be hooking me up to monitors and they would put leg compressors on, as the tears continued to flow.....after a few minutes of getting everything hooked up the Anesthesiologist told me I would feel a slight burning in my IV and then I would feel sleepy. In the meantime, my doctor kept his hand on my shoulder to try and comfort me (did I tell you I adore this man?). Well, I never felt any burning and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room and my doctor was trying to wake me up.

The first thing I said was I had to pee and the doctor told me that I had a catheter and I was feeling that. I dozed back off and woke up again when the nurse was checking my vitals and I said Ow!! She said okay honey, push this button. I was in and out while in recovery and after about an hour I was wheeled back to my room. My husband met us in the hall outside of the operating room.....it was wonderful to see him again. I was wheeled to my room and maneuvered back into my bed. The first few hours I was really out of it. I kept pressing the button and everytime I did I fell asleep. Then a bit of nasuea hit and I was given some meds to help, but it really didn't. Then my doctor came to check on me I told him my tummy was really upset and he went to get a nurse and they gave me something else and it made my tummy feel wonderful. I used the morphine until midnight and then never pushed the button again. I was getting toradol, anti-gas and antibiotics in my IV and the toradol was enough pain control. My DH was with me the whole time and my best friend and children game to visit. I don't remember too much though. That night the nurses brought me water and popsicles which tasted wonderful.

The next morning they took out my catheter and I had some clear broth and when my DH came he helped me get up and I started walking. Getting up from laying to sitting was the most difficult and my stomach felt so strange the first time I stood up. I was afraid to stand up straight since my stomach had no support at all! So that day after surgery I ate liquids, drank lots of water, walked, went pee, and passed gas. I also had to breathe into this plastic contraption that measured my breath. They told me this was done to make sure I didn't get pneumonia.

The next morning I took a shower, put my clothes on and waited for my DH since my doctor was releasing me. It felt wonderful to step outside the hospital and breath some fresh air and to know that the worst part was behind me.

Now that I look back, I can't believe I was so afraid. It was nothing like I thought it was going to be. My doctor was wonderful. I had wonderful nurses and CNA's and my whole castle adventure was a positive adventure. My day nurse had had a hysterectomy in April and so she was very informative and answered all the questions I asked. I have no regrets and I am 2-1/2 weeks post op and feel amazing. My surgery was 2 hours long since I had so much endometriosis. My doctor told me the cysts had grown and I had endometriosis on all of my organs that he had to remove. He said he was amazed that I hadn't had more pain then I did.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and I wish you the best.

TAH/BSO - 2/25/04
Sponsored Links

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories


Hysterectomy News

October 23,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!