Once hyperplasia gone, what then? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Once hyperplasia gone, what then? Once hyperplasia gone, what then?

Unread 03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Once hyperplasia gone, what then?

Hi All,
I just realized something! I have been concentrating so hard on getting rid of this complex hyperplasia with atypia, that I don't know what will come after.

I have 8 more days of Prometrium. A dr. appt. on the 25th. (No doubt to schedule a second D&C to see if the hormomes did their job.) That second procedure will not be until April.

But my question is, if it is gone what then? How do I keep it gone? BC till menopause? How do I know it will stay gone on those meds? For me, the only way I knew I had this was to have a D&C. The biopsy showed nothing.

Please let me know your experience and what you all have had to do to keep something like this at bay. I guess I have lots of questions for the doc come next week, huh? I am starting my list now!!

Thanks for the help and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 06:46 PM

Joyce,

I'm sure that your dr will be able to answer your questions--just be sure to write them all down! It's so easy to get "brain fog" when you're at the dr's office.

Perhaps some other hystersisters will be able to share their experience with you, too.

Let us know how your appointment goes!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-15-2004, 07:23 PM

Hi Jmac35,
I don't have an answer that will give you a guarantee. I really hope that this will work for you long term. I underwent total hyst due to endometrial cancer. I was stressed a lot due to various reasons prior to being diagnosed. So if you had excess stress before developing the hyperplasia, try to destress yourself everyday by setting sometime for yourself by doing something that you enjoy. It will help atleast to some extent by doing this. And remeber, worrying doesn't help. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Post cancer almost a year now

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer almost 2 years ago and after taking Megace for about 6 months, it was completely gone. But after 4 months on nothing I experienced intermenstral bleeding. Another D&C showed that non-atypical hyperplasia had returned. My doctor put me on Prometrium and I just had a biopsy and ultrasound yesterday. I'm not sure how long I'll have to stay on the Prometrium but if it does the job, I'll continue to take it since I have no side effects from it.

I have asked the doctor what caused the hyperplasia to come back but he can only say too much estrogen. As to why my body is getting too much estrogen, who knows. I was an avid coffee drinker and stopped cold about 1 month ago. I've also made major dietery changes and take supplements but I've been doing that for the last 1.5 years. The only thing left is to give up drinking alcohol but I'll sure miss my couple of glasses of wine in the evening. I have two teenage girls and they can really make you crazy sometimes.

I guess I'll just take it one day at a time. I'd be interested to know how your journey turns out. Be sure to make those 3 month doctor visits a priority. I though I was through when the lab report came back clean but it looks like I've only just begun.
Unread 03-18-2004, 07:22 PM

I had a TAH/BSO in June of 2000 for the same diagnosis: "Complex Atypical Endometrial Hyperplasia." I was 51 1/2 at the time. I was told by my doctor that it is unknown how long it takes for this diagnosis to turn to uterine cancer. Since I was past childbearing years, a hysterectomy was recommended. I did have uterine cancer, but fortunately it was very early stage (IB) and no further treatment was necessary. I was told by a nurse friend a long time ago that if you have to get cancer, this is the one to get because if in early stages, it is removed with surgery only. I am ok almost four years later, but see my doctor every six months.
The only advice I can give you is to listen to your body, ask your doctor questions and, if he/she recommends surgery, don't put it off. I was diagnosed with hyperplasia in April 2000, had the surgery in June. I was considering waiting until the summer was over, but am glad I did not wait.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register