How long will I wait? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long will I wait? How long will I wait?

Unread 03-15-2004, 10:38 PM
How long will I wait?

OK lets take some bets here (friendly of course). How long will it take to get an appointment with my uro-gyn ( or her partner)? March..... June.... or not until Oct?????

Here is the story. (and I am trying to be upbeat about it, so I will stop crying). Last June I had major work done, (you can see from my signature). Things went well until Nov, when I sat up in bed quickly and felt a ripping. It turns out, the rectocele repair ripped. Now I have a very large rectocele, which is giving me more and more problems as time goes on. Saw my uro gyn on Dec 1 and she said it needs to get fixed. But I don't have any more sick leave, so we are trying to hold off so I can bank some time.

But here is the problem, my doctor is pregnant. Baby due in May, she it taking until fall off. So we schedule another appointment for April and I am hoping for surgery as soon as she gets back.

But, here is where things go strange.....

First, I am having more and more symptoms, my back aches constantly, it's hard to have a BM. sex is painful.... so after Christmas, I call for an appontment to see the uro-gyn, and hopefully I can have surgery before she off on maternity leave. But doctor's on bed rest, so they book me in to see her partner, but have 2 month wait for appointment (March 10). Next month, I get a call, they have to change that appointment as doctor's going to be out of town, but my doctor is now back part-time, so they book me in to see her March 15th. Last week they called to say they would have to change the time of the appointment. This morning they called me at 7am to say that doctor's sick. She will be off for Maternity leave in two weeks and won't be back until Oct..... They didn't have any instructions for booking me another appointment. So I am left high and dry.....

So I am trying to keep positive about this, but its just not working. I just want to cry. I am so depressed about this. These are the only two uro-gyn in this city of 700,000. and I can't get into see either of them (and I am a patient in their clinic). My regular GP is off on maternerity leave and not due to come back until May. I don't like her replacement much. Doesn'
t look that I have many options but to sit and wait.....

Levanah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Re: How long will I wait?

Wow...that is horrible. You poor thing. There is no other doctor you can go to? I wish I had some good advice or an answer to your problem. Hopefully, there is someone smarter than I out there to help you on your way. Just know I am praying for you. Keep us updated! What would happen if you went to the ER for the pain? Sometimes that route is what it takes to get something done.
Unread 03-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Heard from the Doctor's office today

They gave me another appointment for March 24 @ 2:15pm. Wonder if this appointment will actually happen?

Levanah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2004, 10:55 AM
How long will I wait?

Hi Levanah

I hope your appt. on the 24th is a go. They would sure have some nerve if they cancelled on you again. I hope they have some good news for you then. In the meantime, big 's to you.

Shelley
Unread 03-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Re: Heard from the Doctor's office today

Hope your appointment goes..and goes well!
Unread 03-16-2004, 06:29 PM
How long will I wait?

Oh (((Levanah))) I can't believe the run-around you've been having This type of thing just sends me up the curtains!!!

Hopefully, this time, will be the right time and you'll get to see this uro/gyn. Lots of ers are going your way. And feel free to come here and vent anytime you feel the urge to do so.

Unread 03-17-2004, 11:15 AM
How long will I wait?

Dear Levanah,

Oh my. I can totally relate to your pain. It took me almost a year to get my rectocele diagnosed. (That was a long agonizing year.) When it was diagnosed, by a very well known doctor who is an expert in the field, he wanted to do corrective surgery on me right away.

However, since I was now terrified of more surgery after my horrible experience with the TAH/BSO I didn't sign up right away. Instead I learned about my rectocele and what was causing the pain.

For me, (everyone is different) the main pain in my back was because the rectocele pushed both into my vagina and back into the base of my spine. I discovered that if I keep my stool soft and eat smaller portions throughout the day instead of big meals, the stool will pass through more easily, thus relieving most of the pain.

Then, I found my wonderful endocrinologist who explained how estrogen would help me to rejuvenate my vagina, thereby helping to build up the wall between the rectum and vagina, which in turns helps to hold the rectocele back. What a difference that made!

Other things that help are: not sitting too long (because that makes the stool compact and elimination more difficult).
Eating lots of fiber, of course. Oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast will help (also helps cholesterol). Drink plenty of water. Go to the restroom when the urge for a bm first presents itself (delaying or waiting compacts the stool into the rectocele).

With the methods above, I have successfully managed my rectocele. My second medical opinion on the surgery was to not do the surgery at this point. (Finally, an opinion I agree with!)

Your situation may be completely different but if you have not already tried these methods, you might want to give them a shot while you are waiting to get in to the doctors.

I hope this helps.
Unread 03-17-2004, 11:34 AM
How long will I wait?

I am glad the doctor's office called you back with a new appointment time. whew...

I hope the appointment goes well...make sure you have your list of questions/concerns well thought out (maybe typed up) since this is a new doctor...

Best wishes!!

Sarah
Unread 03-18-2004, 01:04 PM
How long will I wait?

Oh my word. My mouth is still hanging open in horror from reading your post. That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. How can doctors operate like that? I am so sorry you're being put through this on top of the pain and suffering from your rectocele. I hope the appointment on the 24th comes to fruition.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Not sure what to expect

from this appointment since it will happen til two weeks before the doctor goes off on her maternity leave. I am sure she is not doing any surgery this late in her pregnacy. So what can be done? I really like this doctor, and want to wish her the best for her pregnacy and delivery.

Levanah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register