Pain in hip and knees | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in hip and knees Pain in hip and knees

Unread 03-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Hi Road Dwellers.... I'd been doing fairly good for so long, I'd (almost) forgotten what it was like to be in (almost) constant pain. However, for the past few weeks, I've had a very painful reminder of what that can be like.

The pain in my hip is soooo strange: it's right at the joint, at the top right side of the hip and only occurs some times. When it does, it almost floors me and, somedays, prevents me from moving. What's strange is that it won't throb or "remain" or spread: it's there, very intense, then it's gone. And it's unpredictable.

My doctor thinks that it is cause by a problem with the sacroiliac joint. Some of the things I've been reading on this point to a link between that and arthritis. So I'm starting to think that, once again, it is my funky immune system giving me a hard time.

The pain in my knee does point to an arthritic pain: the joints feel swollen and stiff, especially after being at rest.

My problem is that I've started working out at a PACE outlet, and I love it. However, the last few times I've been there, including today, have resulted in increased pain... I know that it's a vicious circle: I need to exercise in order to ease the arthritis... but exercising during a flare up will make it all worse.

I'm not a happy place right now... and I hate it!!!

Sorry for venting, but just need to know if others are dealing with this particular problem and how they're balancing pain management with leading a normal life... or is it too much to ask for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2004, 08:38 PM
arthritis pain

Sorry to hear of your pain. It just sounds so much like what I experienced. I saw an orthopedic for my right knee pain and hip pain. I was given anti inflammatory medicine. My right knee hurt so bad and could hardly bend it at times. Wore a brace for knee support. Did MRI and had fluid in my hip. I was trying alow dose Vivelle patch at the time.

I went back to getting estrogen/testosterone injections or implants and the arthritic pain just disappeared. I think this all occured because I had low esrogen/testosteroe levels. You didn't say if you were taking anything, but maybe this would help.

I also did a bone density test during my low level estrogen time and it showed my left hip had some bone density loss.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!
Unread 03-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Thanks for your reply (((Delila))) I'm so happy that switching the hormone therapy helped with your pain

In my case, I still have both ovaries and they're working. I had a hormone and thyroid work up last year... and will ask for another one when I go for my annual... and, at that time, my estrogen levels were actually on the high side, and could not explain the arthritic pain.

In my case, wearing a brace does help my knees... but I have yet to find something that will help with my hip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Dear ((Dany))

I am sorry to hear about your knee and hip pain. I used to have alot of knee pain so I can relate a little... the weird thing that happened was that my knee pain AND the tenosynovitis I had both resolved when I was successfully pregnant for the first time. I don't know if it was the hormones or the increased blood flow... That was 12 years ago and I have been careful to avoid both problems by stopping any activity when it starts to aggravate wither area....

I don't have any useful suggestions for you... I'm just sorry you have to deal with this issue

I hope you find an answer.

Sarah
Unread 03-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Sacroiallac joint pain

Dany,
I to suffer from sij pain... It took me four years to find a dr to finally figure out what was wrong with my back. I went to several and complaned about my right hip/back area hurting all the way down to my foot at times. They would alway tell me it was the sciatic nerve and send me home with a muscle relaxer. Well , I started seeing a sports medicine dr. and he has been a life saver. He did some tests and has dx's me with SIJ dysfunction. I know recieve steriod cortisone injections that help tremedously. They are a life saver. I know that some days especially cold or chilly days my hip and back would hurt so bad I could't stand it. I also take a med called soma which has been very helpful. The SIJ joint cannot really be popped back into place unfortunatly you can do physical therapy (i have not been allowed to yet0 still trying to recover from all the other surgeries. The problem is your sciatic nerve runs down through your sij and it is not a smooth joint. That is why it is so painful.... I have done a lot of research on it. I will pray for you and keep you in my thoughts, I know how painful this is and I am sorry for you.
If you need to talk PM me.
Love Ya
Jeni
Unread 03-18-2004, 07:39 PM
My pain has almost disappeared

I was also having pain in my hip area (at groin where leg meets torso), my lower abdomen and my knees. The reason I decided to visit my doc was 1) to make sure I didn't have a recurrence; and 2) to get some relief from the pain I was having. If I was sitting for even a short time, I had trouble standing up without being in pain. I went to San Francisco in September to attend a conference. Sitting on the plane for that length of time was ok, but getting up was HELL. I purposely got up about halfway through the trip to walk to the bathroom to stretch. I knew I had to see a doctor when I returned.
I originally had gone to see my Gyn who sent me for another CT scan. The scan was negative. Then, I went to a general surgeon (who did my appendectomy 10 years prior). My Gyn said it could be arthritis, but I had a hard time believing that. He explained about "that part of the body" where surgery took place, and that arthritis does occur there. (I had a "bikini cut.") My Gyn first gave me a few samples of Vioxx and Bextra. My insurance company wouldn't pay for either. I was very upset and told my Primary Care doc about it. He suggested I try Naprosyn. It worked!!! After a few weeks, I noticed I didn't have the pain. I occasionally have discomfort there, but nothing like before.
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Thanks for the feedback, Jeni and Linda And, always, thanks for the hugs, Sarah.

I'm so happy you all found a solution to your pain or relief.

What's really frustrating about all of this is that, most of the time, I'm ok ... but, when it hits, it hits with a vengence. These days, my body is in vengence mode!!! I know that it, most likely, has a lot to do with all the stress I've been under... and, most likely, with the crazy, crazy weather we've been having (mostly damp, sometimes warmer than normal, other times, like now, below freezing... but, always, very damp.)

I'm still waiting for the report on my hip x-ray. The knee wouldn't co-operate and was Ok when I saw the doctor Then, in no time at all, the other knee started acting out aswell as the right knee. In the meantime, Tylenol arthritic pain is helping.
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Dear ((Dany))

I was just wondering if you had been screened for RA and Lupus... my MIL has had joint problems for a very long time. Early on none of the blood tests showed anything and then when they did the results were very confusing and the doctor's went back and forth as to whether she had RA or Lupus. After thinking she had Lupus for years, the doctor's recently decided she has RA because she has some joint changes in her feet although anywhere else. Her comment to me was that some of these autoimmune problems can be very difficult to diagnose. She often experiences flare-ups of pain after alot of activity or when the weather changes.

SHe has had alot of relief with prednisone, methotrexate and embrel... they are trying to wean her off of the prednisone...

ANyway, I wasn't sure if your doctor's had ruled these in or out.... so I just thought I would mention it.

Sarah
Unread 03-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Hip Pain

Hello, when I was having hip pain ibuprofen (Advil) 600 mg really helped with the inflamation. Tylenol doesn't help with inflamation. Also, (not saying this is your case) hip pain can be a sign that you need more calcium. I hope you feel better soon, I know how painful this can be.
Good Luck
Dorene
Unread 03-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Hey there twin...

I've had the same pain...I think I know what mine is - and why I have it now...you'll hear more later...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register