Pain in hip and knees - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in hip and knees Pain in hip and knees

Unread 03-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Pain in hip and knees

(((Sarah)))): I did have a whole bunch of tests including x-rays and blood work, but they were all negative. At the time, my doctor was suspecting RA or Lupus, with RA the most likely suspect. However, because of the negative results, my pain is being dubbed "Arthritic Pain"

((Dorene)): the Tylenol I'm talking about is not regular Tylenol. I don't quite know what the active ingredient is, because I know that Acetamenophen doesn't work on inflammation... but these pills do. And they do manage the pain more effectively than Advil does: both DH and I agree. Only thing is that the relief is more temporary than relief from Ibuprofen. The other great thing about the Tylenol Arthritic pain is that it's not accompanied with the all the side effects that ibuprofen and ASA bring along with them.

I also have a standing prescription for Celebrex, but, since it's a potent Anti-inflammatory that can affect blood pressure and the kidneys (and I have issues with both my blood pressure and bladder), I'm trying to stay away from them.

OK, ((((Angie))))), now you've got me curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Dear Dany,

s
Arthritic pain is so distressing because it has a way of sneaking up on you -- a little every day ... a little more babying the joint -- a little more pain every day, a few less activities. Before I knew it the pain was constant in my hip and shoulder, as well as my knees and elbows and fingers and toes ...

I do take Celebrex and find it much easier on my stomach than ibuprofen and naproxen sodium and everything else. My rheumatologist suggested I take Prilosec everyday to allow me to manage higher doses of the anti-inflammatories.

Recently I have been doing Medryl dose packs of steroids, which actually relieve alot of my pain for the short term, and last week I had cortisone shots in my hip and shoulder. My rheumatologist feels it is important to keep the inflammation down.

If you do have RA, you might ask about some of the DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) like Plaquenil, remicade, methotrexate, enbrel, etc). The DMARD's actually stop the antibody production that is working in your body in the case of RA and (in my case) a type of Reactive Arthritis, so that your immune system stops attacking your joint tissue. I haven't had success yet, but we just started with the weakest (Plaquenil), and I am hopeful yet to find a cure. My own arthritis is very aggressive and painful, so I cannot ignore it any day, and most days I am in tears at some point or another.

I am so sorry you are suffering sister. But please take the pain seriously. Studies are showing that early treatment of the disease process in RA can actually prevent disease progression (and pain, and disability).

Take care and painfree wishes to you,
Love,
Loretta
Unread 03-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Hi Dany,
I noticed on one of your posts that you mentioned you have issues with high blood pressure.
I have experienced some of the pain that you described and discovered that the cause of my extreme joint pain in my feet,ankles,knees, legs and hips was actually a reaction to the HBP medication that I was taking. I had all the tests and they came back negative but at the time they all pointed to an auto-immune disease. Or to Lupus or to RA. I actually even had vein stripping done to each of my legs due to my complaints about extreme leg pain. In the year 2001 through 2002 I could hardly walk up stairs and needed help to get out of the car.
One Sunday morning I prayed to God to please show me what I needed to do to face the crippling conditon that had befallen me.
I opened the paper.....( I rarely even read the Sunday Paper to this day!) and I was reading an "Ask the Doctor.." type of article and a woman was writing in about her sensitivity to HBP meds. She said that one in particular caused her severe leg cramps. That was the one I had been on for 4+ years! I stopped the meds and my leg cramps and all of the body aches disappeared in 5 days. Now...here is the word of caution.....I am continuing to search for the right HBP for myself (have posted about this quest on the forum often) But though I have other health challenges and issues I can honestly say I have never experienced that level of debilitating pain again. My DH to this day feels the vein stripping surgery (very painful recovery!) was unnecessary. I am still rehabilitating my legs and they are still not at full strength. I am on an old school HBP med currently and as I balance my HRT my blood pressure is getting better. I am a true believer that the Doctors do not know how some meds react with some people because we are all so different.
I am not sure if this helps at all but I felt that I needed to share this info in the hopes that it might help you or someone else.
This is also a testimonial to my faith and was a true answer to prayer. I was about to begin a rigorous course of potent medications to fight the auto immune "disease"(that the doctors concluded that I must have) the following day. We opted to stop the HBP med and I have no doubt that the medication was the cause of my pain!
Sorry this is so long. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
I won't say which HBP med it was on a public forum. I wish you the best Dany and pray for answers to help you!
<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Thanks for sharing ((((Loretta)))) and (((gardengal))))

Loretta: I'm so sorry you're in so much pain and I do that the new meds help. In my case, I haven't been diagnosed with RA and, over here, doctors tend to err on the side of caution where prescribing meds is concerned. I don't if it's because of the political situation (doctors are actually paid through the provincial health plans, making them civil servants) or if it has anything to do with the canadian nature That's why they're only prescribing the anti inflammatories. And that's why I'm still pressing with the testing, because I know that early treatment can make a world of difference.

(((gardengal))): Wow, it must have been such a surprise for you to find out that your meds were responsible for all your pain!!! However, in my case, I know that's not the case: the problems with my BP are really strange and unpredictable, ranging from my normal low to an unexpected high in a matter of very little time) and, so far, I've been avoiding medication.

This all goes to show just how frustrating this can all be, just to try and find the cause for our pain.
Unread 03-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Pain in hip and knees

(((Dany)))
I'm sorry your legs and knees are hurting so bad. I have to wonder if the exercise has something to do with it. Today dh and I went to a state park and did lots of walking and my feet right now are absolutely on fire! My calves feel like someone has tied rocks to them. Anyways, it may be related to the increased activity.

I'm sending s and hope your knees and legs feel better soon.
Unread 03-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Pain in hip and knees

Oh ((((Kim)))) So sorry your feet are on fire Try soaking them. DH, who has problems with his feet, will soak them in really hot water, using a powder (sorry... don't have it on hand right now) and will feel instant relief.

Yes, I think that the exercise may have something to do with it, though the hip pain was there before I started. And the knee pain started about 3 weeks after I started, very suddenly, as always

Just in case it is the exercise, I've been very careful in either avoiding or taking it easy on the machines that exercise the legs. It also helps that the owner also has problems with her knee and her mother has arthritis. However, she's a bit puzzled, because both she and her mother have found that doing the circuit has helped with their pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register