update on my mom | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

update on my mom update on my mom

Unread 03-16-2004, 09:40 PM
update on my mom

I don't know if you guys remember my previous post, but I would like to tell you how things are going. We went to 2 different doctors for second opinions. They finally let my mom have a PET scan and it showed 2 lymph nodes that lit up. She had some lung nodules (seen on CT) which her original doc thought were mets, but the PET scan proved that it wasn't.

Well we are seeing a new doctor and my mom is scheduled to begin radiation next week. The doctor is just going to radiate those 2 lymph nodes. She did finish 8 rounds of chemo but these lymph nodes are still growing. I am mad at the surgeon because he did not take them out, and I am upset at her first oncologist because she should have started radiation a long time ago.

But her new doctor and the rad oncologist are very optimistic that this could work but they said that there is a possibility of chemo after.

I am wondering if anybody had radiation concentrated on their lymph nodes? He is not going to do whole-abdominal radiation because nothing more was seen on the PET scan.
My sister was doing some research and she found that laproscopic lymphandectomy should be done before radiation to increase success with the radiation. The doctor said this would be too risky because the cancer can spill out and go into the blood stream.
We are confused as to what is the best way to go, radiation first or the removal of the lymph nodes first. One of the lymph nodes are 3cm.

I am so glad that we went for a second opinion and found a doctor who is willing to do something unlike her original doctor who said "there is nothing more that we can do." It is so important to get that second opinion.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Andie (concerned daughter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2004, 05:44 AM
update on my mom

Hi Andie,

I too am glad that you went for another opinion. As long as we are breathing we will never agree with, "there is nothing more that we can do".

I cannot give you any hints on radiation because I just had chemo but I do wish your mom lots of good luck and am sure that all will work out perfectly.

Keep us up to date.
Rosalie
Unread 03-17-2004, 05:47 AM
update on my mom

Andie,

You're a great daughter!

Your mom's full recuperation after successful treatment will be in all our hopes and prayers! Glad you went for that second opinion.

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2004, 10:26 AM
(((Andie)))

It's good your mom has you to be looking after her. Has your mom seen a gynecologic oncologist? They are the real experts and would be able to give the best treatment options. I am not familiar with anything with radiation but have asked that same question and gotten "if it's in one node, it may be all through the nodes" but I don't necessarily think that's right.
Unread 03-17-2004, 10:34 AM
update on my mom

Hve they done a biopsy of the lung nodules? It is possible to do a (fairly) non-invasive guided biopsy of many lung nodules.

It is always possible you are dealing with 2 primaries.

The biopsies are done by an interventional radiologist but would be ordered by her PCP or oncologist

Dorrie
Unread 03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
update on my mom

I see you've had a lot of varied responses, Andie. I simply want to give you a reminder that radiation therapy is a very effective tool against cancer. If it's targeted on only those specific lymph nodes, then (it seems to me) all the better. Blast any remaning cancer cells right on their butts!!

Good luck to you and your Mom.
Unread 03-17-2004, 11:18 PM
update on my mom

Hi Andie,

There is no one answer, it is so dependent on not only what type of cancer, where it is located, but also how that specific cancer responds. Along with that, cancers that respond may stop responding, or visa versa. So even within the individual, it has to be constantly monitored and treatment must be kept "flexable" for the optimum treatment. There are certainly protocols, but it also has to be individualized.

Makes it kind of hard to "know" when you are doing the right thing, sort of like a moving target. But it seems to me you and your Mom are doing just what you should. Asking questions, being pro-active, and giving it your best. Hang in there, we are pulling for you! Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register