?s 4 2nd opinion tomorrow CIS enlarged uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

?s 4 2nd opinion tomorrow CIS enlarged uterus ?s 4 2nd opinion tomorrow CIS enlarged uterus

Unread 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM
?s 4 2nd opinion tomorrow CIS enlarged uterus

I had my pap smear done Oct 2003. I *JANUARY* I found out I have Carcinoma in situ. My doctor NEVER called me. I must have been in his office 4-5 times and he never saw the lab report. I went to another doctor in the same building and they were flipping through my chart and saw it. My prior pap was TOTALLY Normal. So, this developed in about a year in a half. I am thankful the other doctor found the report. I sometimes skipped a year for a pap. Can you imagine if I had! Please call doctor's offices to get your results if you don't hear from them- mistake's do happen! Also, in October, when I had my pap, the nurse practitioner didn the internal exam and mentioned my uterus felt large. She asked about pain and flow. I said "no problems with flow, just a little abdominal tenderness now and then" - she ordered NO tests- ZIP, ZADDA, ZILCH, ZERO, tests. I started having more problems in Jan. A sono was ordered and my uterus is 12cm. Dr wanted to do a hysterecomy, after a cone biopsy, D&C and laporoscopy. Needless to say I am going to another office for a second opinion and I will be changing Gynecologists.

Anyways, now that I am done venting. I am wondering if cervical cancer is usually HPV? MY mother had CIS, and some of my 1st cousins had CIS. I had a colposcopy w/a punch biopsy that indicated severe dysplasia. But, that is all the doctor said. I go for a second opinion tomorrow. Does it say on reports if it is possible HPV? I was told I need a hysterecomy because my uterus is enlarged. What other questions do I ask- I never have had any surgery. I am a bit nervous. I started my list and I got brain fog.

I am so glad I found this site! Thank you for the support it is needed!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Karen

I had CIS of Cervix. Dr. said it was not due to HPV. When I asked her what causes it, she said, " anything and everything."
Unread 03-17-2004, 06:10 PM

My path report said CIS with cellular changes indicative of HPV. I just assume that I have HPV even though as far as I can tell, they have never actually tested for it. I'm not sure if the way the cells are dysplastic is indicative of HPV or non-HPV.

Good luck with your second opinion. I'm glad that you have another doctor that found the note in your chart. I often wonder if I ended up with a bad pap or one that wasn't relayed to me because I too went from normal to CIS in a short time period (11 months).

I'm so glad I was on birth control because I'm married and have been for 5+ years and had never had an abnormal pap before - which means theoretically if they weren't monitoring my birth control usage, I would have fallen into that category of persons who didn't need paps every year. I didn't know anything about HPV when they came out with the new pap recommendations (not as often for some people). However, I think women should be getting paps every SINGLE year. I'm living proof that you can have HPV and not show symptoms for almost a decade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2004, 06:32 PM

I'm glad the second doctor found your report, but the what if's really are disturbing. Please consider seeing a gyn oncologist if your second opinion isn't with one. These really are the docs to handle that type of diagnosis. I had carcinoma in situ of the vulva. My regular gyn sent me to a gyn/onc for fibroids and thankfully she recognized the other problem which was really more pressing than the fibroids. You want to know that you are in the best hands.
Unread 03-18-2004, 12:12 AM

I had completely normal Paps for 30 years. I began to have cervical cancer symptoms 5 months after my last normal pap. It took another 4 months for anyone to figure out what was wrong since my pap smears had always been normal. I had also always tested negative for HPV. My gyn sent me to a gyn/onc and he knew immediately that I had cervical cancer. The biopsy confirmed it.

Did they do an endometrial biopsy for the enlarged uterus? A cone biopsy only diagnoses cervical cancer, not uterine cancer. What is the reason for the enlarged uterus? And why does it warrant a hysterectomy?

I don't think that CIV has anything to do with heredity. At least that's what my doctor said.

If you are getting a second opinion, please see a gyn/onc. They are the experts and will be able to diagnosis and treat your problems.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 03-18-2004, 06:47 AM

Karen,

Wow, that is scary! Thank God someone finally looked at your file!

No matter how routine the test, and no matter how they reassure me that "we'll let you know if we find anything", I always call for the results. Doctors' offices are understandably hectic places, with all the paperwork, insurance stuff, etc, and it's frightening to think what might happen if the wrong chart slips through the cracks and someone doesn't receive attention at a critical time.

I don't know much about CIS but others here do and you'll continue to receive responses, I'm sure. The suggestion about seeing a gyn/onc is a good one!

Keep us informed.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-18-2004, 11:20 AM
different opinion

I am glad that I went for the 2nd opinion. The second doctor said that he feels a hysterectomy is basically premature/overkill. He felt that after 3 children my uterus is 'not that large'. It measured 12 X 5.8 cm. He suggests doing conization & a diagnostic D&C. If the D&C doesn't show anything, then just we'll just need to watch things by doing an occasional sonogram- see if I have an increase in pain, bleeding etc, etc. I am going to go with what he recommended. I feel more comfortable with his recommendations. He did say he could refer me to a Gyn/Onc if I wanted another opinion. If the D&C indicates something, then of course I would go to an GYN/ONC. I don't think at this point it is necessary. I think they would recommend the same tests/procedures. So, at this point it doesn't look like I have to go the castle.

Thanks,

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register