A bit discouraged after pre op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A bit discouraged after pre op A bit discouraged after pre op

Unread 03-18-2004, 07:06 PM
A bit discouraged after pre op

I thought I was doing okay but came home from pre op today and just ended up in tears. Was hoping for LAVH but doctor says she's "not very optimistic". On top of that I was shocked even after reading here about bowel preps at what she gave me. Stuff to drink, dulcolax AND the fleet enema. Sounds like I'm going to be up all night!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi there. I had to reply, you sounded like I did a few months ago...

That bowel prep is none too pleasant...nasty stuff to drink and antibiotics to take...(I had to start Sat. for surgery on a Monday!!)

But, at least for me, all that hassle was worth it...that way your insides will be calm and there is ALOT less chance of infection (in fact, I had little swelling and no real 'gassy' feeling..well, it can happen, gotta mention it! ) ...small price to pay for the end result (oh, ha! no pun intended!!)

TAH/BSO Dec '03
Unread 03-18-2004, 07:30 PM

I totally sympathize. I went to my pre-op today and am scheduled for a Monday surgery. She is going to try the LAVH, but thinks I may have a TAH after all. I am also a bit discouraged. I think I will prepare for the TAH and if it works out differently, then I can be pleasantly surprised. The good news for me is that all I have to do is the Dulcolax, so that was some good news!

I am with you, hyster sister and hope for the best for us both!

Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 07:40 PM

I also went for my preop today. I, fortunately, had a really good experience. Of course, I'm already scheduled for a TAH BSO, so what else could they do to me? (Please don't anwer that question. ) Unfortunately, my surgery may get delayed because of a bladder issue, so y'all will be over and done with this way before me. Hope everything goes your way. Hey, I just learned how to put those smiley and frowney icons in. I wondered how people did that.
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:06 PM

Hey DebbieD36 - don't get too down - doing all that awful stuff is really for the best.

I'm scheduled for a TAH on Tuesday as well. Since my doctor told me there was a good possibility of a bowel resection at my visit with her, I too have been envisioning the worst.

Today I went to the pharmacy and got all the stuff to clean me out - no food after Saturday!

I'm trying to look at the bright side - I'm treating myself to whatever and wherever I want to eat on Saturday; maybe I'll lose those last few pounds; I'm finally going to have time to read the last few chapters in a favorite book while "I'm doing my business"; and lastly, the treatments will ensure that if they do have to do something with the bowels that there will be less of a risk of infection; and I'm going to stay so busy with last minute stuff on Sunday and Monday, hopefully I won't be thinking too much about it!

My best wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery. I hope all goes well and your anxiety turned out to be for nothing!

God Bless - Di
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:12 PM
pre op

Went for my pre op today. My Dr. was very informative and calmly accepted all of my crazy questions! I have decided to have my ovaries removed same time as the LAVH. I have weighed the odds and feel this is the right decision. I felt an actual peace after my Dr's visit. I think that I am so exhausted from worry that I just can't worry anymore. I want to get this over with. April 5th can't come soon enough.

The Dr was very acceptive of hormone replacement and said that I would have a hormone patch on me after surgery. When I said that I didnt want hormones, he said that he would make a note of it. It's strange that some Dr's are dead set against them and others aren't.
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:55 PM

Hi, my surgery is also 3/23. I am just the opposite! My doctor has no specific orders for food intake/bowel prep prior to surgery which makes me a little nervous having read what others have had prescribed and endured! I plan to eat very light the couple days before anyway.

I was also a little concerned that my pre-op appointment was actually scheduled to be done last Tuesday at the hospital, but not with my own physician. I was certain I'd be calling my doctor afterwards with a list of questions. However, the doctor at the hospital was very patient with my questions. It was really like getting a second opinion. I left reassured about the procedure and treatment my doctor had recommended.

I thought I was handling all this pretty well until yesterday I had a total meltdown while trying to handle a problem for my college-age daughter. I guess it's getting to me more than I thought. This website has been so helpful.

I hope everything goes well for all of us.

Linda
Unread 03-19-2004, 12:20 AM

Hi Ya'll,

I am having surgery the day after Easter Sunday and I will be giving myself two doses of Fleet Phospho-soda. I will start on my liquid diet on Easter Day and will have to take my first dose at 3pm and then the second at 7pm. This to clean my colen. My younger sister has had lap. surg. befor and said to by lots of vasoline and baby wipes and to hang out with the porcelain god (the toilet, lol). Our family will have a big-to-do on the Saturday before and also I will have my family around to keep my mind off other things.

Good Luck and take care of Yourself! We'll be praying for you!

Kimm
Unread 03-19-2004, 07:28 AM

Thank you ladies. Sometimes it just takes me a bit to put things into perspective. On the up side.... I do get "real" food until noon on Monday AND I'm scheduled for the 1st surg. that day. I know that I probably won't feel like eating for a bit but I'm hypoglycemic and dh wasn't fond of the idea of me being without food for such a long time. I guess I can get a little mean.
Best wishes to you all!!
s
Debbie D

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register