How much | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-19-2004, 08:58 AM
How much

Hi everyone,

I am 6 weeks post op today (TAH and removal of ovaries with cysts that were cancerous). I am due Chemotherapy to start on Monday. What I want to know is what housework am I allowed to do now? My DH keeps wondering when I will be able to do the ironing. He really has been very good, but after spending a long day at work, there isn't a lot of time or energy for much else.

Also, can anyone tell me what it's like having Chemotherapy and the side effects and how they dealt with them. I'd like to hear from those who have gone through it as it's not quite the same as hearing from medical people.

Many thanks for continued support.

Tubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
How much

Can't tell you much about chemotherapy, but others here will be around to do that, I'm sure.

As far as housework is concerned, you need to see how you feel, and also check with the DR about what restrictions there are. Pacing yourself and not overdoing it are very important--but first, be sure to talk with the DR about specific activities.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
How much

I am 7wks. post-op and yesterday I vaccumed, changed bedsheets and basically did some spring cleaning. Today I'm having no side effects and feel stronger. I was just outside doing a little raking around my flower beds. My dr. told me to start doing what I want and to back off if it bothers me. Everyone is different so I would start slowly and see how you feel. God Bless.
Vickie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Chemo

I only know about the chemo I take. Taxol and Paraplatin. It didn't hit me til the 3rd day. First day-being the day you get it.The second day i had really rosy cheeks. I felt great that day, but take it easy. Get alot of stuff done before you get your chemo. You'll feel better on day 6. I had the bone pain on days 3, 4 and 5. It's gradual and it moves around. For my second chemo DR gave me arthritis med. It helped alot on second chemo. The third, Dr upped my dose and meds took the edge off. I also get short of breath. I was a smoker for years but quit a yr ago.
Will you be getting steroids? They have made me gain weight. I wish I didn't have to take them but if you have to gain a little weight to save your life so be it. Oh, on Taxol you'll start to lose your hair on the 15th day. It's shocking but you get used to it. Anything else you want to know just ask.

Laura
Unread 03-19-2004, 12:58 PM
How much

Like LolaJene said, it depends on the chemo you get. I had Cisplatin. The only side effect for me was nauseousness, which hit about the third day. BUT if I followed my nurse's orders and drank lots and lots of water and took the meds that were prescribed (Zofran and Compazine), I really didn't feel bad, and I was able to do everything I normally did before chemo. (I haven't had my hyst. yet, so I can't give you any tips there.) I was pretty gaggy at times, but only actually threw up a handful of times. It really wasn't that bad for me, and I didn't even lose my hair. The nurse told me the kind of chemo I got used to be a hospital-administered-only type thing, and they would *measure* your vomit so they'd know how much fluids you'd need. Yikes! I kept thinking of that and thanking modern technology that I didn't have to go through that!
Unread 03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
How much

I didn't have ovarian cancer so my chemo was different than yours will be but I did pretty much everything that I always did. Zofran controlled the nausea.

Ironing? I do that about twice a year! I just take everything right out the dryer at the end of the cycle and hang it up. Even my husband's dress shirts are fine. I sure wouldn't stand at an ironing board while I was under treatment for cancer! Tell your husband he can take his shirts to the dry cleaners and have them do it. He can do the other laundry on the weekends. You have cancer! Surely he can help with the laundry. Housework should not be a priority when one is fighting for one's life. Who cares about the dang laundry?! You can tell him that I said so!

That's my 2 cents!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 03-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Activity and Chemo

I would ease back into things gradually--that's what my Dr. had me do at the two week checkup. Don't do heavy lifting or really tough work until the Dr. ok's. Chemo depends a lot on the drugs. One thing I will say is that each chemo is different. I had carboplatin and taxol. The first time, I had the bone pain & the steroids to "help" it. The second time I risked my life to say "no steroids" and I had one twinge and never any more bone pain. I would get chemo Thursday and take off Friday and be better by Sunday and back to work on Monday. I actually only vomitied twice with carbo/taxol--and it was very gentle. Fatigue was the big problem. I alm currently on carbo for second recurrence. The big problems now are red cells crashing and white cells crashing.
They can give you Procrit or blood transfusions (my choice) if you become anemic (this leads to a lot of the fatigue) and Neupogen if your neutrophils (white cells) get low. (I'm on that.) The fatigue increased as I went on. I must say that within 3 months of stopping that first chemo, all my blood counts were into the normal range. With carbo for recurrences, I've had more fatigue and nausea/vomiting--and yet I was able to have part of a bone removed in my elbow under general anesthesia on 2/9 and have chemo 2/13 and it didn't bother me one bit. You don't know. The hair is pretty standard--your scalp will hurt or itch first. I scratched my itch on the 11th day and a clump fell out. Keep asking during chemo if things occur and we'll help you. I found it more "do-able" than I thought it'd be.
Unread 03-19-2004, 02:16 PM
How much

Hi Tubs.

Although everyone is different, by 6 weeks post op I was back to work and feeling good. I was allowed to drive and do anything that I wanted to.

As for the housecleaning....I would be cautious about lifting heavy things. Although you are healed on the outside, the inside is still healing.

There is a poem about dust and cobwebs and how they are the most unimportant things in life. They will definately wait until you are up to it. As I told my husband, if it bothers you then do it yourself!!

Now onto the chemo...I had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin. I actually tolerated it very well and had no real problems. I would get the chemo on a Thursday, Friday I went to work feeling good. Saturday and Sunday were my bone achy days, and Monday I was back to myself. I worked thru all my treatments, planned and hosted a bridal shower and rehearsal dinner for my son and future daughter in law, and had a fantastic time at their wedding. All while undergoing chemo.

Will all the medications now a days, there is no reason to be sick.

Keep in touch.
Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register