carbonated drinks and caffeine | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

carbonated drinks and caffeine carbonated drinks and caffeine

Unread 03-19-2004, 01:26 PM
carbonated drinks and caffeine

I promised myself that I'd give up caffeine and carbonated diet drinks when I went in for my surgery. Well, it's been three 1/2 weeks and I miss my Diet Cokes! How long should I wait before consuming soft drinks? And would a little caffeine really be so bad - it's hard to live in Texas and not drink iced tea.

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2004, 01:28 PM

I'm two weeks post op and no one has ever said anything to me about caffeine and carbonated drinks. Did I miss something? I haven't given up either.
Unread 03-19-2004, 01:30 PM

I don't understand the need to "wait" to drink caffeine after surgery. I have always had coffee after major surgery, and no one ever told me it was a bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2004, 01:55 PM

The carbonated drinks and coffee restriction is only while you're having bm/gas problems. Carbonated drinks and caffine can make constipation/colon upset worse. BTW on the coffee, I have IBS and drink it anyway. The carbonated drinks is worse because of all the gas and bubbles, I haven't had any soda pop except once in a great while since I was diagnosed with IBS (and IBS may be caused by the adeno so it may go away too! Yeah!)

If you are over the bm/gas problems coke, coffee etc no problem.
Unread 03-19-2004, 02:29 PM

Like the others have said if your not having problems with bm or gas I would go ahead. I waited until this week which is my 3rd post op for the carbonated drinks. I was surprised I didn't miss it more, but I was afraid of the carbonation so it didn't even sound good until this week.

Good luck.
Unread 03-19-2004, 02:40 PM

I am a big time coke and coffee drinker but for 2 weeks after my surgery I only wanted to drink water. Now I still watch how much coke I drink because of still having diarrrea problems but have my coffee every day. By the way they gave me coffee in the hospital 5 hours after my surgery so I don't think there is any problem having it if you can handle it.
So have a and enjoy!!!
:hugs,
Anne
Unread 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM

No one ever told me no caffene and no sodas. I was given sodas in the hospital! I will say though, as a former diet soda drinker, diet sodas are very bad for you. the artificial sweetner used in them is poisoning us. The article I read said it was similar to formaldahide (sp?) poisoning. I stopped drinking diet sodas in Dec. and have felt better for it. In fact, I believe that the results of drinking diet sodas was masking the pain from my uterus, so that when it was out of my system I became aware of my problem. Now that I have had surgery I feel great. I have not gained any weight since swithching back to regular either. Just food for thought.
Unread 03-19-2004, 03:02 PM

I was a big soda drinker before surgery but was concerned about the carbonation when I was having severe gas pains after surgery. I have been drinking Glaceau's flavored vitamin waters. They are noncarbonated, full of vitamins and taste great.
Unread 03-19-2004, 03:54 PM

I waited a week before I drank sodas again. I still drink water. I've had more problems with gas this week since started back sodas. Will be changing that soon.
Unread 03-19-2004, 04:25 PM

I never drank carbonated drinks, so that wasn't an issue with me. I got tea on my lunch tray the day after surgery, and I've been having coffee every morning since I've come home. I've not heard about cutting it out.

the weirdest thing though - in the hospital, they wouldn't let us drink out of straws. they said it would give us gas! anyone else heard that? I thought it was odd!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register