Chemo symptoms, how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo symptoms, how long? Chemo symptoms, how long?

Unread 03-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Chemo symptoms, how long?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about your experiences with Taxol/Carboplatin. I'm going six rounds and I'm about two weeks past my second treatment. I don't seem to be recuperating as fast as after my first one. I'm wondering if I'm just going to feel under the weather clear until I'm finished with the whole thing. Has that happened to some of you? Also what are you worst symptoms? Mine are weakness and pain in my arms and legs, extreme exhaustion even though my counts are up, depression, crying a lot, and stomach pain. I'm just wondering how long this will last. Last time I felt much better for about a week before my second treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2004, 02:50 PM

Hi Janey,

Although Chemo is not fun it is doable and feeling lousy is not necessary.

As I have said many times before, I did 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin.

I used to schedule my chemos on a Thursday, went to work on Friday, had my bone aching days on Saturday and Sunday where i kinda hibernated all day long, and then was back to work on Monday.

If you really do not feel well, please call your doctor. There are soo many meds out there now a days that feeling ill is unnecessary.

After my first chemo I was dizzy, had nausea, light headed, and just plain miserable feeling for about 5 days. My oncologist told me to go see my regular doctor because the chemo is really out of you after about 3 days. Well, I had a double ear infection and a sinus infection. Here I was blaming everything on the chemo and that was not the cause.

Just remember, people with cancer do get regular colds also!!

Be well.

Rosalie
Unread 03-20-2004, 04:25 PM

s Janey

Like Rosalie, I too tolerated six rounds of taxol and carboplatin pretty well.
I got chemo on Thursday and would feel perfectly normal until Saturday. Then I had a few days of generalized yuckies. Never vomited, but clearly not much appetite. I did get bone pain in my legs with the first two treatments only. As chemo progressed, the yuckies seemed to hang on a little longer. By the sixth treatment it took about a week to rebound to my normal.
Make sure you are drinking lots of decaf liquids to help your kidneys flush out the chemo. Plan ahead to avoid constipation.
Although it doesn't seem so right now, your time in treatment will pass quickly. Best wishes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2004, 05:58 PM
chemo, how long

Thanks for your responses,

I know a lot of people work during chemo and I'm pretty lucky I don't have to. I don't think I could. I just feel so weak, and then when I go in for bloodwork, the doc says my counts are fine. Maybe it isnt' the chemo at all, maybe I'm just still weak from the surgery because I still have stomach troubles. I can't gain any weight and I'm eating pretty good. Granted, by my first round of chemo, I wasn't eating much at all. I don't think I'm a strong enough person to fight this disease.
Unread 03-20-2004, 07:44 PM

Hi Janey, I am feeling like "yuck" too. this second chemo has hit me alot harder than the first. I'm getting two different drugs than you, but beginning to wonder what the next four will be like.

I know we have got to stay strong to fight, but I do think it is allowed to feel lousy and admit it. So there, I've admitted it!LOL

Hey, we are chemo buddies.....gotta just keep holding each others' hand and get through as much of this as we can.
Ask your doc for some pain meds. The bone pain affects me in my jaws, base of my tongue and causes a migraine. Nobody should have to live with that for days. Get some meds.

Gentle (((hugs))))
nancy j
Unread 03-20-2004, 09:50 PM

Hi Janey,

Sounds like you may need some pain meds and nausea meds as well. I am underweight as well before and after surgery. The carboplatin as well as the chemo cocktail (Epotien?) I take every 3rd week is getting better for me. I think it depends on the chemo, individual chemistry as well as other factors. I try not to expect anything following chemo..... just go with the flow. I took morphene for the first 2 chemos. The first cycle was just 3 days after surgery! That was the worst one because the surgery had beaten me down. Oxycotin couldn't even touch the pain I felt! I'm too humble at that point to refuse more potent pain killers. I also asked for a different nausea med when I realized I was coaxing food down with ginger ale.

I didn't think I was strong enough to go through this either but I developed the mindset that I was going to seriously kick this cancer out of me. Now I'm doing better though I do tend to tire out more easily especially the chemo week. By the next round I'm ready to the freeloaders again!

I've been told that sometimes chemo can cause people to shed pounds! I'm beginning to believe it! I'm starting to add whey protein (unflavored) to some of my foods and it seems to help. Also try micro meals..... become a grazer. Try 6 smaller meals during the day if you can. It did put some pounds on me! When I stop doing it I drop the weight all over again.

Hope these suggestions help. I did have hip pain with my 2nd chemo but I took the maximum dosage of morphene the doctor would allow and it faded away. It also helped me to power sleep about 12 hours! I've also noticed that pain control is best done before the pain even becomes an issue. The doctor and nurse told me this as well.

and hope this helps.

------------------
Linda

Early stage 4 uterine cancer staged and removed on 1/19/04 via radical TAH/BSO. Completed 3 rounds of chemo so far. Have 3 more radiations for metastises. CA numbers dropped from 384 to 107 within 2 cycles of chemo. MD said I could mix some running with walking now!
Unread 03-21-2004, 06:43 AM

Janey,

Don't get discouraged, please! You can fight this and you know we're here to hold your hand (and so's God!). I'm sure more will write in with their experiences and suggestions. You are not alone.

Tenacity, it's good to see that you're rebounding! Hang in there!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-21-2004, 11:34 AM

Janey,

Like Marl just said, there are plenty more hystersisters out there that may end up writing in. It's the weekend so hopefully some of them are well enough to have lives at this point. There's plenty of people in the same boat just my worth.

Thanks Marl, to you! I'll still take any and all ers you can spare and thanks for the ones you've said for me so far! They seem to be working! :dance2:

Tenacity

P.S. Just wanted to add another suggestion. Janey, you may find a support group most helpful! I called the American Cancer Society to get some suggestions and phone numbers. Then call the group facillitator to get a "feel" for the group. Most should not be "pity parties" but positive and solution oriented. I belong to 2 support groups in Colorado. Could join 3 but one is just too far away! I found myself talking to people that survived cancer that I thought it would be impossible to do! Many Stage 4s out there! It's inspirational talking to these people and finding out how they made it to remission! Don't know if you have breast cancer or some other type. I've found a couple of groups that were only accepting breast cancer patients. The groups I belong to are co-ed and accept anyone with any type of cancer at any point in their treatment program. It seems therapeutic for the people in remission to help the others still actively fighting. They'll probably have even more suggestions than I can think of right now!
Unread 03-21-2004, 05:11 PM

Janey
I know you are stronger than cancer. There are things your doctor and chemo nurses can give you to help any chemo symptoms you may have. Chemo affects each person differently. I had bone pain with just the 1st two cycles. Taking pain meds from my doctor and a heating pad helped.
I also had a lot of fatigue and weakness. Try to plan your day so you have plenty of opportunity to rest.

This time in chemo will go fast. Take care and write whenever you need to vent. We understand.

's
Ruth S
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:43 AM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

GO JANEY....YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Looking at your dates, my surgeries and chemos were exactly 1 year before yours.

I found that with each chemo it took 1 day longer to feel better. I didn't plan much, but I did give myself little activities to look forward to.

I also took all the meds that my doctor recommended. It did help me feel better. The time passed quicker that I thought it would.

Hang in there...and come and "talk" to us each day. It sure helped me!

S from your Sister Survivor,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register