Chemo symptoms, how long? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo symptoms, how long? Chemo symptoms, how long?

Unread 03-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Chemo symptoms, how long?

Hi everyone,

My stomach feels very obstructed today. It doesn't look bloated, but my lower left side feels painful and swollen. I'm giving the doc a call now. I took a pain pill so I'll see how that works. I really wish they had removed my colon. It's given me so much trouble ever since the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 02:26 PM

Hey Janey,

I'm sorry that you don't feel well today. When you said you felt obstructed then I wondered if you've been taking your colase and senekot (one of them is a laxative the other is a softener). I noticed that you live in Boulder, CO too! So do I! I use Walgreen'
s brand, I'll send the name later but it is a combination of both medecines. Just a suggestion when you are going through chemo. I know it helps to keep me regular! Check with your doctor.

I know the first time I went through using pain meds like morphene I would get plugged up if I didn't use laxative and stool softener ahead of time. In fact I had to use an oil-based Fleets enema to soften the stool in the bowel. I then had to use a saline-based enema to eliminate the stool. Then it was safe for me to start taking the stool softener and laxative. Always check with your doctor first.

My Mom died last year of colorectal cancer. It had completely metastisized her liver and she had inoperable cancer. In some ways we are soooooo lucky to have cancers that can be removed!
She got all plugged up and ended up in the hospital in terrible pain before and during the unplugging. I seriously don't recommend doing it the way she had to go through it.

Maybe we can hook up sometime! I know of 1 excellent support group too. The other one I'm still checking out. If you want to know about them let me know.

Try to think yourself better girl! I DO know from personal experience that dealing with cancer effectively is as much mindset as it is nutrition, getting some exercise (walking), the right support, etc. I highly recommend going to some of the larger bookstores here in Boulder to do research on how other survivors made it! It is one of the best ways to learn how to deal with everything. I own Lance Armstrong's book.... think it's called "It's not about the bike". I highly recommend it. There are other books as well that explain how dealing with cancer in a multi-pronged approach can help in dealing with it and recovery.

The support group I know is facillitated by an RN turned psychologist. She is fantastic! The whole group is! There are people there that are in remission and have been for a looooong time with all types of stages including some Stage 4s. There are also good folks there still very much in treatment.

Hoping your doctor can help for now and that you can start feeling better so you can take a more proactive approach in ing that cancer!

Tenacity
Unread 03-22-2004, 07:06 PM

Janey,

I got the exact same Chemo as you are getting. The first two were pretty yucky. I didn't vomit but I got very nauseated ,after that my Dr. changed my meds. and then I just kinda of slept for about 4 days. My blood counts went very low and I had to get injections for my red and white cells. I became very anemic and extremely tired ,but even if I hadn't become anemic I would still had probably been more tired as time went on. I know this from talking to other Cancer patients going through Chemo.

Also there were alot of aches and pains along the way. Talk to your Dr. about all your concerns. There are so many things they can do to help you. Take Care!

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2004, 06:29 PM

Hi Tenacity,

Wow, you live in Boulder too! That's neat. May I ask who your oncologist is. Where did you have your chemo done?

I remember when I first got home I got a call from someone who handled a support group. I can't remember her name, I think it was Jennifer something. I thought she said they met on Monday afternoons? I was so out of it then, I couldn't go anywhere. Can you e-mail me and send me more info on the support groups?

Lord, I could have never had chemo that quick after surgery. I remember the pain I was in. And then they would give me pain killers and I'd vomit them back up.

Please feel free to send me an e-mail and we can chat. Whereabouts do you live in Boulder?

Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions. I did also call my gastroenterologist today, and she wants me to have another x-ray of my abdomen. But I don't have to make an appointment, I can just walk in to the hospital and have it done.

Today, I haven't taken any pain meds and I went to the bathroom this morning, but it's still painful. Not breakthrough pain like yesterday. I was waking my husband up to say goodbye to him because I thought I was dying!
Unread 03-23-2004, 10:12 PM

Hi Janey,

Yes, I live in Boulder, Colorado too!

I just typed in a long reply but because I was too Smilies happy the whole message got lost. Aghhhhh! Is there anyone that can tell me (if it is even in fact possible) how to retrieve a message and remove some smilies?

The reply I sent was about the support groups. Considering that it's almost past my bedtime and I'm wanting to I would love to email you tomorrow by 2:30 PM. I've got my last radiation tomorrow after that and probably will be going to the Wednesday night support group. If you want, I can give you the facillitator's name and number to call first but I know you would be most welcome within the group. This group has at least 2 Stage 4 survivors that have been in remission for years.
I've known the facillitator previously.... she was my therapist for some personal changes I wanted to make. She is top notch!

Sounds like you are feeling better!

--------------
Linda

P.S. I can tell I'm tired because I keep editing this email! The group meeting is in Longmont and starts at 7:15 PM and goes until 8:30 PM. If you can make it than I can introduce you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register