Anyone had surgery to fix granulation problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had surgery to fix granulation problem? Anyone had surgery to fix granulation problem?

Unread 03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Anyone had surgery to fix granulation problem?

Hello, ladies!

At my last dr. visit I was told that I might have to go back in for an outpatient surgical procedure to solve this granulation problem that is not resolving itself (I will be 12 weeks post-op this coming Tuesday after a vaginal hyst. and A & P repairs). From what I understand it will involve cutting out the unhealing tissue and re-stitching the vaginal cuff. Has anyone out there had this sort of thing? I am beginning to come to the point where I will do anything to get healed and move out of this stage in my life! Other than this pesky problem, I feel like I've had a rather uneventful recuperation. I would sure appreciate any insight into this procedure from those who have had it. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2004, 05:11 PM

I had some granulation cauterized at my 6 week exam - fortunately one treatment took care of the problem for me.

I did find some other threads where problems with granulation were discussed:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...on+AND+surgery

Did your doctor say what procedure was going to be done?

Some ladies have had a LEEP procedure:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/womens_condit...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Hope this helps.

s
Unread 03-20-2004, 10:16 PM

I hope your situation doesn't lead to a need for surgery. I've read about LEEPs and actually observed them in the O.R. They're truly not very invasive at all, but I know you'd prefer to avoid that situation if you can.

I experienced my first silver nitrate treatment 8 days ago. I must return in another 2 weeks to see if more are needed. You responded to my post about my experiences, (cramps, blackish discharge, etc.), so I know that you can empathize. One thing I've found to be interesting...prior to the treatment, I had a painful area in my lower belly. It had been there for several weeks. The doctor said he didn't think it was a hernia, and that the silver nitrate treatment may make the sore belly feel better. I really doubted that as the two areas don't seem to be anywhere near each other. However, it seems he was right, because the pain in the abdomen went away 2 days after the treatment. Did you experience anything like that? It just seems odd to me!

Let me know how you're doing. I'll be keeping good thoughts that the silver nitrate will resolve your problems without the need for further intervention.

p.s. If it makes you feel any better, my doctor described this problem as "inconvenient but not harmful." Other than this, my recovery has been luckily uneventful as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2004, 06:25 AM

Thanks, Jay-Jay!

I appreciate your response and insight! It's nice to know that I'm not a freak! My dr told me my initial recovery period would be 10-12 weeks because of all I had done (VH and repairs), but, of course, I thought I would be the exception that would be doing cartwheels at 4 weeks! Well, seems I'm the exception allright - just not the way I wanted! This site has been such a blessing! When I have questions, they almost always get answered here. And when I feel whiney, it seems I can always read posts of girls who have it a whole lot worse than me! Thanks again! I'll keep everyone posted on the progress with this little imp I'm dealing with. Maybe I can help someone else when it's over!
Unread 03-21-2004, 06:30 AM

Oh, Jay-Jay~

I forgot to answer your question. No, I've not experienced the sore spot. I HAVE had hernias in the past that I've had repaired, but nothing during this particular time. I hope it doesn't come back for you. How does the silver nitrate fix that? I know it is topical. Was the sore spot at a place where the doctor could actually touch it? Hmmm. Hope all goes well with that.
Unread 03-21-2004, 04:34 PM

The sore spot was actually in the vicinity of where my right ovary was. When I first starting feeling it at 5 weeks post-op, the nurse said it was probably "torn scar tissue" and told me to reduce my activity and restrict my lifting temporarily. I did those things, but the problem never really went away. I'd use a heating pad when it flared up, but I never really got any real "fix". When I went to the doc for my bleeding a couple of weeks ago, I also mentioned the sore spot. He could palpate it by poking outside my belly, but said he didn't feel a hernia. I was actually kind of worried about a hernia as I had one at birth which was surgically repaired at age 5 or 6. The doctor said that the silver nitrate treatment might make the belly problem disappear too. I doubted it, but maybe it has. (Time will tell). Maybe the unhealed cuff was sore on the other side too(?)

Good luck in your treatment. Based on what my doctor has told me, it seems like this is a pretty common problem.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register