Severe Dysplasia / CIN III - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Dysplasia / CIN III Severe Dysplasia / CIN III

Unread 11-10-2000, 04:45 AM
cone/hyster for severe dysplasia / cin 3

dear sara, just read your post and had to write back. i had severe dysplasia/cin 3/ carcinoma in situ 6 years ago. i had loop diathermy, then a cone biopsy and was told it was all clear. what a relief! however, here i am now having a tah/colpo-suspension in less than 2 weeks time. apparently my smear has showed some changes again so the doc thinks ,as i do, that to get rid of the troublesome uterus is the best thing. he does not expect to find anything really serious, but the fear is constantly in my mind.so, sara, i am scared but somehow know that i am doing the right thing for me. certainly hope that i never have any worry again.it is such darn bad luck when those cells in your body start doing their own thing! the experts cannot say for sure why this happens as i certainly don't fit into of the risk groups. hope this helps as i have forgotten what i was originally replying about. please email or post to me if you have any more questions. i will be on this site a good deal, in the now less than 2 weeks.
sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2000, 04:54 AM
i have replied twice!

hello sally here again. sorry but my brain is becoming fuddled as i have replied twice to this post.
Unread 11-10-2000, 07:37 AM
Severe Dysplasia / CIN III

Debby...& everyone, thanks so much for all the information
that you share here. Debby, I sure hope you are doing
ok now...how have your path results turned out concerning
the nodes & other tissue? This stuff is SO darn scary.
It is hard not to want to be a big baby & crawl into a hole
somewhere...but that wouldn't help anything, would it?
I am just hoping that mine hadn't spread, but my trust level
with cancer is very low. I am in the process of having my
path report sent to me, so I can look it over for myself.
I had no problem deciding to go for the hysterectomy...I wanted to avoid going through various other procedures & treatments if at all possible, as I have a little boy to take care of, & being in the hospital any more than necessary is very inconvenient. <as I know it is for most other people, too..but I have no parents, husband, or significant other to turn to for help. I have to rely on one sister, who has very little free time, & most of my friends are far away, or have to work full-time.> I am
basically my son's sole provider/caretaker, & he needs me. But at the same time, I wanted to try to do the best thing that I could, so that I can hopefully be here to watch him grow up. How scary, the things we have to face sometimes, & I know that I'm not the only one who has basically had to face this alone. Those of you who have large families, & wonderful husbands or significant others...YOU ARE SO BLESSED! Be grateful & thankful for them! Anyway, I also had no problem with doing the hysterectomy, because I am 40 years old, & have my children already. Had two very difficult pregnancies which resulted in C-sections, & a tubal with my last one at 31 y/o. So I knew having any more children was over with a long time ago. I felt all the way around that just getting it all removed & over with at once was the way to go for me. I know there are many different situations out there, but your health is what comes first. Take care of yourself..no one else can do it for you! And pray & trust in the Lord, & get comfort from Him. I am so glad that I found this site..I was truly feeling pretty alone. Thanks to you all for all of your wonderful posts & friendship.
TAH/BSO for carcinoma in situ
on 103100 <P.S. I sure hope this made some sense!>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2000, 02:02 PM
severe dysplasia/CIN111

Hi, I just discovered this website and have found the stories very helpful.
I am 56, going through menopause and have had severe dsyplasia for several years.I also have severe rheumatoid arthritis which makes it difficult to do a good pelvic exam.My doctor did a cone biopsy which came back normal and he can't see anythng that that looks abnormal but the paps are getting worsse.So we don't know where the cells are coming from.He cannot stain my vagina to look for abnormal cells because I am allergic to iodine. At this point he is recommending TAH and I will probably be doing it soon (insurance changes make it necessary to do it before the end of the year). I don't want to take a chance on the cancer spreading bu I am concerned about the surgical risks because I have other medical problems.I'd appreciate any advice you might have. Also, does anyone have info on the link between the papiloma virus and cervical cancer? I read something that said if the virus is present it could affect the vagina even after a hysterectomy. Thanks, Diane
Unread 11-20-2000, 08:21 PM

I am very happy to have discovered this web site.
My story is that there have been multiple "bad" paps beginning in February 2000. Colposcopy showed nothing, until the 3rd time around when a carcenoma insitu on the vaginal wall and CIN III reared their ugly heads. I had a LEEP performed on July 5th (talk about fireworks). The biopsy showed that all was removed. Unfortunately that was not the end. I have HPV, which is the virus that causes genital warts. When I went back for another Pap this month, my doctor observed a proliferation of warts, this time moving up inside the cervix. Since this virus will never go away and changes are occurring rapidly, my doctor feels I am at risk for developing cervical cancer. (A great percentage of women with cervical cancer also have HPV). I can continue to be checked frequently, taking biopsies, burning off diseased tissue OR I can have a hysterectomy and guarantee that I will not develop cerivcal cancer. The latest Pap, of course, came back "abnormal" and I expect to learn this week that CIN III has returned, or worse. If I do have cancer this time, there will be no question what to do next; however, I'm in disagreement with my doctor over the issue of keeping my ovaries. At 45 years old, I enjoy the hormones they continue to produce and am reluctant to endure surgical menopause. Just a hysterectomy seemed a bit radical at first, but I know eventually my doctor might miss something and cancer could invade my body. I have been over this in my mind so much I'm dizzy.
Have any of you chosen to have a hysterectomy as a pro-active measure? If so, was it worth it? Do any of you also have HPV, and if so, how do you manage the condition? I would appreciate hearing your stories since I'm leaning toward hysterectomy sometime early next year.

Bonnie
Unread 11-24-2000, 05:57 PM
Hyster for a preventative measure...

Dear Bonnie,
Have just returned from the castle today(Nov 25th). My path report reported possible high grade epethelial abnormality/adenocarcinoma in situ/cin 3. I have been having a papsmear and colposcopy every year since 6 years ago when they first found adenocarcinoma. So, it had come back or started up again after 6 years and diathermy and a cone biopsy. So, assuming that the path report was right, my gyno suggested we don't waste any time and perform a hyster to really assess what was going on in there. A shock to me to say the least and I had all sorts of voices going on in my head!! But here I am on the other side, glad to be home and with my path report from surgery saying that there was nothing wrong. Apparently, the pathologist had misread what was happening in my uterus and my smear was in fact normal. But I am not angry or threatening legal action because I know that when it mattered the most my doc was acting out of my best interests.
Given that adenocarcinoma and cin3 are not that far away from invasive cancer, I consider that I have made the right choice never to have to worry every year when I go back to my gyn "has it come back again?"
Bonnie, I don't know if it has helped to tell you of my own story, but I hope it has. I forgot what your othe question was, sorry.. I am just concentrating on getting better and being with my family with a worry-free (almost) state of mind. Feel free to ask me anthing you would like to know, I will try to answer.
Sally
[Edited by sford1 on 11-24-2000]
Unread 11-28-2000, 10:39 AM
Cold Cone Biopsy

Just a quick follow up to my original post. I did have a cold cone biopsy on Monday, 11/20/00. Everything went smoothly and I should have the results of the pathology report on Friday (4 more days...)

I was wondering if any of you ladies who have had cold cones experienced a heavy watery discharge for many days after the procedure? I bled a little for the first 2 days. Then I got my period and now I still have to wear maxi pads because of the heavy watery flow. If feels just like a period (flowing), but it is just a pinkish water. Is this normal? It has been 8 days post-procedure. I know that I can ask my doctor on Friday when I see him for the pathology report and post-op appointment, but I thought I could get firsthand comments from you.

Thanks for all of your message following my first post.

Sara
Unread 11-28-2000, 03:53 PM
Cone biopsy..

Hi Sara,
Don't know if I will be able to help but am assuming what you are calling cold cone biopsy is done with a freezing method.I had a cone biopsy done with diathermy(electronic current), so it may be different.I had what I would desribe as a period flow for 4-5 days and then just the normal everyday stuff(technical terms here). I don't know what that watery discharge is, but at a guess I'd say it is healing serous fluid from the biopsy site.As long as it is not offensive or bloody(to a great degree) I'd be not worried too much until you saw your doc.Hope this helps and I am maybe wrong but wanted to comment back anyway.Also hope your results come back o.k.
Best wishes,Sally
TAH/vag repair/kept ovaries/20th Nov
Unread 02-17-2001, 07:45 AM

I see by the dates of the posts that it' been quite a while since this topic have been discussed. I was diagnosed back in Aug. 2000 with severe dysplasia. I had a cone biopsy, Leep procedure & D&C. Pap smears still come back abnormal. So I'm scheduled for a TVH on March 9th, 2001. I now have very severe pain in my left groin area. The surgeon suspected a hernia. I just recently had an ultra sound done and the results showed that my lymph nodes are very enlarged. The surgeon (the one that had the ultra sound done) has put me on a strong antibiotic from now until the surgery. He also want's me to douche everynight for a week (strange?). He has also scheduled me for a CT this Tues. He still hasn't ruled out the possiblity of a hernia. I'm so afraid that the dysplasia has spread. The Hpv virus was mentioned once or twice, but the Dr. has never said for sure If I have this. So, are there anyone out there from this topic that can reply and tell me how their doing and how their surgeries went? Hope to hear from you guys soon. Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register