Shaving?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Shaving??

Here comes a really stupid question....

My surgery is not until April 27th...and I havn't had my preop appointment yet...having a vaginal hysterectomy (uterus only) and was wondering if they are going to shave my pubic hair??

Sounds like no big deal but I would rather do it myself than have some strange orderly do it....

Help??....is this common???

Alex : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Shaving??

I did not think of this before surgery. But, they shaved the bottom 2/3 of me. (not slick, just down to .5 inch...) I was out (in the OR) so I don't remember it being done.
Unread 03-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Shaving??

I had an abdominal and I was shaved the day before. It itched growing back . Now whats odd is that its growing back higher than it was before the OP and irritating my incision . mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Shaving??

Alex, I had a vaginal hysterectomy, and my doctor does not want his patients to be shaved. He feels that shaving the genital area can leave small nicks, which are invitations to infection. I didn't shave myself before the surgery, and I was not shaved in the hospital.

To learn whether your doctor requires shaving, call her/his office and ask. If your doctor does prefer that her/his patients be shaved, ask if you should shave yourself BEFORE you do it. Your doctor may prefer the use of a depilatory, which will not leave open areas in your skin which could lead to infection.

Good luck with your surgery, and please don't hestitate to ask your doctor's office this type of question.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 03-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Shaving??

I was told at pre-op last Wedesday that I had to shave it all off!!

I am totally freaked out, as the thought of dealing with itching on top of pain does not thrill me at all.

Do you think it would be alright to use that cream that removes hair instead?

Merrydee
Unread 03-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Shaving??

It is VERY important that you NOT do ANYTHING without first asking YOUR doctor what his/her preferance is for surgery!!! They all do things differantly! In my experience as a pt. and a GYN nurse, it is taken care of in OR after you are asleep. The reasons mentioned by Helen are very important ones! You don't want to nick yourself causing an open area for potential infection! The cream just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, IMHO, if you are not use to using them, there are women that have allergic reaction/irritation to the creams...that just doesn't sound like a risk worth taking! For my surgery, the OR crew took care of this job, after I was out, removing only about 1" worth off the top, for a bikini cut. (had I taken it on myself, I would have trimmed more than needed!)

Just please, DO NOT DO ANY KIND OF PREP UNLESS YOUR DOCTOR TELLS YOU TO!!!

ROnda
Unread 03-22-2004, 01:51 AM
shaved

Hi I had a vaginal hyst last week and they did not shave it at all. Good luch with your surgery.
Unread 03-22-2004, 07:32 AM
Shaving??

I had a tvh also and wasn't shaved. It's funny because this didn't even enter my mind pre-op. When I had my kids, they shaved me and I had the same dr.

So who knows. Guess he's changed his mind on this one. Glad he did!

Best wishes and a big coming your way.
Blessings,
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Shaving??

Hi Again

Ronda - The nurse told me at pre-op that I had to take it all off, so I called the docs rooms this afternoon and was told that the hospital was correct. I am expected to shave it all off tomorrow. I dont like it tho, what if I cut myself.....am feeling scared about it now. They dont care how it comes off really, a Brazillian! now come on, my eyebrows puff up for 2 days after a wax....I am not going to do that to my private parts.

On the tube of that cream it says to try it on a small area first to see if it irritates, so I will do that first.

Thanks for the advise, I will try not to panic too much.

Hugs Merrydee
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Shaving??

I just posted this question last Wednesday. I was so freaked out by having to shave it all off before surgery. I'm now day 5 post op and it's growing back. Between my stitches on my belly and my pubic hair growing back I'm not sure which itches more. I was sitting here yesterday wondering if I can gage my healing time to hair regrowth. When I'm 6 weeks will it all be back along with my normal daily life LOL.

Tralee
LAVH/BSO ......Ditched it all and had dinner at the castle 3-18-04

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register