Here I go again! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Here I go again! Here I go again!

Unread 03-22-2004, 03:47 AM
Here I go again!

For the second time in eight months I'll be under the knife, this time for a BOS. I finally got up the nerve to do some reasearch, but even thought I'm in a lot of pain from endo, I still want to run screaming!!!!!

About how soon after the surgery would you usually start feeling the effects of no ovaries? I'm a beautiful fat lady with a big belly.

Nothing like waiting untill the last minute to ask a question!

Peace to All,
Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Here I go again!

I kept my ovaries, but had a hot flash the same afternoon as my surgery. So I guess it can start right away.

Good healing!
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Here I go again!

Wendy:

What is your surgery date for the BSO so we can be thinking of you?

I have faced possible BSO twice now and my doctor seemed to think I would feel the effects of surgical menopause immediately. He planned to give me both estrogen and progesterone if the BSO had happened. His thoughts are that the progesterone would counter the estrogen's feeding of the endo. I remain unconvinced on that, but I trust my doctor immensely and he has not been wrong about anything, so far.

I'm not a doctor and I think we are all individuals and its hard to predict. My mother in law had a TAH BSO for cervical cancer in her 40s and never had any hot flashes or mood swings. She was not allowed hormone replacement due to cancer. This was back in 1980 so thinking on that might have changed.

My opinion is that if you have concerns that you discuss it before the surgery with your doctor and make sure you know whether or not you will have hormone replacement right away. Some wake up with an estrogen patch on in the recovery room.

Doctors vary widely in their ideas about the amount and timing of hormone replacement for those of us with endo.

Best wishes on a smooth surgery and quick recovery!!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Here I go again!

Michelle, you are so sweet!

My surgery is tomorrow. I'm getting calmer by the minute. I really have no choice because my endo is really bad and the hysterctomy did not help.

My DR has been away until today and to tell the truth, I was in denial for a while. I have a fairly good idea now of what to expect an how I would feel more comfotable with my treatments.

I guess you never really ready to face this, but it seems I have a lot more support then I ever could have counted on!

Wendy
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:46 AM
I just had a BSO

I just had a BSO on the 27th and the side effects start right away but your dr should give you your hormones to start as soon as the surgery is done. And I do recommend you start them the minute you walk in the door. If you can that is I know when they did mine if the endo was to bad they wanted to let it die off before I started HRT/ Luckily I was able to begin premarin right away and the power surges, night sweats and mood swings haven't been to bad... I will keep you in my thoughts.
Love Ya
Jeni
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Here I go again!

Jeni:

I was going to ask for something right away even though I too have severe endo. The funny thing is, I haven't felt right since my SAH in June, and I have been having night sweats all this time.

The more people post and the more I actually THINK about everything, this is relly becomming less scary by the minute.

Thanks!
Wendy
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Here I go again!

Wendy,

You may want to think twice about using estrogen - some docs like their patients with severe endo to be estrogen free for a while to make sure any little bits left behind dry up. I've heard of docs having women use prometrium for a couple months, and then switch to low dose estrogen.

Some women do find that when they start estrogen again, their endo pain comes back.

Dorrie
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Here I go again!

Wendy

Good luck tomorrow, and remember to be a good princess!!
Great big 's
Shelley
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Here I go again!

I was born a good princess!!! <VBEG>

I love CANADA!!! We're going to Calgary in early 2006 and we plan to get a second motgage on the house to go to Vancouver in 2010.

Wendy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register