DOING GREAT......10 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DOING GREAT......10 days post-op DOING GREAT......10 days post-op

Unread 10-30-2000, 06:52 PM
DOING GREAT......10 days post-op

Glad to hear you are doing well. I had a Total abdominal hysterectomy with the left ovary removed( the right one had been removed two years prior) on 10/20 and feel great. I'm back to driving short distances, doing light housework, taking baths(doc said it was okay once all bleeding stopped, which wasn't much of a problem to begin with) and am pretty much back to normal. My only problem is that I'm still sleeping on the couch for comfort and it's a lot easier to get off than the bed..lol I'm planning on going back to work in 3 weeks after I get the okay from the doctor(I'm going stir crazy...lol). My heart goes out to the sisters who are having a rough time of it. I was fortunate to bounce back quickly and really didn't have much of a need for the pain killers in the hospital or at home. I think my fast recovery has to do with getting out of the hospital the day after surgery. There's nothing like the comfort of your own home to assist in your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2000, 07:44 PM

I only hope my surgery goes half as well as yours! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and rest! Thanks for an inspiring post
Unread 10-30-2000, 08:40 PM

Sue,

I wish you the best with your surgery. I think frame of mind has a lot to do with how well and fast you recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2000, 10:11 AM

You're right, Suzi, a positive attitude goes a long way in aiding your recovery. But even though you feel good, remember to sit periodically with your feet up. Let others do the heavy housework (vacuuming, laundry, etc.) You still have lots of healing going on inside and don't want to jeopardize that. I'm glad you're feeling so well this soon and hope that you continue with an uneventful recovery. Best wishes,
Unread 10-31-2000, 10:26 AM

Suzi-
so glad your recovery has been an uneventful one. For the most part mine has been too. Nothing out of the ordinary, but the waiting to get back to my "pre-hyster" self is maddening at times. (feeling well enough to do things, but knowing my body is not ready yet).
You must have a comfy sofa, mine is the pits, it would be torcherous to sleep on the thing. That's what I get for picking on that "looks good" in my living room instead of what is comfortable, lol.
Unread 10-31-2000, 10:42 AM
feeling great at 10 days

Suzi- glad to know I am not alone in feeling good after the surgery. I was originally scheduled to have only laproscopic removal of right ovary, but once inside the complete picture revealed itself and I ended up with TAH/BSO. I am 2 weeks post op now and no longer on any pain meds. I have started my abdominal exercise program with doc's permission, and the recovery is going well. I am grounded from work slightly longer than you are, probably because of the type of work I do. I am a phyisical therapist working primarily with adults. It is not unusual for me to be lifting someone who weighs 180 lbs. or more out of bed or a wheelchair. Good luck with your continued recovery.
oland
TAH/BSO 10/18/00
Unread 10-31-2000, 11:23 AM

Suzie- Even though you feel great DONT over do it. I feel great to and at 3 weeks tried to do laundry. BIG mistake had terrible pain for 2 days. SO take it easy. And enjoy this time off especially with the holidays coming up. I took advantage of my time and wrote out all my X-Mas cards this week.

Best of luck

shell
Unread 10-31-2000, 12:40 PM
Be careful!

Hi Suzi,

I'm so glad you're doing so well, but Shell is right in cautioning you! At around 2 weeks post-op, many women think they're "recovered" because they're feeling very well. That's just the time to beware! As anesthesia continues to leave your body and stitches start to dissolve (you have LOTS of them inside you!), you may start to feel things more and be in for unpleasant setbacks if you overdo it. Please be careful, and continue to get rest with your feet UP.

I know you're eager to get back to work, but again, I caution you. If you go back only to discover it was too soon, it is nearly impossible to garner sympathy from your boss and co-workers, who figure once you're back, you're already recovered. The initial recovery period is usually 6-8 weeks.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 10-31-2000, 03:28 PM
What Abdominal Exercises?

First, the sisters here are right. I am 1 week out and feeling too good, so I promptly blew it and spent too much time upright. Now, I'm swollen and sore again. So take it easy.
With that said, what are the abdominal exercises oland mentioned?
I know this contradicts what I just said -- but I was in pretty good shape pre-op and don't want to let this go too long. What exercises are OK (when we're ready of course)?
By the way, when I went to see my dr. yesterday because of some puss above the incision; I joked that it was probably a result of all those situps I did the other day. He told me I'm giving him chest pains.
We have to find some amusement in our recovery!
Unread 10-31-2000, 06:08 PM

Thanks for all of the input. Even though I feel great, I tend to forget that there are also stitches internally. Being a single parent tends to make one very independent and hard-headed when it comes to these things( we hate to have to depend on others)....lol I'm going to take it a little easier, but have no choice in returning to school tomorrow.....mid-terms, but will make sure I'm fully back before going back to work in three weeks. I really want to thank all for their concern and I'm so glad I found this very supportive site. It has really helped me in knowing others know what I'm going through.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register