Calling All Thyroid Sister's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Calling All Thyroid Sister's Calling All Thyroid Sister's

Unread 03-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Calling All Thyroid Sister's

i have been dignoised with Hypothyroid after my hyst. i have been taking thyroid medician for about 2 months. i want to know how long after your thyroid get normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 07:02 AM

I dont understand this. Did the hyst cause the thyroid problem? How?
Unread 03-22-2004, 07:20 AM

Mmaan, what lead up to the hyst? Was your thyroid elevated prior to the hyst?

At my routine gyn I discoverd that I had a very large fybroid - and cyst on [L] ovary - I also had blood work done - that indicated "slightly"elevated Thyroid - DR says its "borderline" and ordered re-test which I just did this past saturday - so I don't have results - my *question* is there a relationship between the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 07:42 AM

co40co,

i never had thyroid, PMS or any hormonal problume before my hyst. soon as i got done with my hyst. i had tons of problume. i am falling a part. My gyn is not much help with my these isues. so i have to change my doctor. now i go to naturalpathy doctor. he told me dew to hyst. i have these problume some female feel nothing but i got tons of problumes. my overies never wake up after my hyst. that my gyn told me.

To beargrass3,

yes, hyst. can couse thyroid problume. You body get distubed by surgery & your hormones unbalnced.
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:01 AM

Hi:
I have been on Thyroid Medication since I was 22, I am 49 now. My problem is different from yours but my Doctor did say that my thyroid level may change after my TAH and my medication might have to be adjusted. I understood him to say that your thyroid level changes with Menopause and it also can change depending on if you take hormones. Your Thyroid does manage quit a few things in your body. I don't know if your medication is Temporary or permanent, but it may take awhile for it to level out. They usually take a blood test a TSH routinely to check my thyroid level.
Hope this helped alittle,
God Bless,
D'anne
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:20 AM

i have been on thyroid medication for three years it took about 6months to regulate it. then the pharmacy changed it and i had a reaction so i needed a note from the doc to go back to the first one. also due to my thyroid i started having anxiety and depression so i also take meds for that. but i am feeling good. my doc never said my thyroid could change with hyst. i kept one ovary so i hope i won't need hormones. if it doesn't get better see an endrologist they specialize in hormones...good luck..it does get better......donna
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:27 AM

D'anne,

thanks for your reply. did your doctor check your TSH level every month? i go to my doctor every month & he see my temp. which i check every morning. i start with low doze & 2nd time i go to his office he gave me higher doze to see how i am doing. i am still the same. this is my 2nd month. i guess i have to wait & see till i get my right doze of Thyroid medician.
Unread 03-22-2004, 08:41 AM

Hi Again:
When I was first put on my Thyroid Medication they checked it quite often I would say once or twice every 3 months, then after it seemed to level out they did it once every six months, Now they do it once a year. I assume they will keep an eye on it again since my TAH. Your Thyroid controls alot of things in your body, I am also Hypothyroid. When your Thyroid is not functioning properly it can cause you to loose or gain weight, depression, your body temperature can go up and down..you are either hot or cold, it can cause your immune system to not function properly so it is good that they are regulating it for you because your body is going through so much right now anyway. Ask your Doctor if your medication is Temporary or if he thinks it will be permanent, and how often he will take a TSh level on you. It is always a good idea to be pro active in your care. I can tell you that I deal with Medications for a Living and alot of people later in life are on some type of Thyroid medication it is very common.

God Bless,
D'anne
Unread 03-22-2004, 09:44 AM

Hello, another thyroid sister here. I found out I was Hypo in December 2002. I started taking Levoxyl .025 mcg and within a few weeks I started to feel better. After a few months I had another blood test and increased my meds to .050 mcg. This past December 2003, I had to increase my meds again to .075 mcg. So, within a year I increased my dosage twice.

Because of my surgery in Jan. and going on the patch (Climara .1mg) I'm scheduled for another blood test in April to see if I need to increase my meds again. The Dr. said that HRT can have an effect on the thyroid hormone.

Before I was diagnosed as hypo, the Dr's kept telling me I was depressed and would prescribe antidepressants. I would try them, but didn't feel better. Finally, I found a Dr. that really listened to my symptoms and didn't just rely on the blood test results. Unfortunately, too many Dr'.s think that just because your blood test is within the "normal" range, or slightly elevated, your symptoms couldn't be related to your thyroid.

It could take a while to get your thyroid back to "normal". It takes some time to get the dosage just right. There's a good web site by Mary Shomon

http://www.thyroid.about.com

I found to get the best benefit from my thyroid hormone it's important to be consistant and be aware of what interferes with it. I take my med. first thing in the morning and wait at least an hour before I eat. I take all my vitamin supplements in the evening. Since I've started HRT, like I said, I'll be checked again to see if my dosage needs to be increased.

Good luck to all.

Sharron
Unread 03-22-2004, 10:55 AM

D'anne,
i do not mind to eat Thyroid medication for my life. i can deal with that. i was worried about even i am taking med. i am still the same but your post give me some hope. yes, i have so many problume dew to Thyroid. you are right my body going tru so much it will take time to heal. i have to be patient. i am pro active. i have other problume with i sufferd for a such long time & finally got good doctor & dignoised me with that. give me lession to litsen to my own body.

To bandas,

yes, my gyn prescribe antidepressants too. I would try them, but didn't feel better. i do take my Thyroid med. first thing in the morning & wait 2 hr. to eat thanks for the web site.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register