I looked at my Doctors chart & glad I did. I think! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I looked at my Doctors chart & glad I did. I think! I looked at my Doctors chart & glad I did. I think!

Unread 03-22-2004, 02:37 PM
I looked at my Doctors chart & glad I did. I think!

Hi again,

Last week I went for my monthly check up before my 7th chemo session which I had today. All my blood work was great, CA 125 was below 5 for the 3rd month in a row. This is what my doctor told me after surgery. I had Lt Ovarian Cancer with mets to the omentum and peritoneum. Last month she said I had mets to my small and large bowel which I posted about on here and you all made me feel better. I did ask her at that time if any nodes came back positive and she said they all looked ok. OK back to last friday. While I was there I was waiting in the exam room with my chart and thought I would read the operative report and path report. My omentum tumor was 25 cm and was the largest. OK I knew that. My path reports are as follows. Poorly differentiated adeno ca of left ovary, omentum, rectal implant (I assume that was the seeding), 1 periumbilical node and my ascites fluid. The ascites fluid was less that 10% malignant. I am so freaked out by the node being positive. My doctor, who is a great gyne/onc doctor never told me about the rectal implant or the node. I never thought to ask for a copy of my path reports or my surgery report before. I think I didn't want to know but after reading all the posts on here I wanted to know. She is so pleased and thrilled by how well I am doing. I guess this is just cancerhead again on my part. I feel great except for my abdominal tenderness which I have had since my surgery in Sept and the bloating I get around the 2nd week after chemo that lasts for about a week to 10 days. I'm sorry to vent like this but if anyone would understand it is all of my sisters. My DH is so very supportive but he sometimes gets as scared as I do. He listens to me but I can see how scared he is & I hate to worry him more. He is always so upbeat with me. Again thanks to all of you.

Bertha (trying to smile but so scared again)

PS: I thought this was funny. My husband called me kiwi which totally went over my head until I looked in the mirror and saw my 1/2 in hair sticking out all over and yes I do look like a kiwi now. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Bertha

I had the same thing happen to me as you did. Before treatment I asked the onc. THREE times about liver and node spread and was told NO--only to find out from the pathology report that there were four nodes and a spot on the liver. It's quite a shock, isn't it? You question and wonder...But the bottom line is that you are doing very very well. If you want, mention this to your doctor and explain how it made you feel. I know now to question and ask for reports frequently. You're doing great!
Unread 03-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Dear Ellen,

Thank you so much for your post. I really needed it more than you can imagine. I will question everything and am requesting my own copy of all reports. I trust my doctor BUT I am disappointed that she didn't tell me. Oh well we LIVE and learn. I do feel great, actually better than I have in years.

Thanks,
Bertha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2004, 05:53 PM

s Bertha

Here is staging as explained on the NOCC web site:

Stage III—Growth of the cancer involves one or both ovaries, and one or both of the following are present: (1) the cancer has spread beyond the pelvis to the lining of the abdomen; and (2) the cancer has spread to lymph nodes. The tumor is limited to the true pelvis but with histologically proven malignant extension to the small bowel or omentum.

Stage IIIA—During the staging operation, the practitioner can see cancer involving one or both of the ovaries, but no cancer is grossly visible in the abdomen and it has not spread to lymph nodes. However, when biopsies are checked under a microscope, very small deposits of cancer are found in the abdominal peritoneal surfaces.

Stage IIIB—The tumor is in one or both ovaries, and deposits of cancer are present in the abdomen that are large enough for the surgeon to see but not exceeding 2 cm in diameter. The cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes.

Stage IIIC—The tumor is in one or both ovaries, and one or both of the following is present: (1) the cancer has spread to lymph nodes; and/or (2) the deposits of cancer exceed 2 cm in diameter and are found in the abdomen.

I assumed when you called yourself IIIC that a lymph node was involved. Don't panic. You are doing well. I too had one lymph node involved in my ovarian cancer.

karenann
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:05 PM

Dear Karenann.....thanks for your post. I think if my doctor would have told me right off the bat that the node was positive I wouldn't have panicked. I know she is busy but she should have told me. I am feeling better. I have been slowly working to change my eating habits that you suggested. I think I am doing well there. My BIG vice is I love milk and cheese. I have tried the tofu cheese & it was ok on grilled cheese on whole wheat bread but not to snack on. I find peanut butter or nuts is a good snack for me. Thanks again. I knew you would all understand.

Bertha
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:15 PM

Me again Bertha.

Oh no, it wasn't me who encouraged you to change your eating habits. Must have been SirenSong. Our beautiful, slim, nutrition guru. I still have trouble denying myself anything.
oxox karenann
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:57 PM

LOL you are right.......it was SirenSong Chemo brain strikes again.
Bertha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register